Video Install of my Osburn 1800, Chimney Liner, and Blockoff Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I put it on the pipe and it wound up reading even lower. Forgot to update.

How much would should I be going through in a day?
The pipe should be running at a lower temp than.the stove

Alright, we have been heating the house, at least the upstairs anyway, pretty much full time from this tiny little osburn. I put a box fan in the hallway to blow cold air towards the side of the house with the insert, and a lighter confirms warm air is coming to the 'cold' end.

I do have a question about burning techniques, that I was hoping someone would help me with.

I read that it's MOST efficient to let the fire burn down to coals before reloading.

I also read that it's most efficient to keep the stove HOT.

These seem to be at odds with each other. If I let it get down to the coals, the magnet thermometer says the stove is in the 'too cool' range at under 250 degrees.

If it gets under 250, it can take a while to get back up to the sweet spot.... which I can maintain, if I add fuel more often.

So which is it? Burn to embers, or keep at the right temperature?

As mentioned already , I agree completely, burn to embers. Burn down your coals as long as you can with plenty of air towards the end of that load. When the house temp starts to lower is when I reload and take off again on remaining coals/embers. Good time to separate coals and ash for a bit of ash clean out as well if needed. This is my routine. Much depends on your available time. Fwiw.