What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finally got snow looks like a white Christmas after all! Got off this morning and plowed the driveway and shoveled, around 3-6”. Threw some trusty pine in the stove to warm the house up. Brought some mahogany and juniper in for the next couple nights.

95A99CB1-F7A3-4DCE-9D90-44BB51D0188D.jpeg

Brief warm spell ended today. Man, I really hate to warm, humid days this time of year. Dropped from 60* to 45* in 1.5 hours. Will be in the mid-30s tonight so stove is back in service. Still burning lots of post oak with white oak mixed in. Wood I will burn this winter includes post oak, white oak, mockernut hickory, red maple and water oak. Good to be burning again after a slow start to the season.

It's 24, spiraling to 21 for a low. I've got a mish mash of wood, oak, hickory, bradford pear and black locust. And some kind of unidentified white soft wood. She's putting out the BTU's!

A seasonable 15*f this morning. Finally feels like winter. Some ash odd balls in the T2, ash and hickory in the insert.

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
Sleeting outside. Starting with a load of pine this morning with cherry and black walnut for when the storm really hits.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
28 here now with red oak and hickory. Sure wish we were getting some of that snow you north east folks are getting today. It literally fell apart at the Oklahoma and Missouri border and blew back up once it hit Illinois. We ended up with just a skiff.

Reactions: MMH and Riff
Another winter weather advisory tonight, few more inches of snow possibly. Temps warming up just before the storm with a low 20-30s. Pine for tonight, and I’ll drag some more juniper/mahogany in for the cold air at the end of the storm

Weird storm, some snow some sleet some rain. Not a lot of accumulation. Brought some wood in for the next few nights when the lows dip to 10 or below. Still rocking pine for now.

B1631237-14CA-4709-997A-2DF9852DB4C7.jpeg

We had 9 degrees this morning so since I was going outside for the day, I put a bag of pellets in the P.S. and put it on manual feed. When I came in, I shut off the P.S. and I loaded up the Liberty with Maple, Cherry and some American Hophornbeam.

We had a little warm up into the mid 40's today. Its 36 right now falling to 31 with a load of post oak going in later for overnight.

Reactions: MMH
79707EEB-3812-48CC-B04D-97CC5215ACEB.jpeg

@Grizzerbear the first picture was a bit deceiving lol; it’s maybe 6” in length give or take so it won’t take up the entire box. I have some other mahogany rounds that are that diameter or larger, and a full 16-18” in length. Those will take the entire box. I had some last year that was huge also, burns forever and coals up like a hot rock.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
View attachment 269575

@Grizzerbear the first picture was a bit deceiving lol; it’s maybe 6” in length give or take so it won’t take up the entire box. I have some other mahogany rounds that are that diameter or larger, and a full 16-18” in length. Those will take the entire box. I had some last year that was huge also, burns forever and coals up like a hot rock.
Icic....I really like your hearth pad and the black stone work by the way. That looks awesome.

Reactions: MMH
We had - 2.6 this morning with a load of Maple, Cherry and American Hophornbeam going in the stove. When I go outside to work, I start the Pellet Stove so the wife doesn't have to worry about the wood stove fire.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
Long leaf pine shorts and uglies. They are extra pitchy. Takes right off. Some poplar to keep the stove hot during the day.