What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
feeling a bit under the weather, stuffy, sore throat. Covid test says negative.

Last night at 8 pm put a 75% load of oak in (shorties N/S and two crooked pieces E/W in front, with some empty space - you can see I am focused on playing good stove tetris). Still going on - but it was fairly warm, 40 now.
This afternoon the cool down starts, 12 low overnight, 20 tomorrow, 14 low tomorrow night.

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
Just loaded up a full load of oak. Cold spell coming through tonight

A70E4CBE-5059-4512-9117-9CA191C19B8A.jpeg

Currently -2 here with a drop to -20 tonight. Looks like we will only get a brush (northern edge) of the forecasted storm for Sunday night/Monday (1-3"). Feeding both Betty and Lil' Brother with a very comfortable 75 here in the nest.

Tonight
Clear
-20°F

Clear
Sat
15 Jan
Sunny

0°F

Sunny
Night
Clear

-17°F

Clear
Sun
16 Jan
Sunny

9°F

Sunny
Night
Chance of snow

0°F
60%
Chance of snow
Mon
17 Jan
Periods of snow

16°F

Periods of snow
Night
Chance of snow

3°F
60%
Chance of snow
Tue
18 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

7°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Snow

-9°F

Snow
Wed
19 Jan
Snow

9°F

Snow
Night
Clear

-15°F

Clear
Thu
20 Jan
Sunny

0°F

38 now and decreasing to 13 tonight. The oak of yesterday evening is done, so I put a few uglies of (what I think was ) maple, some oak and a piece of ash on the remaining coals. Will burn it off on high so that the flue is nice and warm, and I get a heat boost in the basement before I put in the overnight oak load in a few hours.

I'm burning down some coals from some yellow birch, I'll load up with more yellow birch and some nice rounds of ironwood in about an hour.

Because I wanted to take ashes out this morning from the wood stove, we burned a bag of pellets last night. The wind chills are heading in the chitter tonight and tomorrow so I'm not sure if we'll burn the pellet stove or go with the furnace. :ZZZ;) We're in the 35 to 40 below WCV area.

image1.png

they forecast that with the windchill it will feel like -5 here at 8 AM tomorrow morning.

Burned Ash last night, burned Ash this afternoon, Burning Ash now. Think I'll burn some Beech and Honey Locust for the overnight load for a change. The last time I burned Beech the secondary flames were so bright and clear It was like a light was on most of the night! Really enjoying my first winter with the Kozy Heat.

Burned Ash last night, burned Ash this afternoon, Burning Ash now. Think I'll burn some Beech and Honey Locust for the overnight load for a change. The last time I burned Beech the secondary flames were so bright and clear It was like a light was on most of the night! Really enjoying my first winter with the Kozy Heat.
Ash and beech together make a really nice combo...

A very complex system is expected to track up the East Coast this weekend and has the potential to bring significant snowfall accumulation to parts of Southern Ontario starting Sunday night and continuing through Monday. This type of system is particularly a nightmare to forecast for Southern Ontario since the heaviest precipitation will track right along the American border with a very tight gradient between heavy snowfall and very little accumulation.
A slight change in the track of the system will have big impacts in terms of exactly how much snow will fall on our side of the border and how far west it will encompass. Considering we’re still over 48 hours away from the start of the snow, there’s a lot of time for the track to change as we get closer. However, there is some confidence in some parts of Southern Ontario and how they will be affected by this storm. This includes the Niagara Region and Eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville, Cornwall) which is very unlikely to escape this snowstorm unless it tracks significantly further east than expected.

Snow will start to pick up around the Niagara and Hamilton region sometime late Sunday evening or close to the midnight hour. It will continue to spread to the northeast throughout the overnight and into Monday morning. The worst conditions are expected during the early morning hours around Lake Ontario and later in the morning for Eastern Ontario.
Persistent snowfall will continue throughout the afternoon especially for Eastern Ontario, but it will begin to taper off starting from the southwest in the late afternoon and clearing in Eastern Ontario by midnight. Keep in mind this timing may change as we get closer since the system can slow down or speed up - we should have a better idea late Saturday on the exact timing.
There will also be wind gusts ranging from 40-70km/h accompanied by the heavy snowfall so driving conditions will likely be very poor with blowing snow possible. This snowstorm may impact the current plan for schools to return to in-person learning with school bus cancellations highly likely. The best chance at bus cancellations would be through the Niagara Region and Eastern Ontario with the probability decreasing the further to the northwest you go.
It’s a little too early to talk about exact snowfall accumulation due to the significant amount of uncertainty regarding the track of this system. We know that a lot of people do focus on the numbers so we have provided a very rough idea of the potential accumulation from this system. We have higher confidence in the Niagara Region and Eastern Ontario (the closer to the US border, the higher the probability) which could see snowfall accumulation of over 25cm by the end of Monday.

