What Am I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My gut tells me it was a waste of time processing it lol. It's like balsa wood light and it's soaking wet. But it was there so I did it and it'll be a few shoulder season BTUs in a few years.

Reactions: Woody Stover
But it was there so I did it and it'll be a few shoulder season BTUs in a few years.
Wood like that will often dry in one year...and it doesn't coal up like good heavy hardwoods do, so you can crank some serious BTU's outta your stove if you need to (like polar vortex and you need to load every 4 hours just to try n keep the house temp up...tough to do with oak...reload that often that is, too many coals)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Wood like that will often dry in one year...and it doesn't coal up like good heavy hardwoods do, so you can crank some serious BTU's outta your stove if you need to (like polar vortex and you need to load every 4 hours just to try n keep the house temp up...tough to do with oak...reload that often that is, too many coals)
Oh yeah I remember past polar vortex coal mountain situations. It's the one time having only hardwood feelsbad. I'll put this balsa to good use.

My gut tells me it was a waste of time processing it lol. It's like balsa wood light and it's soaking wet. But it was there so I did it and it'll be a few shoulder season BTUs in a few years.
Being you mentioned the lightness of it thinking Aspen. I've cut some of that some years ago. Usually they are landscape trees in this neck of the woods.

Honestly looks exactly like Douglas Fir to me… except that Douglas Fir isn’t as light as you describe. It still has roughly 2X the density compared to a Poplar/Cottonwood.

Last edited:
and catalpa does have a strong odor green and when it burns it smell like chit. had some here a few years ago

Final answer: it's BTUs lol. I'll just let it rip during shoulder season in 3 years. ::-)

Here is a mature Catalpa growing on our commercial property. Bark looks the same to me.
20230131_141435.jpg
20230131_141449.jpg

If it weren’t for the bark I would have guessed cedar.

It's hemlock.

I have about a cord of it in the inventory and probably burned about 5 cords of it over time. Probably about 15 more cords standing around the house that'll all be dead in the next 5-10 years from the wooly adelgid.

It's way lighter in weight than I expected, dries fast once split. Throw in a couple of peices with your hardwood loads, it lights easy and just makes a nicer fire. For me, it's in the same category as tulip poplar, spruce, pine and sassafras. Great for shoulder season, easier starting fires, and helps prevent excessive coal build up when running hard.

Reactions: fbelec
Just because nobody has said it…

Red Oak!

There, it’s now in the thread. I don’t see any attributes why I’d think it’s red oak, but I think it must be an unwritten rule that it has to be called on every wood guessing thread.

Just because nobody has said it…

Red Oak!

There, it’s now in the thread. I don’t see any attributes why I’d think it’s red oak, but I think it must be an unwritten rule that it has to be called on every wood guessing thread.
Red Oak that's "incredibly light". I would love some of that!