Want to get the second chainsaw, wich one to get.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I already have Husky Rancher 460 with a 24-inch bar, which is a farm saw with 60 ccs. Want to treat myself to a second chainsaw. What would you recommend? Looking to get something professional grade. Cutting and burning 5-6 plus cords a year with occasional work on the property and for neighbors and son-in-law. Using free wood from whatever can get, no consistency there.
Thanks

if you like Husky go with a 562 with a 24” bar. You will sell the 460.
Damn, that what I was thinking, Debating between 550 and 562.
I had an old 357 XP that died Miss the pro feel of the saw. Was thinking of getting a smaller saw or replacing 460 with pro model

Damn, that what I was thinking, Debating between 550 and 562.
I had an old 357 XP that died Miss the pro feel of the saw. Was thinking of getting a smaller saw or replacing 460 with pro model
I run Stihl and since I bought the 462 it’s all I use. A lightweight pro saw is a different beast.

Reactions: CincyBurner
I really like my 372 XPW. It's a bit heavy though if you're running it all day long.

When I went to buy it around 2010 or so, I was trying to get a regular 372 XP but all the local dealers told me that Husqvarna had stopped making that saw and they couldn't get one. Finally, one small mom and pop shop was willing to look a little farther away and got me the 372 XPW from out west. It has the factory wrap handle and the engine is 75 cc instead of the 71 cc that comes in the regular 372 XP. I have it set up with a 28" bar and I really like the extra length for not having to bend as much while cutting.

Reactions: Dmitry
I run Stihl and since I bought the 462 it’s all I use. A lightweight pro saw is a different beast.
Ditto to Medic's recommendation !
I only use my MS 260 about 20% of the time now.​

Well since you want to treat yourself it better be a 572xp with a 24" bar. ;)

The 550XP is a nice saw, I really like mine, but it's not suited to pulling anything bigger than a 20" bar, at least not at professional level performance. I cut mostly softwood though and some birch, if I was cutting hardwoods I'd probably step up a size to the 562xp, I guess the 555 would also be an option between the 550 and 562 as well.

You mention it being a second saw. Depending on the wood you typically cut, I wouldn't buy a second saw that's also a 60cc saw. I'd look at a complimentary saw that fills a little different role.

A 562 is a better saw, but has very similar torque specs, and won't feel that much different than your current saw. If you buy a 562, your old saw is just going to be used as a backup most likely, and end up sitting on the shelf I would imagine.

Depending on your strength and needs, I'd go up or down in size 10cc at a minimum personally.

I run a 80cc pro saw much of the time, as well as my old Stihl 361, which is a 60cc pro saw, and is by far my favorite saw of all time. But the big 80cc saws really tear through the wood when you're in a hurry.

You mention it being a second saw. Depending on the wood you typically cut, I wouldn't buy a second saw that's also a 60cc saw. I'd look at a complimentary saw that fills a little different role.

A 562 is a better saw, but has very similar torque specs, and won't feel that much different than your current saw. If you buy a 562, your old saw is just going to be used as a backup most likely, and end up sitting on the shelf I would imagine.

Depending on your strength and needs, I'd go up or down in size 10cc at a minimum personally.

I run a 80cc pro saw much of the time, as well as my old Stihl 361, which is a 60cc pro saw, and is by far my favorite saw of all time. But the big 80cc saws really tear through the wood when you're in a hurry.
This why I was looking at 550 xp that 50 cc and 2 pounds lighter. . At the same time it shows that power output is the same 3.6 HP for both. Which is kinda confusing. Wondering how this will affect cutting .

This why I was looking at 550 xp that 50 cc and 2 pounds lighter. . At the same time it shows that power output is the same 3.6 HP for both. Which is kinda confusing. Wondering how this will affect cutting .
I think I'd look at my needs and average wood, and go from there. If you tend to cut for long periods of time, and find yourself wore out or struggling with the weight of your saw, go a bit lighter and save your back and arms. If you're strong and want to cut faster, go bigger.

I also find the 60cc saws to be the perfect bucking size for most the wood I encounter, but use my 80cc Dolmar regularly. It's just a lot faster.

I already have Husky Rancher 460 with a 24-inch bar, which is a farm saw with 60 ccs. Want to treat myself to a second chainsaw. What would you recommend? Looking to get something professional grade. Cutting and burning 5-6 plus cords a year with occasional work on the property and for neighbors and son-in-law. Using free wood from whatever can get, no consistency there.
Thanks
You didn't mention your age. I have 461 which was before the 462 Stihl. I had it for coming up eight years and its been a great saw no issues with it and never runs out of power. We cut a lot of locust and hedge. My self and my crew are in the 50's to early 60's range on the age. Year and half ago I bought a Stihl 261 and now the 461 gets more pickup time. Probably going to be buying another 261 next year so we have two around so both of my helpers can have one to run. Only thing I can say about Husky is I have a buddy that has a 372 and its been a great saw for him over the years.

