What have you done to your stove/chimney today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VirginiaIron

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Central Virginia
I checked the top of the stove for straightness and cleaned out the firebox and gave my stove a thorough inspection from the outside while checking seams and welds. From the inside via the firebox and the throat, I checked welds, looked for corrosion, and assessed the condition of the baffle. I checked the door-gasket seal. I closely inspected those areas under the door and around the front plate for cracks since previous designs were troublesome in these areas. I cleaned the glass and I got a few things ready for a chimney cleaning and inspection.

I thought about running some new pipe. Looked at the stove in the house thought about cleaning it. Then cleaned the shop looked at that stove moved all the crap away from it and thought about cleaning that too. And running new pipe. Then got busy thinkin about the 4th and went into town to collect supplies to smoke meat and keep me watered while doing so. Got some new pool toys too. So really. Nothing looked at my pile of wood to split and figured my buddies will do it on the 4th.

I thought about running some new pipe. Looked at the stove in the house thought about cleaning it. Then cleaned the shop looked at that stove moved all the crap away from it and thought about cleaning that too. And running new pipe. Then got busy thinkin about the 4th and went into town to collect supplies to smoke meat and keep me watered while doing so. Got some new pool toys too. So really. Nothing looked at my pile of wood to split and figured my buddies will do it on the 4th.
Mmmmmm... Smoked meat.

Brushed chimney, replaced 2 gaskets on the Progress, sucked out all the nooks and crannies with a 1" copper pipe and 45 offset connected to vac to really get in there, cleaned glass, now it sits. Waiting.

Just brought home a little 450 pound surprise.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Just brought home a little 450 pound surprise.

Well, it's probably not a pony so I'm going to guess another wood-burning appliance?

Actually the other day, I changed the 6" offset for a 12" offset to move the new BK Ashford closer to the wall to
get the correct hearth-pad distance in front of the stove. The instillation is now complete.:cool:
IMG_20170703_085612017 (Medium).jpg

Actually the other day, I changed the 6" offset for a 12" offset to move the new BK Ashford closer to the wall to
get the correct hearth-pad distance in front of the stove. The instillation is now complete.:cool:
View attachment 198322
'Bout time! :)

Smoked a turkey for the 4th....Mmmmmm, smoked meat. ;) Took a picture st the beginning, but forgot to take a picture at the end...everyone was starving.
Then I got a belated Father's Day gift...a new chimney brush (so now I don't have to beg & borrow one anymore). Also recovered part of my stacks before the rain came.
Oh...and I put in 2 celling fans in the kiddos rooms. Busy day.

All I've done is continuing to think about buying that sooteater chimney cleaner off Amazon, and also beginning to get back into wood scrounge mode.

Well, it's probably not a pony so I'm going to guess another wood-burning appliance?
Sitting in the garage now. It was a bit of an adventure loading and unloading. I managed to get it done with just a small blood blister after getting my fingertip pinched at one point. Next will be a repaint.
Avalon Rainier.jpg

Last edited:
Sitting in the garage now. It was a bit of an adventure loading and unloading. I managed to get it done with just a small blood blister after getting my fingertip pinched at one point. Next will be a repaint.
View attachment 198344

Nice score...of the non-wood kind. :)

All I've done is continuing to think about buying that sooteater chimney cleaner off Amazon, and also beginning to get back into wood scrounge mode.
That sounds like some serious bidness with creosote. Does that stuff really work?

Nothing yet. Will be calling the chimney sweep this month to have it cleaned for the upcoming heating season. Ordering our firewood for delivery this month as well. Hard to believe we'll be lighting our first fire in probably 3 months.

That sounds like some serious bidness with creosote. Does that stuff really work?

It's a chimney brush substitute. a "spinning chimney whip." Never used one but I've heard good things, plus many positive reviews and supposedly does a better job than a brush. Someone here must have one....

It's a chimney brush substitute. a "spinning chimney whip." Never used one but I've heard good things, plus many positive reviews and supposedly does a better job than a brush. Someone here must have one....
I haven't built up any creosote to speak of. The soot eater is a breeze for me to use... I can set up, brush, and clean up in about an hour. A lot of that is removing the indoor portion to the outside, cleaning it, and replacing it.

2-3 cups of soot per year. Half of that was ash resting inside the clean out access this year! I never would have thought wood stoves could burn that clean!

It's worked great for our stove too. Less than a cup of sote and dust a year so far. Dry wood and a well insulated, straight-up chimney helps.

OK. Doesn't soot eater and/ or creosote removing chemicals void your warranty?
Edit- sorry, I missed the post from Woody.

Last edited:
Nothing yet. Will be calling the chimney sweep this month to have it cleaned for the upcoming heating season. Ordering our firewood for delivery this month as well. Hard to believe we'll be lighting our first fire in probably 3 months.

Ordered mine in April,just after taxes.. Takes the whole summer to dry out"semi seasoned"

View attachment 198344

Nice! I bought/installed a used Avalon about 20 years ago. Good stove. Mine had the 24K gold plated door.

The Seefire stove I removed recently also had the 24K gold door. The Seefire must have been burning pretty cleanly because I only got about 1/2 cup of fine ash out of a 20 foot flue after about 8 cords of wood and lots of cold starts. Flue was clean as a whistle.