Vermont Castings stove defective after 4 weeks - repair costs me $100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermonter2011 said:
Gang - this repair turned out to be far more complicated - the damper assembly had to be disassembled to repair the gasket.

The repair guys found that most of the gaskets hadn't been properly cemented when they took the stove apart - see my new post with the follow-up to my story here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69925/

I hear what you're saying about having to replace the gaskets after only one month!! However, I've seen brand new stoves in the showroom floor that have less than perfect gaskets. This is just something that people have to look out for when purchasing a stove. I know what you were thinking. I just bought the stove and am not willing to do maintenance type repairs to a brand new stove! Right? You thought you shouldn't have to! You were probably right. But, Vermont castings shouldn't have to pay for the gass and time for your dealer to get to your house, right? The dealer sounds sheisty, very sheisty!! Your post should have been titled BAD STOVE DEALER STABS YOU IN THE BACK TO DO A SIMPLE GASKET REPAIR! That being said. I would never pay someone $100 bucks for doing a gasket repair! If you're willing to give them your dough, you must not be broke from it. Replacing gaskets is easier than replacing the screen on a screen door! You're supposed to check all the gaskets at least once a year and replace if need be. I would certainly learn from what your repaiman did and get prepared to do it next time.

BTW, what kind of stove did you buy?

It is an Encore. To repair all of the gaskets that weren't cemented properly (there were four gaskets that needed to be cemented), several parts of the stove had to be disassembled. Not knowing what I was doing, this repair would have taken me all day, if I could have figured out how to do it at all. No, $100 or $150 won't break me, but this is not something that I should have paid for, nor a repair that I should have had to do myself.

Vermonter2011 said:
It is an Encore. To repair all of the gaskets that weren't cemented properly (there were four gaskets that needed to be cemented), several parts of the stove had to be disassembled. Not knowing what I was doing, this repair would have taken me all day, if I could have figured out how to do it at all. No, $100 or $150 won't break me, but this is not something that I should have paid for, nor a repair that I should have had to do myself.

I agree 100%. I feel for you, especially since you probably paid top dollar for the stove in the first place and were expecting a functional product. But, I still feel your dealer was at fault on this one. Good luck with it, it is a beautiful stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.