What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stove still too hot for a soot eater run. Turns out that in the 3" of ashes was a solid 2" of glowing coals.

So I used my cat poo scooper to separate ashes and coals. This (pic) is not in my stove anymore. The coals will be used to relight later on as it'll be 28 tonight. It already came down from 47; it's 40 now.

IMG_20220117_141805412.jpg

Last night I ended up waking up in the recliner @ 11:30 p.m., I didn't feel like making a fire so I had made sure the pellet stove ready earlier that day, I made sure that was going before calling it a night.

This morning was in the low twenties so the pellet stove was shut off and the wood stove saw another load of yellow birch and maple.

29, windy, sunny. Still chewing through the oak branch wood from yesterday evening.

22 going up to 28 today then down to 2 tonight in the northwoods. Box elder and pine while I work during the day, ash overnight. Supposed to be -20 Thursday night. Warned the boys to get more wood in today at home for the cold snap.

We hit -10.7 last night so I went with the pellet stove, when we had our first cup of coffee this morning it was 19.2, back to the wood stove after taking out some ashes.

It's still over 32 tonight so we'll go with the wood stove.

47 today... So I let the minisplit do its thing while the oak from yesterday night smoldered along. In the afternoon I added a piece of ash. I now reloaded with oak shorties that I'll have keep smoldering until tomorrow morning.

Tonight a low of 37. Tomorrow a high of 37, but around noon we nosedive to freezing, so the minisplit will then be switched off and the stove will take over again. (Tomorrow night a low of 16 is predicted and that will be lows for the next 5 days or so with the highs around or below freezing.)

Screenshot_20220119-204543~2.png

1 dropping to -9 tonight with wind, so I'm under a wind chill advisory. Loading up with all ash shortly.

Hope the boys brought in more wood at home yesterday like I told them to or Mumsy will chase their silly butts outside in the cold to get more in...😆

1 dropping to -9 tonight with wind, so I'm under a wind chill advisory. Loading up with all ash shortly.

Hope the boys brought in more wood at home yesterday like I told them to or Mumsy will chase their silly butts outside in the cold to get more in...😆
I see you're sending the weather east, thank you! ::-)

Yup...........it is now winter, currently -10. Both stoves rollin' on.....................

Thu
20 Jan
Sunny
1°F

Sunny
Tonight
Clear

-20°F

Clear
Fri
21 Jan
Sunny

7°F

Sunny
Night
Clear

-6°F

Clear
Sat
22 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

19°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Chance of flurries

12°F
70%
Chance of flurries
Sun
23 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

16°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Clear

-17°F

Clear
Mon
24 Jan
Cloudy

7°F

Cloudy
Night
Chance of flurries

-6°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Tue
25 Jan
Chance of flurries

3°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Night
Cloudy periods

-18°F

Cloudy periods
Wed
26 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

We had - 9.4 the last I looked, Accu has us having a low of -18 but I'm thinking we'll get colder. I ask the wife if she wanted both the wood & pellet stove going tonight, she just wanted the pellet stove so the old Yankee is going.

This morning before I headed outside, I started a nice fire with some Sugar Maple & Ironwood, the area the couch is in was 85 so for the first time this year, the heat made her come up here.
image1.png

Last edited:
The oak from yesterday was done around 4 pm. I added a split of cherry, two crooked pieces of ash, and a 4" dia knotty oak branch. It was 37 this morning, 32 at 4 pm with 3/4 of snow on the ground.

25 now and a low of 16 F tonight. The next 4 nights will be in the teens with daytime highs in the 20s.

Reloaded with red oak.