What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Currently 31F with 20 mph sustained wind, a small load of White Ash. Learning this stove does better with wood south of 18% MC, our Ash and Oak is providing some difficulty with controlling the off gassing MC of 18-22% depending on the size of the pieces.

Had an overnight fire of 3/4 firebox oak, 22 outside. Will keep the stove going on low for the day to supplement a bit of heat; it's going to be 40 and warming up overnight.

Our low this morning was 7.2 degrees, more Cherry in the Liberty.

The 10 day forecast doesn't look that bad for this time of year so we'll put in two loads of Cherry this afternoon and save the better stuff for when it gets really cold.

We do bring in a certain amount of American Hophornbeam for overnight burns when we use the wood stove.

Has this winter been colder in your area than usual ?

Not necessarily, we usually get cold snaps like this however this seems early. Normally this is January-early February weather, and typically we only have a couple of them. This seems early, and more frequent. Although this is purely anecdotal and January is just a couple days away.

Not necessarily, we usually get cold snaps like this however this seems early. Normally this is January-early February weather, and typically we only have a couple of them. This seems early, and more frequent. Although this is purely anecdotal and January is just a couple days away.
We had a couple weeks of colder weather earlier so we switched from pine to cherry, I'm just waiting for the single digit days and the minus temp nights before we get into the better hardwood.

We heat from the basement so there are nights that we use the pellet stove for the constant heat, last year we burned 53 bags of pellets.

This is our first year with a propane stovetop / oven which really heats up the place nice when cooking.

Currently in the 20s feels like 11 ish; supposed to warm up and snow tonight. All pine tonight.

779D0F2C-A3F0-492B-9E0D-51DAE5C0D3BB.jpeg

Heading to around 5* tonight more so more Osage in the stove.
I gathered my first Osage today, it has an odd color to it.

Our temp is currently 24, going down two more degrees for a low. We've got red oak and black locust in the stove.

First reload of the new year, with a temp of 32°, snow and freezing drizzle is 4 forearm sized red oak splits. CAT temp is nigh on 850°ish, primary air is mostly turned down. Ladies and gentlemen, the lowly 91 is on cruise mode till later this PM. ==c

I have been throwing in some smaller locust pieces this afternoon. I filled the garage back up this morning and then spent a few hours in the woods with the younger lab and we ended up soaked and muddy from the rain and melting snow. So a warm stove sounds good right now.

It was 74 in the house when I got up. I had to run to town for work this morning to do water samples and check the roads so the wife fired the first load off for the new year.....white oak rounds and hickory. I'm still on coals from that load but I have more of the same on deck to go in here in a hour or so.

Finished up my stack of hickory now into a stack of oak, ash and cherry mixed. The stacks of wood in my long wood shed are on 10 ft pallet sections and 8 ft pallet sections. The 10 ft sections equal 1.8 cords of wood and the stacks on the 8 ft sections of pallets in my woodshed will give me 1.5 cords of wood. My used up hickory stack was on a 10 ft section so 1.8 cords used so far during "normal" winter burning. After the mixed hardwood stack I'll be on be another 1.5 cords of just oak. I am guessing I will use all of that wood before Spring shoulder season and will probably dip into my 1.5 cord stack of ash and Norway maple but hopefully not need all of it before I'm back into true shoulder season woods of cherry, pine and birch. All these newly empty bins will be filled with ash and silver maple that are currently sitting on extra 10 ft pallets I have in my yard. Now that it is January I hope to start getting some more tree service log drops to keep my future wood supply up.