What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yesterday at 11 pm I had too much coals left (again), so I pushed those in the back as I don't have gloves and don't want to burn my arms...
Therefore I had to load the night sassafras E/W, and I got less in. This morning at 10.30 that was done and I loaded the last of my maple shorties, so I won't have to awkwardly restack them with longer pieces when burning season is over (which might very well be soon here, given my minisplit+solar, and unless mother nature throws another cold snap to this coastal climate).

Lots of sun though today, around freezing but the uninsulated sun room is 75. With those sliding doors open, I left the stove cruising very low because I'll need it again tonight.

Yesterday was a cold day in the 20's spent all day working on a 150' steel pole then came home to carry wood till about 7 pm. Went all the way down to 3 last night but sitting in the mid 30's today a heat wave. Been burning through a lot of locust and ash these few weeks but it looks like temps will be back in the 30's and 40's. It looks like everyone here made it pretty well through the cold. Anyone from Texas I'm sorry for the difficult times you may be having down there. Hope temps warm up and they get that power grid up and running.

Just fired up a full load of cherry

Attachments

• 92B7CF94-14D1-4D74-A54D-8FDA0F5F3A22.jpeg
    92B7CF94-14D1-4D74-A54D-8FDA0F5F3A22.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 101
25 and breezy. BIG difference from below zero and breezy. Wife didn't even throw any more wood in this morning, just stirred it up. Threw in a little silver maple to burn them down and give a little blast of heat at 7:30. Currently 80 in the stove room downstairs and 70 in the LR upstairs.

Probably be starting to burn more softwood during the days with highs in the 30's. Full rack in the house will start lasting a little longer too. Down to less than 1/2 cord each of hardwood and softwood in the garage.

Nothing. Warm spell here this week, was 41 today and 45 tomorrow. I haven't touched the stove since 7 am and we're still at 70 degrees inside here! Going to shovel out some ash and fire up a tiny load for overnight. I'll be firing up the heat pump later this week when we hit 45.

I think we may have officially entered the pain in ass non 24/7 burning shoulder season here. It might be overnight fires and a tiny morning reload only for the week. Better bring up some kindling.

Screenshot_20210223-182933_ecobee.jpg

Last edited:
Skipped a load today since it got to around 43 today, load of cherry in the stove after work, I’ll soon reload for the overnight, cherry again.
Was in Florida the last 2 weeks so I guess I missed all the real cold weather. My sister house sat and ran the stove while I was away, she did pretty well with it.

now for a joke, I bet the lights on this truck don’t work, heater doesn’t work, it’s mostly blacked out, and it also leaks everywhere

CD72429E-3A1D-4CC5-B51D-44FE3A94449A.jpeg

Had to make a day trip to the salt lake area, finally just got home. Cleaned out the ash and turned the propane back off. Currently in the teens, headed for a low around 9F. Had a cold start but tonight’s load will be pine and juniper, with some mahogany on deck for tomorrow nights colder temps.

The stove is cold since yesterday morning and It got to 71 yesterday. It was great lol. I took the day off and cut some wood with my father and ran my new splitter. It only went down to 46 or so last night so I let the heat pump run. Today will be in the fifties but tonight we head back down to seasonal temps of 27 and I will fire the buck up again.

Currently 31F out with the feels like at 21 that was the high today; house it at 74. Put a medium sized juniper and mahogany round in this morning, stove should cruise on that until tonight’s load. Tonight forecasted low around zero. This mahogany round is for tonight.

1EC50746-39BF-45C5-A0F8-F6CB4A9B110E.jpeg
194E0D7C-F7EE-4A24-86DE-749036988E46.jpeg

Nothing but cold ashes. 49 today. 49 tonight. After my first (main part of the) heating season, I actually miss the heat from the stove. The minisplit is doing fine, and I only have a tin bit of dry wood left so all is good, but... Well, it feels cold in the basement...☹️

7F out house is 72, will be using juniper and pine for today’s load
I really enjoy burning pine! Waaaay less ash handling in my experience. I never have excessive coaling with pine. Easy seasoning and lights off nice. Call me crazy but I feel it's really good stuff! Especially in a low and slow capable stove.

I really enjoy burning pine! Waaaay less ash handling in my experience. I never have excessive coaling with pine. Easy seasoning and lights off nice. Call me crazy but I feel it's really good stuff! Especially in a low and slow capable stove.

Agreed I don’t mind pine at all for all the reasons you said. I have pinyon pine in my area I’m going to get some this year and try it out; want to use it as a mixing piece in the winters etc

Haven't touched the stove since yesterday morning and it's still 65 in the house! It's gonna be 25-30 tonight so I'm about to do a tiny starter load of maple to get a coal bed for the overnight load.

Great sugaring weather though...got 10 gallons the last 2 days from 6 trees! Other 10 haven't started yet.

Feb in MA and no fire for 36 hrs here was my home temps...bananas:

Screenshot_20210225-174140_ecobee.jpg

A little ash and locust temps were about 50 yesterday stoves burned out about 4 this morning and I reloaded them for the day. We had temps in the 40's today so the house was comfortable. Just got them going again for the night temps are in the low 30's