What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bennett springs.....west of lebanon. Always curious when I see another member of hearth from southern missouri. Never been there I don't believe but I have worked construction in Carthage before. It was at one of the grade schools though I can't remember what it was called. And yeah I agree on the hickory lol....it always reminds me of barbeque.

Great memories of fishing Bennett with my dad in my teens. I have a 5.25 lb. rainbow on my wall from there. Beautiful area.

With the temps dropping to just above 20 or a few degrees below, we've been burning cherry during the day and a bag of pellets at night.

Low around 10 tonight, still rocking pine.

1350630D-6AEA-4E13-A582-2F225F730088.jpeg

It was 17.2 earlier this morning with another load of cherry going in the wood stove and the pellet stove being shut off for the day.

Last night was 2 ash, 1 cherry and 4 sugar maple. Very nice coals this morning.

As happy with the heat output as I was last year with the new stove (50SNC30), this year with better seasoned wood has been even better. Always liked ash, but the coals on a full ash load were nothing compared to what sugar maple leaves. The combo fires with some easier lighting chunks (ash & cherry) along with longer coaling chunks (sugar maple) has been keeping the temperature up all night long with the mid 20's we've been seeing overnight. Come colder overnights it'll be sugar maple and beech, maybe a little ash or cherry to get it firing.

Also, I've been using a suggestion from another thread about daytime fire maintenance and keeping the coals, stove & flue hotter. That's been a huge difference in getting the next load going. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions over the last year!

Stove is cold since last night. It was 75 in the house this morning and It got into the low 70's today. I think it was actually a new record high temp for the day. It's still 62 out and we will stay in the low 50s tonight. Stove will stay empty tonight with the heat pump will do the light work for the warm snap.

It's 33.2 tonight with a load of cherry going in the wood stove. I think our high temp today back in the pines was 45 today but in Potsdam NY it was 49.

It's 39.1 tonight with another load of cherry going in the wood stove.

Reactions: MMH
we went from 30's to 50's and rain back to the 30's. Still feeding the stoves ash and walnut a little maple here and there as well.

Was 60 degrees today and has since dropped into the upper 40's. Have been burning uglies & pine. Just started a small fire to get the chill out of the house for the wifey...

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_183524428_MP.jpg
    IMG_20201213_183524428_MP.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 80
The morning reload is the typical white oak and hickory splits combo meal deal, 3 oak.....2 hickory. With a current temp of 20°, I'll slide out the primary air control a little more than usual to get the desired BTU output. I'll be reloading a little sooner this evening as a result.