What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Big load of red maple doing work in the Osburn 1600 this morning. I was up early randomly and threw in a medium load at 6 am so this is the first reload of the day. It's 15 degrees outside and a nice 68 inside!

Secondary combustion is a beautiful thing!

View attachment 290459

Funny how different the secondaries look in a tube stove. Much more vigorous.

These are secondaries where the oxygen from the air wash meets the gases (before the cat eats the leftovers).

And this is rather"rowdy" for my stove. Often much more lazy, more blue.

Attachments

• VID_20220115_112152659.mp4
    9.4 MB
We had another cold azz morning, - 25.5. I loaded the Liberty up with Sugar Maple and one round of Ironwood.

Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
I had a load of pine in the stove in the morning, and put in a few ash and maple pieces in around 5.

Now an overnight load of oak.
28 high today, 25 now, a low of 20 overnight.

I see a low of 8 Wed-Thur night...

It's 18.5 tonight so we'll go with the pellet stove but in the morning I'll clean some ashes out of the wood stove and get that going again.

Lots of oak: Live and Red, and one piece of cedar (technically a juniper) to fill a gap. Cedar and oak are our standbys. This load is burning on coals from a more unusual selection. They are fruit wood coals from our back yard: cherry, pineapple guava (feijoa), and satsuma mandarin orange wood. The cherry died completely from the February freeze that hit Texas in 2021 because it wasn’t dormant at the time. The feijoa also died to the ground but is coming back from suckers. The mandarin orange we protected with frost cloth and two poultry brooding lamps that saved the main trunk, but all the many branches died. The orange wood in particular was small, more kindling than logs, but my eleven-year-old son had a chainsawing lessong with his father this afternoon. The larger wood that he cut was green and needing to be seasoned, but this small stuff that we had pruned off with loppers and kept in our barn was already dry. He cut it to stove length this afternoon, so I gathered an armload and put it in the stove for our evening fire. My son loves to heat himself up right in front of those stove, and I think he was happy when I pointed out that he was warming himself up from the fruits of his hard work this afternoon.

Love your stove set up! Looks great and probably works great too being so central.
thank you! when we bought the house in '91, it had this old stove in it with a wall behind it...

woodstove1991.jpg

removed the wall and replaced the stove with a VC...

woodstove1993-2020.jpg

now the Jøtul in it's place.
the central location is ideal 'cept for the room in the rear of the house... stays cool there.

today, more snow overnight and temps at 10ºF with that wind feel at -12º...

01232022.jpg

...and more oak burning...

Jøtul01232022.jpg

We had 18 this morning, I took the ashes out (thrown in the outside fireplace) and started a fire in the wood stove.

Reactions: MMH and Grizzerbear
thank you! when we bought the house in '91, it had this old stove in it with a wall behind it...

View attachment 290502

removed the wall and replaced the stove with a VC...

View attachment 290508

now the Jøtul in it's place.
the central location is ideal 'cept for the room in the rear of the house... stays cool there.

today, more snow overnight and temps at 10ºF with that wind feel at -12º...

View attachment 290506

...and more oak burning...

View attachment 290507

Oh yeah much better without the wall there's almost always going to be a room in most houses that is cooler unless it's purely open. For us it's the dining room which is fine by us we're only in there to eat.

We have a wall between our living room where the stove is and the den where the TV and slider to the deck is. We want to take it down once day but it's weight bearing and filled with ducts and electrical. It's easily a $25,000+ wall so that's on indefinite hold lol.

The oak of last night is gone. (Clearly I'm burning harder these days, but also I have quite a bit of ash and coals - it looks like ashes, but when I want to scoop it's a solid 2" layer of glowing mass of coals underneath. It's too hot to take out. So it's limiting how much wood I can put in the stove.)

I have a lot of ash shorties. So I put a bunch of those in. Not a full load because of size and shape. Will have to do that again before the overnight load.

Hoping the hot burn will clear up some of the coals.

The glass stays nice and clean though, these days. :)

Rookie mistake....im on my last night of good wood...then onto not ready to burn wood. It's the worst feeling....when you buy a new shed and 6 cords to get on a 3 year plan and you run out of wood and realize you need another shed. Burnt cords already and my red oak isn't ready.

I tried craiglsit today
..it was painful...but they just don't understand it needs to be cut and covered....they think laying in a pile outdoors is ready to burn....

Anyone in Mass or lower nh area selling ready to burn?

Even the kiln dry wood is selling at 22 percent or higher....

• Sad
Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
The oak of last night is gone. (Clearly I'm burning harder these days, but also I have quite a bit of ash and coals - it looks like ashes, but when I want to scoop it's a solid 2" layer of glowing mass of coals underneath. It's too hot to take out. So it's limiting how much wood I can put in the stove.)

I have a lot of ash shorties. So I put a bunch of those in. Not a full load because of size and shape. Will have to do that again before the overnight load.

Hoping the hot burn will clear up some of the coals.

The glass stays nice and clean though, these days. :)
I just rake forward and throw in a few 1-2" kindling splits and burn it wide open in this situation. Gives me a short burst of heat and lowers the coals for the next reload. Bark works really well for this too. Sometimes I'll do it 2-3x in a row until I'm satisfied, especially for overnight, and then fully reload.