I’m going to buck (lol) the trend and suggest a battery saw and keeping the rancher. It may not be the best fit for how to process wood (like felling and bucking all 5 cords in a weekend) but for how I work .5-1 cord at a time not muncher bigger than 20” a battery saw to compliment my big saw would be very nice. I’m putting off processing small load beause I don’t want to mix a fresh batch of gas. If I had a battery saw it would have been done weeks ago.

Picking a pro battery saw is really picking your entire line of batter Powered outdoor products. A booger choice than just a saw (and cost too).

Not that it makes much of a difference but the 550XP mkII is 4hp, and is the model currently available.

I second the Stihl MS 261.

I’ve been cutting wood for about 15 years now and I found for probably 85% of the time, a good pro saw with a 20 inch bar will get what you need to get done. And I burn probably 6 cord per year. I bought it maybe 6yrs ago now and I’ve found that I can lug it around all day and not get tired. Does it slow down on a 30”+ maple? Sure, but if you keep a sharp chain on there, you really don’t lose that much time.

Not a huge difference between a 60cc and a 50cc saw. It's too bad Stihl discontinued the 241. What to get depends on what you're doing. A small saw makes limbing go faster with less effort. I have a range of saws from 34cc to 77cc for brush to 3'+ trees.

OTOH if you're primarily working with the same size trees and your current saw is right for that size and how you work, then a pro saw of about the same size might be the ticket. Pro saws are generally lighter and more powerful than homeowner or farm saws in the same displacment class. They also often have better anti-vibe and are just nicer to run.

I have found no perfect size for a single saw. I use a 30cc little homeowner echo for limbing that is as light as could be, then I run 2-60cc pro saws, a 70cc pro saw, and an 80cc pro saw.

They all get used. Only other thing I can recommend is mount as small a bar on it as you can get away with. Makes any saw so much faster than when it has a larger guide and chain to pull.

I wanted a Husky 572 but I kept seeing new echo 590 timberwolves for sale from private parties for around $300 - some people buy 'em but don't use 'em. I always have to drive somewhere for wood, so I decided to go with 2 timberwolves - because stuff happens.

It is nice to have 2 saws with sharp chains on hand when out and about. For some reason, I like the feel of the Japanese chainsaws - the Toyota/Honda effect? But I have a Dolmar, too - and it is a bit of a 'madder' saw.

We are a Husky Dealer. There is zero comparison between the 460 and the 562. The 460 is a Pinto and the 562 is a vette would be the comparison. That would be like comparing a 391 from Stihl with my 462. Not even in the same universe.

We are a Husky Dealer. There is zero comparison between the 460 and the 562. The 460 is a Pinto and the 562 is a vette would be the comparison. That would be like comparing a 391 from Stihl with my 462. Not even in the same universe.
Can you elaborate a little? I plan to woodheat for many years to come and would like to invest in the good saw and have 460 as a back up
?

Tinman goes over the 562 (and an echo 590). That 562 with autotune looks like a great saw. The echo not as impressive but it manages.

I believe you, but on paper, same CC's, and output is 3.4 vs 3.6 Nm of torque. Too similar for me to own both, if they were my only two saws. I'm sure the 562 is faster and stronger, but too similar for my needs if I could only have 2 saws to work with.

Can you elaborate a little? I plan to woodheat for many years to come and would like to invest in the good saw and have 460 as a back up
?
460 is a “throw away” saw. Not worth rebuilding. It is a heavy aluminum engine. I haven’t tore one down but I’d suspect just as Stihl the oiler is plastic to save money. Get into the pro saws and they are lightweight Mag and rebuildable. Much better at oiling and have more of an adjustment range. The auto tune system is awesome just as is the M Tronic Stihl has.

The farm and ranch saws are still reliable saws but, the pro saws are way better with power to weight ratio and durability the best points. That is all brands. I have a 562 because I got a demo saw cheap a few years ago. It is every bit the saw as a Stihl 362. It had advantages over Stihl, smoother and higher RPM. And Stihl has advantages over it, more Torque and better fuel efficiency.

Find a dealer that will let you demo one. That’s the best thing to help deciding. Try and run Husky, Stihl, and Echo if you can get your hands on them. See what you like. As far as cc. I reccomend 70. The new saws are as light as 50 and 60 cc saws. Pair them with a 18 or 20 bar and they scream through wood.

the power output is not the same between the 2 saws.. the 550 is a 4hp saw the 460 is 3.6 hp saw

Your companion is a little off.. the only thing that the 460 and the 562xp have in common is that both saws are 60cc. the 460 is 3.6hp while the 562 is 4.7 hp.. and more Torque and lighter.. and is a pro saw while the 460 is home owner grade

Lots of good info in this thread. If you're anything like me, when you get your new professional grade saw, your old saw will only get used for getting your new saw loose when it gets pinched, or when the new saw runs out of fuel.

Last edited: