What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nothing... But cold ashes until Sunday.

You must have a secondary heat source. 44 degrees and I'm firing something up.
Most of us do. I believe he runs the heat pump when it is relatively warm out, to save wood. I personally have so much firewood it would not cross my mind to run the pump while J am in the house.

You must have a secondary heat source. 44 degrees and I'm firing something up.

Yes. A minisplit (and free solar electrons courtesy of net metering). Can heat my home down to 17 F (they say - but efficiency and fire addiction are such that I'll use the stove then...)
If it's one day, I won't let the stove go cold as it's only one load. But a stretch longer than that above 40 and with night temps above 35 and I'll burn some electrons.

Currently about 10 out, house is 72. Just threw some pine splits in for the afternoon. I’ll fill up with mahogany and pine when I head to work tonight around 6 and hopefully that will carry through the morning before the wifey starts using the devil propane :)

Yea, 30° now, but the 1st I fired up myself since my surgery… wife was starting the fires before. Tough to get down to fill & torch, let alone refill from the woodshed.
Should be a bit more mobile in another week or two.

This Jøtul stuffed with oak.

I like your inside woodrack! Repurposed kitchen cabinet?

I like your inside woodrack! Repurposed kitchen cabinet?
Thanks 😊
Yes, actually a Costco special dining room hutch that hid our booze…
Wife decided to tear off the four doors & toss in the wood.
Doubled the amount inside now than what we used before.

Besides… everyone knows we drink🥃

I let the stove out last night while I have my chimney guy take a look at the flue since I have an oversized clay liner and now has a 6" collar on the new stove. I wanted him to check it for peace of mind and all looked good, he said it want even close to needing a cleaning, but he did clean the cap with had some chunks but the cap hasn't been touched in 10 years, though the flue has been cleaned annually. He said no liner is necessary and that everything looks great, so pretty exited about that. It should get even better with learning to burn clean and have a better wood supply going forward. I am currently cutting and splitting on stuff 3 years out. I took the opportunity to clean out stove and stove pipe, which wasn't too bad either.

We had 32.4 this morning and it was around the same temp the last I looked tonight, we had a drizzle going on for most of the day with a high of 35 back here, a load of cherry this morning with another load of cherry going in for the overnight burn.

I'm seeing some reports of 5-8 and 8 - 12 inches of snow on TV for our area but nothing like that online, tomorrow before getting some standing rotten pine on the ground, we'll get another load or two of wood in.

Been doing 24 hr. burns with oak in this milder weather but the forecast says thats fixing to change with single digit lows on the horizon...I will be bringing up some locust today and filling the wood boxes up in preparation for the cold front...

Geothermal has been doing the work this week. Looks like temps will be cold enough for some burning tonight and for the week ahead. I'm ready with a cord stacked on my porch of Ash, Red and White Oak, some Walnut and a bit of Honey Locust. I've got a bunch of Beech and Shagbark Hickory for next year to try out and see how they burn.