Wet wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Big Fire

Nov 19, 2018
Mn
Hey Guys if you burn wet wood hot enough and your not getting alot of smoke coming out of the pipe Is it safe to say your not building alot of creosote

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My guess is that while you may not get too much once your burning hot, you’re still getting creosote from early on the burn and during startups. Are you able to check chimney?

Reactions: blacktail
My guess is that while you may not get too much once your burning hot, you’re still getting creosote from early on the burn and during startups. Are you able to check chimney?
I can but it's hard to get

Its specific to every installation and stove type. Until you can prove otherwise assume you are building creosote. The key with wet wood is you need to burn it hot and than means keeping the air controls wide open. Where you get in trouble is if you are trying to get slow burn off of green wood.

Reactions: Big Fire
Hey Guys if you burn wet wood hot enough and your not getting alot of smoke coming out of the pipe Is it safe to say your not building alot of creosote

No.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Several years back we started out the season with wet maple and I ran the stove hot to compensate. Some of the wood on the top of the stacks got wet from a leaky tarp. The flue cap screen plugged solid in a month. I cleaned the flue thoroughly, removed the screen and brought wood inside for several days before burning. We limped through that winter, but it wasn't fun. I cleaned the flue again 2 months later and then again in the summer. Each cleaning had several cups of black creosote. That was the most sote I have ever gotten from this setup. Normally I get less than a cup.

I also had a similar situation the first year, burning wood that had been stacked outside, and left outside all winter. It was wet, literally. Silver maple. Fires started hard, and I had to give it plenty of air by leaving the side door open for extended periods. After an hour I could finally damper down and let it go and let the char work on its own, but still I couldn't confidently leave the stove alone. I checked the flue every two months. The result was no different than now, now being with dry well seasoned wood. A cup of soot and ash would be all. So for me, the answer was could I burn wet wood and prevent creosote buildup, yes. Would those conditions be safe for all situations - I've seen the results in other installations, and those answers were no. It's hard to keep the temps up with wet wood.

Reactions: Big Fire