Vermont Castings Winter Warm, try it or replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still trying to sort things out with the house; inspection came back with a 46 page report, not 100% sure we will be able to make a deal work but we're trying.

I did inspect the winterwarm a bit more this past Saturday. It's a 1280 and says the date code is 2727 if that means anything to anyone. I know they're having the chimney cleaned this Wednesday and it did look like that steel liner was still properly fit to the oval hole in the top of the stove.

I will say they had so much ash in the ash pan that I couldn't close the pan once I opened it as I believe more ash fell behind it....not sure how good of a sign that is for upkeep.

Additionally The door "closes" but the latch only seems to catch a little. I'm not sure if that's by design or that the door is having issues closing and sealing.

The rope that goes around the inside of the door looked ot be in good condition so it may still have been sealing, not sure.

We have a VC WW that has issues. Our local VC dealer told me our flue will only accept the exact unit we have. No other unit. Thought we ought to ask for advice. Attached is a photo of our unit. Any/all thoughts and advice are welcome, please.
Thanks,

MK

Attachments

• 431BCE9E-4D0A-42D3-9600-040D4814D1CA.jpeg
    431BCE9E-4D0A-42D3-9600-040D4814D1CA.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 125
It's a complicated old insert. It seems unlikely that the flue would only work with this insert. Did the dealer provide more specifics?

It's a complicated old insert. It seems unlikely that the flue would only work with this insert. Did the dealer provide more specifics?
No, only that the flue would only accommodate the unit/model that we have and none other. No other brand or model. He stated our only option was to repair what we have. Just didn’t sit right with me.

Is the chimney and roof accessible so that you could take a shot of the top of the chimney? If not, it may be worth having a sweep come out and measure the liner at the top and take a picture or two for you.

No, only that the flue would only accommodate the unit/model that we have and none other. No other brand or model. He stated our only option was to repair what we have. Just didn’t sit right with me.

We plan on a new liner when we replace the VCWW but our sweep said almost the opposite: "If you can fit this insert you can fit almost anything else available." Now he wasn't speaking directly about the flue but just the space for a new insert.