What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Currently low 30s out, house is 71. Took advantage of the higher temps and did a quick hot clean, reloaded with a couple pine splits and a piece of elm to tide us over until tonight. I’ll throw some more pine and red elm in for tonight with the lows headed for teens-low 20s.

Reactions: MMH and MEngineer24
Overnight load of black locust and red oak just went in on coals from earlier today. Supposed to dip down in the low 20’s tonight.
How do you like the rangely?

How do you like the rangely?
It’s been an excellent heater so far. This is our second year with it and it heats our 2500 sqft ranch with ease. I don’t really use the top loading door as the stove runs best for me N/S. I bought this stove from the original owner who kept it in perfect condition. Only thing I’ve had to do to her so far is change gaskets.

Reactions: bigealta
35 now, 36 high today. Reloaded with 2 ill-fitting oak cookies to get me to tonight's reload

After last night and this mornings load of red oak and hickory the stove some embers left and that's it. I took out the ashes a few minutes ago and I won't be firing her up again until Wednesday night it looks like.

It got to 55 here today and tonight's low is only 51. Expecting a high of 71 here tomorrow. I think the weather man said this was the second warmest december so far on record and that winter temps have increased by 3.4 degrees since 1970.

Just reloaded with oak; splits and branch wood. (And two slivers of pine to fill out the top.)

Low headed for around 20. Had rain and snow today but nothing stuck, snow for the next week as well. A full load of pine for tonight.
View attachment 288380
I’m sure all that precipitation you are getting out there is well received considering how dry of a year you’ve had. Enjoy it!

Reactions: MMH
On single digit nights, we've been burning the pellet stove and the wood stove during the day. The warmer temps that we have are perfect for the wood we're burning, soft maple and cherry.

35 now, 38 max today. Had first 3/4" of snow on the ground this morning, most melted away by now.
Just reloaded with some crooked pine pieces and an old maple cookie to tide me over to the evening major reload.

It seems that tomorrow I'll let the stove go out; tonight minimum 33, tomorrow max 47, tomorrow night min 41, Sunday max 45. Those are minisplit temps. Sunday night 35 and Monday 38, so late in the afternoon on Sunday depending on when it starts cooling down, I'll restart the stove.

Will take some ashes out tomorrow when the stove is still warm.

Just reloaded with pine. 32 outside, but going up from here to 47 tomorrow.

Are those normal temps for your area at this time of year?

The 47 is not, I think. But I have only lived in this part of the US since Dec. '17. So my sense of normal with respect to the weather is not yet reliable, I think.

It does seem to fluctuate a lot here; wind coming from your side and it gets cold, wind from over the water or from e.g. the Carolinas and it gets warm.

Loaded 5 splits tonight in the Kuuma Vapor Fire. First picture at loading 10:54, second picture at 11:03, and third at 11:07, at which point the computer shuts down to pilot mode and the furnace is in full gasification mode. You can’t see the flames from the gasification burn as they take place in the chamber above the door. All sugar maple tonight.

2BBF2A06-BA2F-4905-8A01-629834CEFC09.jpeg 681EBC81-D6BE-47AB-9B41-43D66F570AC6.jpeg3A12DC57-8283-49BB-ABF2-DD6CACB2ECFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool. Seems quite similar to (how I operate) my cat stove. Char the load, and then glowing stuff and an orange cat.

Reactions: MMH and woodey