What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Geothermal has been doing the work this week. Looks like temps will be cold enough for some burning tonight and for the week ahead. I'm ready with a cord stacked on my porch of Ash, Red and White Oak, some Walnut and a bit of Honey Locust. I've got a bunch of Beech and Shagbark Hickory for next year to try out and see how they burn.
Pretty premium selection...

If you've never tried it, season some low BTU stuff for those in between days where the geothermal isn't quite enough but a "premium" hardwood fire has you opening windows. Aspen, box elder, cottonwood, soft maple, pine, etc. are great in shoulder season and are ready way faster than most hardwood.

35 out now with rain turning to snow/ ice in a few hours....not expecting much accumulation.....and some red oak and hickory in the buck. Temps will be falling through the day with a low of 10 this evening. Looks like we finally will be getting some consistent cooler temps with another good cold front and chance of snow Thursday.

Its been the weirdest winter.. to warm for a fire. But sunday night into monday is going to be in the teens.

Yes. The swings...
52 today. Tuesday morning low of 22. Wednesday high of 51...

Reactions: Riff and PAbeech
41 out now, a low of 30 tonight, a high of 31 tomorrow (and snow... No idea how much), with a low in the lower 20s tomorrow.

So I restarted late this afternoon. Pine for the night.

6 now, going down to 1 tonight. Brought some beech in to mix with the ash for the overnights. Won't see above freezing in the foreseeable future, will be below zero overnight several times in the next week.

Finally got our first snow of the year. It’s been mild for the last week so the stove has been cold. Got a load of black locust maple and red oak burning this morning. Temps are still dropping as this system moves through.

Mostly Maple....maybe a piece of Ash or Oak, not sure, just threw it in

31 all day so far today. Decreasing to 24 or so tonight. They predict snow, but so far the precipitation has been on the ocean. Maybe some this afternoon. (Kids are hoping...)

The pine of last night is done. Two crooked pine pieces and a curved cherry piece, and two 11" oak shorties for now to have enough heat to dry some snow gear later this afternoon (they hope) and before the oak reload tonight.

Our temp bottomed out at - 9.6 this morning, yellow birch was what the wood stove started the day with.

Our temp hit 7 above after I came in from sharpening eight chains.

So the baby load from earlier today is already done. 29 outside and decreasing. Quite windy too. Evidently burning faster.

So I reloaded with red oak for the night. And a stick of fir - because that's what the BK thread is all about today...
(Literally a stick; 1" dia, top of the Christmas tree of last year.)

Have had temps in the negatives, it was negative 10-20 last 3 nights, singles to teens for highs. Warming up today as a warmer front comes through, temps back to teens-20s at night. Had mahogany last night, pine today; pine and juniper for tonight’s fire.