What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
24 this morning...75 in the stove room...packed the stove full of locust last night ...at 3 :20 am it looks like a big piece of coal burning and cranking off the heat...

That load of locust lasted just shy of 24 hours...walked in this evening and the stove room was 73 and enough coals to start another load..be back to 24 hour reloads with this weather...

Big ol' pile of red maple with a few splits of oak and ash mixed in ready for the cold weekend...more in the basement. 30/15 thru Monday then it looks like heat pump time when we hit 60 degrees for a few days. Gotta love March in New England!

20210305_184714.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah we'll be right back to 40/25 days for a couple more weeks after the warm spell. Lots of cold start overnight and quick AM burns in future. Shoulder season can be such a PITA with all the cold starts!

I'm mostly concerned for my sugar season though. The 60 degree days are not good. Hopefully its early enough to encourage more sap rather than shut it down!

Headed down to 25 tonight...more oak and locust..

25 tonight. A load of cherry. As I had during the day.
Cut two pine trees today, one dead standing and one still (barely) alive.

About 25 out right now both stoves have some locust and ash. I filled the garage back up today but the coming week has temps warming up so the wood should last longer this week.

First longer term stove shutdown starting tomorrow and lasting most of this week. It doesn't make sense for me to burn when its near 60 outside and that's what they are predicting around here for a few days this week. So today and tonight I've got cherry in there and once the "cold" returns after our taste of "summer" I'll be back to using cherry and punky oak pieces I want to get rid of.

Carried over the stove today on beer bottle cherry splits on the lowest air possible without stalling the cat at 38 F max with a clear blue sky. With the sunroom at 80 F max (and thus the sliding door open) I didn't even use the minisplit. So three 1 ft long 1.5x2" splits (okay, and the sun...) heated my home today to 72 F :)

It appears tonight will be the last night here too for a while (and the question is whether that while will be until November or so...).

One load of cherry to go tonight.
And I have collected a dozen or so beer-bottle sized splits for a hot load to clean out the inside of the stove when I know for sure I'm done. Will likely have to open the windows then - or put on my swimming trunks...

Another round of red maple tonight. It's just a nice versatile wood. Works well in both the cold and shoulder season. Looks like only overnight burns for a while here and let the sun and minisplit work during the day. After this week it'll be back to more seasonal 40/25 weather. Got a bazillion buckets ready for sap!

Screenshot_20210307-195534_Weather.jpg

Carried over the stove today on beer bottle cherry splits on the lowest air possible without stalling the cat at 38 F max with a clear blue sky. With the sunroom at 80 F max (and thus the sliding door open) I didn't even use the minisplit. So three 1 ft long 1.5x2" splits (okay, and the sun...) heated my home today to 72 F :)

It appears tonight will be the last night here too for a while (and the question is whether that while will be until November or so...).

One load of cherry to go tonight.
And I have collected a dozen or so beer-bottle sized splits for a hot load to clean out the inside of the stove when I know for sure I'm done. Will likely have to open the windows then - or put on my swimming trunks...
Same scenario here today...stove will be idle all week from the looks of things...my 250 gallon propane tank is still over 50% full from a fill 2 years ago...waiting on the propane company to call up and check on me...lol

Screenshot_20210308-071844_Google.jpg
The buck has been cold since sunday morning with a high of 70 yesterday. We were under a red flag warning yesterday and I believe today also with the low humidity and breezy conditions. Looks like I won't be firing the stove up until friday or saturday night at least, judging by the forecast. Looks like a lot of us are getting a taste of spring.

We had - 5.8 this morning, hopefully this will be the last of the minus temps. I shut the pellet stove off and built a nice fire in the Liberty this morning while having coffee with the boss.

Gosh caw with that wood stacked up like that one can sure see the different color wood and I do believe that the oak is the gray wood on the bottom... New gig now I am learning about the different woods..(3605 posting)...lol clancey..

Reactions: Zombie
So, after the cat dropped out of the active zone from the cherry load from last night at around 2 pm, it's dark and cold in the stove. Will be back here if we reach <35 F again. So far that does not seem in the works even at nights if I trust predictions 2 weeks out.

Stringing along a bed of coals a couple splits at a time in prep for overnight load of red maple later. Looking ahead at the forecast I think it'll be one overnight load tomorrow then a cold stove until Saturday. After that we're back to more seasonable 45/25 temps so more overnight loads for a while.