What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
22 F this morning, still going on a load of small-split Sassafras from yesterday evening 10 pm. Woke up to 64 F, which is perfect for us. Dialed up the thermostat, and it's 67 F in an hr or so (stove is in the basement). Got more Sassafras into the garage to split smaller so I can dry it near the stove. With remnants maple and cherry for the days where I want more heat, I will make it through this colder period. In a week or two I see minisplit temps during the day and above 27 or so mostly during the night - I can do that without running the stove overnight as we don't loose heat that fast. And the minisplit will heat things up quickly. Or we use half an hour of oil in the morning.

Ash, maple, and cherry this am. Cruising at 600 when I left to volunteer this morning. We'll see what my wife decides to do for the midday reload while I'm gone. Its always a surprise! ;lol

No break from burning for us. Just that really annoying 30-45 degree weather. I forsee letting the stove go out in the afternoon a bunch. Hate to do that but we'll bake ourselves out going 24/7 when it's over 30. I turn on the heat pump when it's 45::F+.

The good news is we are approaching sugar season. Probably 2-3 weeks away.

Screenshot_20210213-104949_Chrome.jpg

3 degrees with a -12 windchill heading for a low -0...stuffed the Princess full of White Oak and the stove room is 75..cant wait till Monday morning when I have to work outside in this...lol

It's 1 out with a -15 wind chill and the snow just started. I'm am on the coal cycle of a load of post oak. This real cold snap is the first time I have ever had to run the stove consecutively. Normally it's a load in the morning and a load for overnight......always starting from a cold stove. It's nice to throw some wood in and be up and running in a snap of the finger.

I had let the stove cool down last night. This morning it was 62 F in the home. Fired it up on high with some sassafras to get the basement up to temp and clean the window. Then reloaded with mostly cherry of which I have some left.
If there is no week of cold in March, it seems I'll be able to make it through this winter with the dry wood I have :)

8 degrees here right now has to be zero or below with the wind-chill. Loading the stove with red/white/post/blackjack oak and some ash. 70 degrees inside right now. I let the stove get cool today and burn up some charcoal which was a mistake because I have been playing catch up since then.

White Oak and Locust tonight...went from 24 hour reloads to 12 hour reloads to 8 hour reloads..the Princess is keeping up easily....the propane company hates me! lol The feeling is mutual though... ;)...

I'm sure with these temps everyone's reload times have changed. I'm still getting close to 12 hours with the Kuma in the basement but some of these cold days it more like 8-10. The summit is doing a pretty good job keeping the first floor warm but were reloading every 6-8. The garage is filled back up with locust and ash for the coming week going to be another chilly one.

I'm having the opposite issue here in MA. It's warm as heck out....low of 30 ::F tonight. I've just been stringing the Osburn along with a split here or there for the last few hours to make it to the overnight reload without baking us out.

Im a non-cat guy...I like the simplicity and quick access to BTUs when I want it but these are the times I wish I had a cat stove! ;lol

I'm having the opposite issue here in MA. It's warm as heck out....low of 30 ::F tonight. I've just been stringing the Osburn along with a split here or there for the last few hours to make it to the overnight reload without baking us out.

Im a non-cat guy...I like the simplicity and quick access to BTUs when I want it but these are the times I wish I had a cat stove! ;lol
I guess I dont get the last part of your post...my cat stove excels in your situation!..it was -0 this am with a -15 windchill and the stove room at 76...I cracked the air a bit and it was soon 79 in the stove room...in 30 degree weather I load every 24 hours...that is simplicity at its finest.

I guess I dont get the last part of your post...my cat stove excels in your situation!..it was -0 this am with a -15 windchill and the stove room at 76...I cracked the air a bit and it was soon 79 in the stove room...in 30 degree weather I load every 24 hours...that is simplicity at its finest.

The simplicity comment was just referring to it being a less complicated device that's all.

I feel I can get more BTUs more quickly out of a tube stove. For the options I had for my fireplace the smaller cat inserts wouldn't be able to keep up during the cold weather...I simply needed more BTUs. The price is more often reloading and the heat isn't as even of course but the top end is typically much higher and I can heat my house thru colder weather. Everyone is always comfy so that's good enough for me.

I mean yea if I could have fit a BK King in there I'd be all for it lol. ;lol

The simplicity comment was just referring to it being a less complicated device that's all.

I feel I can get more BTUs more quickly out of a tube stove. For the options I had for my fireplace the smaller cat inserts wouldn't be able to keep up during the cold weather...I simply needed more BTUs. The price is more often reloading and the heat isn't as even of course but the top end is typically much higher and I can heat my house thru colder weather. Everyone is always comfy so that's good enough for me.

I mean yea if I could have fit a BK King in there I'd be all for it lol. ;lol
Gotcha! I did not realize you had a insert...

Yep. Small house, giant dog/dog crate. Don't really have the room for a freestander even though we'd love to have one! It just takes up too much space. The insert does the job well though, we are very happy with it.
Thats all that matters!

Supposed to be -11* here with wind chills down around -30*, Osage & Ash in the Century, loaded it at 8:30pm, it will be good till 6:30 but I will re-load at 5:30 so I can get it set & be gone by 6:15, plus Mama chirps if the living room isn’t in the 80’s when she gets up @7:00.