What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After letting the stove sit idle for 2 days and cleaning the chimney we are headed for a low of 21 tonight she is stuffed full of oak and locust and cruising and the wife is happy...

We have 3 to 4 inches of new snow with some winds earlier that picked up pretty good. The temp tonight is 2.1 with the wood stove being used all day but the pellet stove will be used so we have a constant heat throughout the night.

We bottomed out at - 2.9 this morning with some winds that made it nasty out, the pellet stove had the temp up here at 71 this morning and 83 in the basement. I turned the pellet stove off and we have a load of soft & sugar maple in the Liberty.

We did get what looks like just over four inches of snow in the driveway, since it's all ice underneath, I packed down the snow on the driveway with the truck but once it looks like the melt will start again, I'll start plowing .

It's 15.8 tonight with a load of beech and sugar maple going in the wood stove. If the forecast is correct we should have another 3-5 inches of snow by late afternoon tomorrow with a temp in the low 20's tomorrow morning.

With day highs in the 50's it's just night time burning from scratch. We're at our low of 36 for the night. I got a mixture of elm, some kind of yellowish wood, and another mystery wood that's heavy and brown... It's scrounge wood from last year, but whatever it is, it's doing great!

Had my first overnight (sassafras) fire since my last post started the day before yesterday. Howling wind and 21 F that night.
Cherry yesterday during the day, and a 1/3 load into the night. Back to minisplit the rest of the week.

It actually got up to 60 today, so the stove is cold, but the outdoor fire pit is blazing with ash and oak.
I'm ready for an outdoor fire. Our fire pit is still buried under snow....

It actually got up to 60 today, so the stove is cold, but the outdoor fire pit is blazing with ash and oak.
That was us yesterday also, I didn't light the stove, that's the first night in a couple months, my wife and I missed it. A burning stove brings it's own life into the room. But like you, I had the outdoor pit burning, I used the opportunity to attempt some charcoal and it actually turned out pretty well.

Temps were pretty good this week 30's and 40's even hit 50 yesterday but back to cold today. Just been burning a little maple here and there but back to some locust and ash now.

Well, 27 F tonight, 35-ish tomorrow, so I just lit up the stove again with some small cedar and maple splits (and oak shavings from hand-splitting this summer). Top-down, of course.
The overnight load will be cherry.

With a low of 31 tonight, and working outside till after the sun went down, which made me cold and ready for a fire, I lit it up with some red oak and elm. Feels great!