What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stuck some Slippery Elm & Siberian Elm in tonight. Looks like I won’t be needing any heat the upcoming week.Forecast is for upper 70’s - low 80’s daytime, mid-upper 50’s night time.

Close to 70 this week as well.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We're suppose to be around 38 in the morning so we have some pine going for heat, the forecast for the next 10 days doesn't look bad temp wise.

We had 29 this morning with a pine fire, tonight we'll be in the mid 60's according to our local report so we'll go without a fire.

First fire of the season
D56F1EBB-C4D7-4187-9429-176D8F595414.jpeg

Elm uglies have been getting burned thus far this week, I love burning all the the odd sized junk this time of year. It's nice having enough of that stuff around to carry you through shoulder season and to delay getting into the good splits until the cold really starts to settle in. About to put in medium sized cherry splits for tonight. There's some upper 20 degree lows predicted for next week so I'll probably mix cherry with some of my "punky" oak and hickory splits for the night burns.

Just another load of shoulder season wood (White Pine) we've burned close to two face cord so far. We had six face cord ready for this year, we usually burn four face in the fall and the last two in the spring.

Reactions: Riff and MMH
Arborvitae according to my forester cousin. They were standing close to my house and were starting to rot out in the middle, so my dad and I took them down.

I get about 1/2 the burn time that I would out of my normal ash, but it's good for bringing up the house temp a little bit on these days when its sunny and not too cold outside. And I needed to get rid of the wood anyway, may as well cut it up and burn it.

It's a windy 43 with rain....that we needed terribly. I got four 3-4 inch post oak rounds going now. It's going to be a high of mid forties tomorrow so the 74 will stay fired up til Tuesday when we get a lil warm up.

having a chilly week; temps tonight supposed to hit 15. First night fire, still pine and some odd pieces of juniper to fill the gaps.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Its 43 now with a small 3 post oak round load going. It's going to get down to 33 tonight and the 7 day looks like regular burns starting every night from here on out and a few all day fires with highs in 40s. Actually a tiny chance of snow Tuesday but it wont be much if anything.

Reactions: MMH
82 degrees today in central NC. The stove sits empty but cleaned and ready to go. Our first frost usually around mid-November.

Some coals - I hope. Stretching the reload on the Kuuma as late as I can, so as to have a decent fire left in the morning. 25 now headed for single digits by morning with a foot or so of snow and windy overnight/tomorrow. We mostly only have lodgepole pine, and some Douglas fir to feed. Lodgepole isn't very dense, so it's hard to get a lot of BTUs in the firebox for the night. I save most of the fir for the real cold, as it's somewhat more dense.
If you're east of Montana, heads up - the first taste of winter is here now, and it'll be there soon!