Last edited:
Rookie mistake....im on my last night of good wood...then onto not ready to burn wood. It's the worst feeling....when you buy a new shed and 6 cords to get on a 3 year plan and you run out of wood and realize you need another shed. Burnt cords already and my red oak isn't ready.

I tried craiglsit today
..it was painful...but they just don't understand it needs to be cut and covered....they think laying in a pile outdoors is ready to burn....

Anyone in Mass or lower nh area selling ready to burn?

Even the kiln dry wood is selling at 22 percent or higher....
Oh no, that is unfortunate. I live next to an old orchard and the owner processes firewood as a side business. I think he has a few bins of red oak left from last year and some limb wood. It may have a little rot on it but it would be better than green. If you want to shoot me a DM I can tell you more about it.

I just rake forward and throw in a few 1-2" kindling splits and burn it wide open in this situation. Gives me a short burst of heat and lowers the coals for the next reload. Bark works really well for this too. Sometimes I'll do it 2-3x in a row until I'm satisfied, especially for overnight, and then fully reload.

I tried that, but no luck.
Also heating from the basement, doing that a few times didn't make enough heat (for the SO).

Maybe I need to be more diligent early on; the coals are *not* from the "last load"; it's an accumulation of coals that seem not to burn well because of being covered with ash, but to remain glowing. From the intermittent fires early in the season I remember being amazed about the persistent heat coming out after the fire has gone down. Like it's a soap stone stove. I guess it's from the layer of coals. Nice heat,.bit not enough when heating from the basement in 32 and below weather.

Reloaded with ash for the overnight fire.
32 and light snow outside now.. 23 for a low, 31 high tomorrow.

What do you get your stt too?

I tried that, but no luck.
Also heating from the basement, doing that a few times didn't make enough heat (for the SO).

Maybe I need to be more diligent early on; the coals are *not* from the "last load"; it's an accumulation of coals that seem not to burn well because of being covered with ash, but to remain glowing. From the intermittent fires early in the season I remember being amazed about the persistent heat coming out after the fire has gone down. Like it's a soap stone stove. I guess it's from the layer of coals. Nice heat,.bit not enough when heating from the basement in 32 and below weather.
Do you have a metal bucket? Why not just shovel out the coal/ash mix and place it on the driveway outside of dump it into a firepit outside if you have one. That's perfectly safe. Leave like a 1/2" layer of ash in the stove and boom your ready to rock again. I do this when we get a major cold snap and I need to remove as much ash as possible to fit more wood overnight. I burn a lot of maple which produces a lot of ash.

Do you have a metal bucket? Why not just shovel out the coal/ash mix and place it on the driveway outside of dump it into a firepit outside if you have one. That's perfectly safe. Leave like a 1/2" layer of ash in the stove and boom your ready to rock again. I do this when we get a major cold snap and I need to remove as much ash as possible to fit more wood overnight. I burn a lot of maple which produces a lot of ash.

That is what I have been doing - when the stove is cold enough. An 18*20 inch firebox with 2" of glowing mass radiates a boatload of heat though when disturbed/exposed. Just bought welding gloves...

I let it cool down in th bucket on the driveway, then use a (soil/stone) sifter (?) to separate the ashes for in the yard. I'm planning to at some point out the black coals back in the stove when it's warmer outside.

That's the plan for Tuesday. 41 high, so minisplit time and stove clean out. Wednesday night will be 10-ish so I need the space.

Reactions: MMH
That is what I have been doing - when the stove is cold enough. An 18*20 inch firebox with 2" of glowing mass radiates a boatload of heat though when disturbed/exposed. Just bought welding gloves...

I let it cool down in th bucket on the driveway, then use a (soil/stone) sifter (?) to separate the ashes for in the yard. I'm planning to at some point out the black coals back in the stove when it's warmer outside.

That's the plan for Tuesday. 41 high, so minisplit time and stove clean out. Wednesday night will be 10-ish so I need the space.
You only just bought welding gloves??? Oh man, I go thru 1-2 pairs every season. I get right in there with them, pick up and move coals that may fall out or a log that needs moving etc. I can't imagine trying to rake or shovel without them!

I use these and love them:

I typically wear out the right gloves and the left stays brand new so we use those to weed the rose gardens and thorn bushes out back.

What do you get your stt too?

I have a convective jacket so I don't know.
And a cat stove, so position would matter a lot.

Flue probe is normal (,300-800, depending on how hard I drive the stove). I do have a magnetic thermometer on the door above the seal (so with a 3/4" gap?).
It runs between 200 and 500.

You only just bought welding gloves??? Oh man, I go thru 1-2 pairs every season. I get right in there with them, pick up and move coals that may fall out or a log that needs moving etc. I can't imagine trying to rake or shovel without them!

Hands look red, with the occasional blistering stripe...

Down to 1 tonight with 2-4" forecast. Teens tomorrow, -11 tomorrow night, 1 Tuesday, -20 Tuesday night (northwoods). Oak in the Strattford II.

Scrounged around out in the campfire wood shed and found some oak which is helpful. Also a little ash and birch in there and a small hoard I had in the garage. Running low on softwood, so I tried burning some of the iffy hardwood from outside with it. Worked pretty well. Will be hauling more wood up next time I head home.

Congrats @Grizzerbear on your Chiefs win. What an awesome game to watch! Too bad my Packers laid a bit ugly egg last night...😭😭😭

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH