What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Guessing all ash... Wife got up and loaded it, I got up 10 minutes later and could smell paint during! RAN downstairs, stovetop was only 600 but the gates of hell were roaring. Guessing she got the flue a bit hotter than I do. Choked it down, all is good, stovetop only hit about 700. No harm, no foul.

Might be the final nudge to get the flue probe. Are there any that are worthwhile that are reasonably priced? I saw the Auber digital online for about $150 and that's a bit more than I'd like to spend... Is a dial one worth buying?
I believe that this is one that people here typically get...it is the one I got...$75 shipped...just received mine and have not installed it yet

It's been a consistent 29 degrees for two days. I'm thinking my weather station in the yard is frozen or broke, or both... my weather app says it's 17 out, heading for a low of 7. I'm running a robust combination of oak and locust coals in my stove. Seems like I'm on coals a lot more than wood, maybe the moisture content is too low. I'd complain to management, but I don't want to go without dinner tonight.

Getting ready for the overnight load. Pine, big splits and mediumish rounds.

Attachments

• 20210217_201827.jpg
    20210217_201827.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 107
Cherry today and sassafras later tonight. I like full loads of cherry (this was my first).

We had a low 2.6 degrees this morning, more beech went in the liberty.

Overnight we used the pellet stove (one bag) and the wood stove with ironwood and beech, downstairs was 85 this morning with the temp upstairs at 72. I didn't check the floors with the IR gun but they're usually 74 or 75 degrees.

Relief is in sight! Forecasting upper 30s all next week! Going to have to remind the wife to throttle back or she will have it 80 plus in here! Till then more oak and locust in the stove...still on track to burn approx. 4 cord..

Snowing now, expecting about 3-6". Threw a load of whatever was next to the stove in...it was kind of dark and I was tired lol. It's mostly cherry and maple I think. I didn't pack it very well so I'll probably do a proper load in 3-4 hours after shoveling. Not gonna bother with the snow blower for such a small amount.

Wish it would stop snowing on my damn rounds in my driveway!

1613739008821534073094699990958.jpg

Still snowing (got another 6" yesterday and so far today). 32 F or so today.

Just reloaded with cherry after the sassafras from last night was done. Warming up the flue a bit while charring the load.

Hope this will be done enough at 11 tonight for the sassafras night reload.

IMG_20210219_121852553.jpg

We ended up burning a bag of pellets overnight. We had 15.6 this morning with the ashes from the wood stove going out to a metal garbage can in the woods, more beech and maple went in the Lopi this morning.

We have a temp of 27.4 at the moment, feels great.

Still burning down some coals from today’s load. Tonight will be in the high teens to 20s, pine for tonight and I’ll load up the rest of the odd sized pieces of juniper/mahogany in the morning before work; should last a while then the wifey will likely let the stove burn out til I get off Monday.

The sassafras from 11 pm last night ran until 3 pm; it was 34 today with much sun. I put 3 maple shorties in at that time and had to push that coals in a large pile now to add sassafras again. The home did not need a lot of heat with this weather and I'm still quite often wrong in how much wood I load or estimating when it'll be done...

Now if only my solar panels would drop the snow; having the yard slope down away from the home, and with the panels on top of the second story, I am not able to take the snow off. It's been a dismal solar month so far due to the snow. Net metering is fantastic for that. This coming week will be heating mostly with the minisplit. And if no cold snap appears, it might be the last run of the stove.