What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I ripped out a few small ponderosa pines 3 years ago when I put in the septic system. They were decked next to the driveway, and I was concerned about the fire hazard. Today I cut them up, no splitting required. I pitched a few pieces in tonight. I figure it is better to burn them in the stove than to leave them in the slash pile that will be burned when there is snow on the ground. It will be cold tonight, so I will load the stove with tamarack before bed.

Had an arctic air front come through, temps were negative to single digits with highs today 20-30s back to teens tonight; had some small odds & ends of mahogany and juniper from last year so threw those in for today. Had some nice secondaries going for a while.
380459FA-4E34-42B6-B0A1-B1C486EB463F.jpeg
6FDF2734-5583-45E3-BE49-F90937F3B722.jpeg
0C88F999-39FE-4CF6-8407-70728F93B021.jpeg

I had our first fire in the basement stove Sunday morning and I lit the insert upstairs upstairs tonight as well it has been a cold rainy day. temps are in the 40's but the rain has made it feel miserable. The temps for the coming weeks don't look very warm so it looks like burning season is here. Ash and walnut in the stoves now.

NOAA is calling for a low of 15 in the morning, even though I cleaned the majority of the pellet stove at the end of last year, I went through it a week or two ago and it was already to go. Tonight I put one bag of pellets in for the overnight heat.

More ash and walnut we has lows in the 30's last night with the next few nights chilly. We are supposed to see 60's by the end of the week.

When we built our house the builder shoved all the trees and brush into a pile on the edge of our property. The pile is mostly hemlock and pine, so all of my neighbors have assured me it's "garbage" and that there is "no burnable wood" in it.

So I decided to salvage what I could anyway, bucking and splitting it over the last year or two. Now the hemlock is seasoned and I've been burning it exclusively over the last few weeks. It's in my stove now on this 30 degree day.

Either I'm an idiot and my house is going to blow up any second now, or this "garbage wood" isn't so bad after all.

After my first two (ever) loads (maple) in the BK Chinook 30 Thursday and Friday, yesterday the wife had some people over, so I put some oak, cherry and sassafras uglies in for an evening with a flame show.

Back to the minisplit as it's near 50 maxing out at near 60 here today.

We had a pretty nice day yesterday 50's but then chilly overnight. Rain and temps falling now so both stoves are going to keep the house warm. They are talking about snow tonight but nothing will stick the ground is to warm. They are calling for temps in the low 30's. Me and the dogs will bring in more wood today and fill the kindling barrel up.