What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This was a pile of uglies.... oak, apple
20201218_190357.jpg

The coals from a load of birch, first time I’ve ever burned white birch. Sadly I didn’t get a chance to enjoy the smell since I had to leave for work

Birch is such a wonderful smelling wood when it burns, make sure to save some for burning when you're around to enjoy it!

Reactions: Riff and Jay106n
It's 32 tonight so I'm running the pellet stove. Tomorrow we'll put a few loads of wood in before all the rain gets here before or on Christmas day.

Reactions: MMH
38f this morning and misty, a few splits of Sassafras getting about 7hrs on 3-5 splits depending on size. Trying to learn the new stove and not melt it, is amazing what dry wood and modern technology does to supply heat from the probably the worlds oldest heat source!

We had 31 this morning, after our first cup of coffee, I started a fire in the wood stove with some Cherry firewood. I just started another fire with Cherry but might just run the pellet stove later on for overnight heat.

Reactions: MMH and mrd1995
Mid 30s with mixed precip, trying our first full load of oak, ash, and sass for tonight. Loaded at 9:30. I put it in on a full bed of coals, engaged the cat and lowered the air to low. See what sort of burn time we get out of this stove.

We had 30.5 this morning with another load of Cherry going in the Liberty.

We did put in more Cherry and about 12 rounds of American Hophornbean before the rain comes in.

Reactions: Riff and MMH
Currently 22F out with wind chill making it 12, low tonight will be around -4. Threw that mahogany round from my other post in with some juniper and pine.

B4D19E52-2FE1-43B1-AB5B-2FCA8B1B700F.jpeg

We got up to mid fifties today. It's 41 now with a cold front blowing through. It's been really windy all day and we are going down to 22 tonight with wind gusts of 30mph. I got some black jack and hickory going in the stove right now and I will probably be burning that for the next few days. It's looking like our coldest air yet is coming in for tomorrow night with a low of 13 with negative wind chills. Looks like I'm finally going to let the stove really rip.

A little sugar maple right now, probably more later maybe mixed with beech. Tomorrow night's supposed to be down to 6F, so probably a higher percentage of beech.

Lows are supposed to be around 24° tonight. 31 right now. The wind is hammering though. I just stuffed the stove full of red oak and hickory. 73° inside right now. The weather here is so weird. It was 65° degrees today and suddenly the wind started whipping and rain started falling along with the temps. Seems to happen quite often here. When cold fronts come they let you know.

Currently 23F, calling for a low of 16 and gusts up to 35 mph, tomorrow a Christmas Eve high of 26F. This is the first real winter weather we've had. I've got oak and hickory in the fire, and a couple large splits of locust for over night burning standing by. Our wood rack is on the slim side for this winter, and this is what I've been holding back for.