What’s your favorite part of firewooding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What do you like to smoke? I'm a cigar guy myself. I have some Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduros im working on right now and some Aging Room Quattro. I usually just hit up Cigar Bid and look for deals on past top 10 cigar of the years.

A stogie and a splitter is a good day. If only we could add beer but that is really not recommended. Beer is for hand splitting lol.
I like Patel also, Oliva, and romeo Juliet are good also. Enjoy your smoke

Like most others, I really like being in the woods, especially in the winter.

With EAB devastating my stands though, I'd say I get the most satisfaction from each tree I fell and buck, knowing it didn't go to waste and I've cleaned up an eyesore/hazard. At the rate I'm going, I'll never get to them all in time, but each one that comes down is a small victory. Or rather, once the all rounds are gathered and piled for spring splitting and every last scrap of twigs and limbs is cleaned up and burnt. I'm fairly OCD in the bush and only like to leave stump in the woods as evidence of the tree that was once there. Plus, even though it's probably not the worth the effort, I buck up everything, right down to even smaller than my wrist. It's not all that efficient, but just about everything minus the twigs ends up as BTUs heating my house.

It’s funny reading everyone’s replies so far, the commonality/near identical thoughts. Makes me think we all have a shared connection. I truly envy you all with wooded lots and large sized acreage. However, with my mere 2 acres of sage brush brings a new opportunity (as I see it). My part of Nevada is mostly sagebrush land however there are trees and forest like area/wilderness. My cutting site is about 70 miles from my driveway, and once there I’m in the mountains and trees as it’s NF land. So, I enjoy all of it. Getting out, the drive, the seclusion and sights, the smells, the sounds, eyeing that jackpot spot, getting it down bucked and home, splitting and stacking, and of course stuffing Dorothy (aka the stove) full of my hard work. The hunter gatherer mentality is indeed a good feeling. Minus the felling and saw work, the rest is a seemingly monotonous task that I’ve come to love that’s opposite the daily grind and my job. We just had our first kiddo (a son) and while exhausted now I’m giddy and eager for when he gets a little older and I can share it with him. Cheers all.

Like most others, I really like being in the woods, especially in the winter.

With EAB devastating my stands though, I'd say I get the most satisfaction from each tree I fell and buck, knowing it didn't go to waste and I've cleaned up an eyesore/hazard. At the rate I'm going, I'll never get to them all in time, but each one that comes down is a small victory. Or rather, once the all rounds are gathered and piled for spring splitting and every last scrap of twigs and limbs is cleaned up and burnt. I'm fairly OCD in the bush and only like to leave stump in the woods as evidence of the tree that was once there. Plus, even though it's probably not the worth the effort, I buck up everything, right down to even smaller than my wrist. It's not all that efficient, but just about everything minus the twigs ends up as BTUs heating my house.

I have taken down about 5 standing dead ash on my my little acre so far. Well technically some of it was in the neighboring 1.5 acre wetland (had permission from the town) but basically the same thing. There were also a number of blown down ash I took.

I have 4-5 more that are pretty tall and would give great firewood but unfortunately tough removals. If they fall wrong they will either A) hit my house or B) land in the swampy brook and but unsalvageable. If they were nice and vertical or leaning the proper way I'd take my chances but they all have a slight lean towards the house. I'm confident but not that confident in my felling ability lol. If it falls and hits me naturally there's insurance...if I cause it there's a really angry wife !!!.

I'm likely just going to have a tree service come out. I hate to pay but these specific trees are above my pay grade. They are bare and mostly just trunk and a couple big branches left so at least I'll get good mostly dry wood out of it. The bottom 6-8 feet might be questionable but the rest will be solid.

It's really too bad, the ash trees were beautiful, but like you said at least we are putting them to good use.

I have taken down about 5 standing dead ash on my my little acre so far. Well technically some of it was in the neighboring 1.5 acre wetland (had permission from the town) but basically the same thing. There were also a number of blown down ash I took.

I have 4-5 more that are pretty tall and would give great firewood but unfortunately tough removals. If they fall wrong they will either A) hit my house or B) land in the swampy brook and but unsalvageable. If they were nice and vertical or leaning the proper way I'd take my chances but they all have a slight lean towards the house. I'm confident but not that confident in my felling ability lol. If it falls and hits me naturally there's insurance...if I cause it there's a really angry wife !!!.

I'm likely just going to have a tree service come out. I hate to pay but these specific trees are above my pay grade. They are bare and mostly just trunk and a couple big branches left so at least I'll get good mostly dry wood out of it. The bottom 6-8 feet might be questionable but the rest will be solid.

It's really too bad, the ash trees were beautiful, but like you said at least we are putting them to good use.

Ahhh man don’t ya hate that. I guy I did some work for said “my brother has a lot of dead ash you can have them all”. I go look and his yard is full of them. All close to his house, fence, shed, power lines. So that was the end of that score!

My OCD loves the rotation. Fillin back up after what you pulled to burn. It’s last resting place for the next year.!! It’s amazing how many times you move the wood around. Bonfire going and cold beer so it’s all good. Trying to catch up before a big snow storm tomorrow.

Attachments

• BE29EC30-2779-4565-96DB-DC56C885BF6A.jpeg
    BE29EC30-2779-4565-96DB-DC56C885BF6A.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 76
My OCD loves the rotation. Fillin back up after what you pulled to burn. It’s last resting place for the next year.!! It’s amazing how many times you move the wood around. Bonfire going and cold beer so it’s all good. Trying to catch up before a big snow storm tomorrow.

We are doing the same. I have 4 cords of rounds I've prepared in my driveway. Got 2 hours on the splitter after work today and I'll be on it all day tomorrow getting what I can done before the snow. Just temp stacking on the driveway for now so I can tarp it through the snow. My tractor won't make it over the hills in the yard to my wood racks with snow on the ground. Here's the maple stack:

20210130_171254.jpg