What have you done to your stove/chimney today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Insulated my liner with the Everguard pour down mix.

How do you insure the liner is centered when using a pour down mix?

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I didn't. It does contact the existing flue in places, but the flue is short maybe 12 feet. I figure that it's better than nothing.

The liner looked good. No build up, no gooey stuff, no shiny. It looked like the inside had been sprayed with flat black paint.

I got one step closer to cleaning the Chimney today. I have the ladder tossed onto the roof (i need the ladder for the chimney cleaning, not for the roof access :))

I also finally got the ash out from last year, so I can see how much creosote buildup there is [or isn't hopefully] :)
EmIQadKy27UOX-ab4fzhDwkcbvknRh1HeEyK_ALYAsz7dcXM3VnLi-n3IGqYGrfqgtAwg4wxXv1EEA1_rMg=w523-h697-no.jpg

Started telling the wife she will have to take her "stove decor" down soon. Did my usual visual checks of stove then went out to check the OAK intake and WHAM! Got lit up soon as I touched metal. Thermo controlled stove blower was still plugged in the wall (swear I unplugged it) and was turned on. Guess I'll find a short somewhere.
I don't like that you got shocked but I do like that you were working on your stove assembly and found a hazard that could've potentially ended in a fire or much worse than your shocking discovery. Good thing you don't have a pacemaker.

I don't like that you got shocked but I do like that you were working on your stove assembly and found a hazard that could've potentially ended in a fire or much worse than your shocking discovery. Good thing you don't have a pacemaker.
Most blower systems have the ground wire attached to the chassis to avoid this kind of hazard. Has me wondering if the outlet is properly grounded.

@ Dobish- You have two helpers?

Most blower systems have the ground wire attached to the chassis to avoid this kind of hazard. Has me wondering if the outlet is properly grounded.
Something's not right.

@ Dobish- You have two helpers?

yeah, they are good a vacuuming. They both want to get on the roof with me, but that's not going to happen for a few more months :)

i'm now 2 steps closer to being ready for winter! i cleaned the chimney, cleaned the cap out real good (there were some crusties in there), and got about 2/3 of an ash pan full of soot. I still need to vacuum it out and put it all back together, but that is easy peasy!

Finished cleaning everything on Saturday. Now we are ready for the seasons first fire.

Get swept today, minimal cresote, as they told me, also checking inner MC for stash c/s/s last spring, Ash-18% (1 cord), Oak/Maple- 28% (1.5 cord). We are really, just waiting for the temperature to drop, well, it will be a while in northeast as we are still enjoying the beach around high 70s...

Need to put up the chimney still and cut it into the roof overhang. Then the task of moving the stove from the house into the addition that I still haven't cut an opening through the existing wall. Man I have a lot of work in front of me before winter is locked in.

A local chain store had factory upgrade blowers for my Englander NC30 on sale for 99 Canadian pesos (about $80USD). Im still remodeling the stove room and havent even hooked up the new stove yet. The whole thing including the upgraded blower are brand new....but for that price, Ill buy a spare.

We have a problem here with wood smoke (fine particles) in the winter when the air is still and they hang on the ground.

So we have to "check before burning" to see if it's OK. As you can see it's always discouraged.

This all sounds like some scary movie.

Just be glad you didn't live there in the 1970's! It was way scarier. People actually got sick and died from it. Thousands of them.

Cleaned the flue and replaced the gasket that the baffle sits on today. Have 2 cords ash, 1 cord white pine, and 2 cords of red oak stacked and covered.
Bring on the cold weather, I think I'm now ready. Hit 90 today, what the heck!
20170923_081508.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday i repointed the top 6 or 7 courses took out the old liners installed a new liner and poured a new crown on the chimney of our new house. Now i just have to move the furnace and redo the ductwork before it gets cold

This was from the chimney clean the other day....
wJwemjsOxy4pErGFdF6eC5pyPk1Y7Bt3hT-BKhbUOib32w9Cqhgi-1-I28KEJ6vcWNSdvoCbkKJsL4iNa1g=w510-h679-no.jpg

I cleaned the liner and stove today. I looked over the stove a fair amount and checked the trouble areas people have complained about. All looks good, even the screws in the air tubes.

20181019_163839.jpg 20181019_163826.jpg

These photos represent 2.7 cords of firewood consisting of oak, tulip poplar and some pine.

Last edited: