warm temps check chimmney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paguy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
milton pa
So I got the nc30 in october and started with a clean chimney. Weather is nice right now so I figured Id check out the damage. The terrocota (sp?) flue has zero puffy chunks of stuff, it is very clean, just has a look of gloss black spray paint. Its not wet nor tacky, doesnt seem to be able to peel, looks just like it was painted, good sign or bad?

Its seriously clear from top to bottom, in years past with my old stove I had to clean it at least 1 time mid season.

Sounds great to me. I hate getting on the roof. It's a metal roof, so it feels like you never have good footing. The heights skeev me a bit too.

I'll give beer to anyone wants to go up there and start the brush down the liner.

I checked our chimney on our furnace. I've put 3 cords through it since october and I have nothing in the chimney. Couldn't have asked for anything better! At this rate I could sweep once a year compared to the once every month and a half with the old furnace.

Sounds good to me, you must be burning correctly. I just did my chimney today and got about 1 qt of light brown powder. Probably could wait and do it once per year but I still like to get up there and check things out mid season.

Todd said:
Sounds good to me, you must be burning correctly. I just did my chimney today and got about 1 qt of light brown powder. Probably could wait and do it once per year but I still like to get up there and check things out mid season.

There's still a bunch of snow up on top of my roof. More melting weather ahead. Last year, I didn't get enough to
make it worth my while. I don't think I'll see any more this year, but I'd like to knock on the chimney cap in case
that's starting to get a little crusty.

I guess I am the only one that thinks a layer of shiny hard stuff is glaze creosote. It sure was when it happened in my chimney.

Attachments

• warm temps check chimmney
    tarcreosote.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 390
BrotherBart said:
I guess I am the only one that thinks a layer of shiny hard stuff is glaze creosote. It sure was when it happened in my chimney.

Thats what I was thinking. I suppose its probably too late, but a picture would really help to confirm.

I checked ours today. I went around the back of the house and saw it was still standing so said it is okay for a while yet. I may or may not clean it in the spring. We went 2 years the last time and only got a very little soot; that is the benefit of having good dry seasoned wood.

BrotherBart said:

That's what I was thinking. Black, shiny and on there like a coat of paint isn't a good sign from what I've read on this forum. I understand that it's the hardest type of creosote to remove and burns the hottest.

i'll check / clean it july when i am done burning like i do every year

albertj03 said:
BrotherBart said:

That's what I was thinking. Black, shiny and on there like a coat of paint isn't a good sign from what I've read on this forum. I understand that it's the hardest type of creosote to remove and burns the hottest.

Ditto here - same thoughts.

Shari

BrotherBart, that's what I'm unclear on. Is that degree of creosote that shows in your picture dangerous? It looks like a very thin layer and I thought I read it needed to be thick and flaking off to be bad. Will that thin layer ignite? Did it? I'm confused.

About the same situation I had last January, older clay tile chimney, new NC30, new to this wood stove thing. Glazed the chimney in a month, bad draft, smokey fires, dirty glass, not so seasoned wood, & could not keep a fire going without the door slightly cracked open. Had the clay tile all knocked out this summer & installed an insulated liner. Now I have dry wood, clean glass, much better draft, no smokey fires, a ton more heat, can run with the door 100% shut, can close down the air without losing the fire, & no shiny stuff.

I stopped burning immediately after this was discovered, it was the safe thing to do. Later found cracks in the clay tile tubes that were dry stacked when installed in the 70's. It was a chimney/house fire waiting to happen.

I Made Fire! said:
BrotherBart, that's what I'm unclear on. Is that degree of creosote that shows in your picture dangerous? It looks like a very thin layer and I thought I read it needed to be thick and flaking off to be bad. Will that thin layer ignite? Did it? I'm confused.

Yes it will ignite. It isn't thick enough to create a huge chimney fire but if he is still burning it will just continue to build. I in no way suggest that anybody do it but in order to clear that chimney out before installing my liner I intentionally set that stuff off. It was a hot smokey mess and left a pile of popcorn burned creosote in the fireplace firebox.

At the very least the OP needs to start using Anti-Creo-Sote to soften that stuff up and make it where he can brush it out of there. Best would be a sweep using chemicals to remove that stuff. because it is in any cracks and mortar joints in the chimney too.

Mine came from my old insert having a cracked weld in the firebox above the baffle next to the flue collar that was letting cold air mix with the flue gases.

Ill get a pic this weekend and start looking for something to soften it up I guess. Thanks for info, now Im worried.

Post a picture here so we can all see, if it looks like BB's then it could be bad, but if it's just dry black soot your fine.

I will, it is identical to BBs, just more mirror like and looks alot thiner?? Ill get a pic, regardless Im gettting some treatment and getting to work on it. Now to diagnos the cause. Pic coming tomorrow I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.