Wet season wood and moisture meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
I needed to buy a cord of seasoned wood and went on craig's list to see what was available.Plenty of wood available just can't trust that it's seasoned even when it's advertised as such.I was about to get a moisture meter then it dawned on me that with all the rain we've been getting even if the wood is seasoned and soaked the meter may not be able to give an accurate reading.Anyone have any clarity on this scenario?

You need to split the wood and test the center. Rain soaked wood doesn't get wet to the core.

I agree.

Wood is not a sponge...unless it is already punky. After a rain, it doesn't take long at all for that outside moisture to dry.

My thanks to you gentlemen.I will get that moisture meter.

Just make sure if your getting it delivered that you agree that it will be tested for moisture and what % will be rejected. If you're picking it up then be sure to bring a splitting maul to wack them in 2 to get the reading. Then be prepared to try everyone listed because your chance of finding dry seasoned wood is pretty slim. There is some out there probably, but hard to find. Good Luck!

Yeah, I wish you success, but good luck finding truly seasoned wood. I split some of a white oak today that had been standing dead for at least a year. We had the tree cut down and bucked in October. A fresh split was 35%, and would have probably been higher if I could have gotten the prongs buried. In any event, I got a face cord split and stacked in the barn at my grandmother's this afternoon. I'll test it again this time next year and see if it's ready to burn!

White oak will take 18mos - 2yrs to dry, after split and stacked correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.