What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just loaded a full box of Red Oak, White Ash, and some Sass. Still learning but liking the new stove. Mid 30s and damp.View attachment 270136

mrd1995, our stove back wall resembles your stove back wall. LOL

1608787802898.png

mrd1995, our stove back wall resembles your stove back wall. LOL

View attachment 270220
Looks very similar indeed, we are very indecisive individuals and still deciding what to hang behind it. We are leaning toward corrugated roofing at the moment. With a live edge EAB killed White Ash slab. You have any plans for yours?

37 when I woke up so just tossed on a half load of maple to take the edge off. Going to be 55 today, 52 overnight, and 58 on Xmas. I'll be letting this go out and I honestly might not need to relight until tomorrow afternoon. We'll see.

20201224_080903.jpg

Its been an interesting year of temp ups and downs. I burned mostly poplar and uglies through shoulder season then during the extended cold snap late nov/early dec I plowed through the ash I cut from standing dead this fall. Im on to the good stuff now, 16% maple and oak and the weather decided to go bananas on us! I wish I had some more poplar...I hate burning the good stuff on warm days. C'est la vie. At least there's good stuff to burn!

Looks very similar indeed, we are very indecisive individuals and still deciding what to hang behind it. We are leaning toward corrugated roofing at the moment. With a live edge EAB killed White Ash slab. You have any plans for yours?

I'm a procrastinator. I'm going to put limestone slabs with grouting, under and behind the stove. We have a lot of it around here and I still need to gather more. I installed the stove legs on slabs so I could get it in place and the inspection done. Once it was usable there were more important things to be done, like fishing and boating...

Attachments

• IMG_6823.JPG
    IMG_6823.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 90
Currently 2F out, got down to negatives again last night, house was 69 when I got up. Stuffed some pine in there. Will probabaly try to burn the coals down rest of the day. Another night forecasted for negatives.

Currently 12 out head for a low of 10 with 0 windchill...letting the stove burn down some white oak and I will fill her back up with some 4 year old white oak and black locust and it will be toasty in here Christmas morning...

Merry Christmas! Currently 27F, wind chill of 20F, and flurries. Have pine, cherry, and black walnut keeping the house toasty warm so the kids can run around in their pjs.

Its 63 degrees here and POURING rain. House is 68 still from my last fire which was only a half load a 7:30 am yesterday. Next fire will be either late tonight or tomorrow morning depending on what the temps do.

I'm not gonna start a fire with a 5 degree temp difference that's for sure!

It's 27 here now with a mix load of hickory, black jack and post oak. Expecting a nice warm up tomorrow with a high of 60 for the next two days then a cool down once again.

Reactions: Riff and MMH
A rather random mix of 3 Eastern red cedar, 3 maple, 2 3" dia oak branches, 4 5*5*5" sassafras pieces, and a white oak round 5" dia and 7" long. (Yes, random scrounges, not sorted well...). About 18% for the oak (well an exact same size piece from the same trunk), and less for the rest. Firebox 3/4 full. Just started. Cat 3/4 active range, Tstat half swoosh.

40 outside now, going to 28 minimum - this will make for a nice waking up tomorrow.

Reactions: Riff and MMH
Been cold last 2 days here. High of 10 yesterday. Elm for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Was a nice day for sitting around the stoves.

Attachments

• 16089569767533756757796143321384.jpg
    16089569767533756757796143321384.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 108
Temp is about 30°, that calls for an equal load of white and red oak, with a nice mix of hickory. Smells good enough to eat.
Love the smell of hickory.

Reactions: heavy hammer
19 degrees right now, that should be the low for tonight. High of 46 tomorrow, I will let it die down and clean her out. I've been burning whatever I grab off of the rack. Mostly oak with some elm mixed in. The stove's been burning the candle at both ends today.

Had dialed it in right ,or not, yesterday night: a good bed of coals left this morning at 28 F outside, but a bit colder than I had wanted at 63 inside. Fuel in the stove needed to be a bit more (more hardwood mixed in).

Anyway, loaded with mostly cedar, and some oak and maple. Will see how long it will last today.

Set the Tstat on high at 5.15 to bring down this stuff (red cedar, sassafras, and a bit of maple and oak) faster so I can better stuff the firebox with red oak tonight for the overnight fire.

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_172219939.jpg
    IMG_20201226_172219939.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 96
Reloaded after 12 hrs on mostly soft woods. Raked coals to the front, laid down big splits and smaller ones on top and in front. (6" wide, 4" thick).

Now only 4 yrs old red oak. Biggest splits I have so far (used to split smaller before the BK...). Had to go E/W for the length.

Should make it to tomorrow. 29 F outside, going to 22 F. Lowest temp so far for me with a BK.

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_200355464.jpg
    IMG_20201226_200355464.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 97