Those in Hamilton, Toronto, Peterborough and Bancroft are right on the line of seeing significant snowfall which makes this forecast very difficult. We’ve outlined the zone on the map (in the white hatched circle) we think could be subjected to very significant changes in the forecast depending on the track. Right now, we can say that there is a fair amount of confidence in accumulation over 10cm for those regions. However, we are being quite cautious with these numbers and some models are showing much higher totals than we’ve shown here. If the system maintains the current track, it wouldn’t be out of the question to see widespread accumulation between 20-40cm.
We believe it’s important to post a forecast this early due to the potentially significant impacts it could have on our region. This is now your chance to plan for a snowstorm and make any alternative arrangements for Monday should it occur. We can’t emphasize enough that this forecast will likely change. The best that can be done is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, we don’t want you to be unprepared! There’s no harm in being over-prepared.
Check back on Saturday and Sunday for a more detailed forecast once we get more confidence in the track of the storm.

A very complex system is expected to track up the East Coast this weekend and has the potential to bring significant snowfall accumulation to parts of Southern Ontario starting Sunday night and continuing through Monday. This type of system is particularly a nightmare to forecast for Southern Ontario since the heaviest precipitation will track right along the American border with a very tight gradient between heavy snowfall and very little accumulation.
A slight change in the track of the system will have big impacts in terms of exactly how much snow will fall on our side of the border and how far west it will encompass. Considering we’re still over 48 hours away from the start of the snow, there’s a lot of time for the track to change as we get closer. However, there is some confidence in some parts of Southern Ontario and how they will be affected by this storm. This includes the Niagara Region and Eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville, Cornwall) which is very unlikely to escape this snowstorm unless it tracks significantly further east than expected.

Snow will start to pick up around the Niagara and Hamilton region sometime late Sunday evening or close to the midnight hour. It will continue to spread to the northeast throughout the overnight and into Monday morning. The worst conditions are expected during the early morning hours around Lake Ontario and later in the morning for Eastern Ontario.
Persistent snowfall will continue throughout the afternoon especially for Eastern Ontario, but it will begin to taper off starting from the southwest in the late afternoon and clearing in Eastern Ontario by midnight. Keep in mind this timing may change as we get closer since the system can slow down or speed up - we should have a better idea late Saturday on the exact timing.
There will also be wind gusts ranging from 40-70km/h accompanied by the heavy snowfall so driving conditions will likely be very poor with blowing snow possible. This snowstorm may impact the current plan for schools to return to in-person learning with school bus cancellations highly likely. The best chance at bus cancellations would be through the Niagara Region and Eastern Ontario with the probability decreasing the further to the northwest you go.
It’s a little too early to talk about exact snowfall accumulation due to the significant amount of uncertainty regarding the track of this system. We know that a lot of people do focus on the numbers so we have provided a very rough idea of the potential accumulation from this system. We have higher confidence in the Niagara Region and Eastern Ontario (the closer to the US border, the higher the probability) which could see snowfall accumulation of over 25cm by the end of Monday.

Those in Hamilton, Toronto, Peterborough and Bancroft are right on the line of seeing significant snowfall which makes this forecast very difficult. We’ve outlined the zone on the map (in the white hatched circle) we think could be subjected to very significant changes in the forecast depending on the track. Right now, we can say that there is a fair amount of confidence in accumulation over 10cm for those regions. However, we are being quite cautious with these numbers and some models are showing much higher totals than we’ve shown here. If the system maintains the current track, it wouldn’t be out of the question to see widespread accumulation between 20-40cm.
We believe it’s important to post a forecast this early due to the potentially significant impacts it could have on our region. This is now your chance to plan for a snowstorm and make any alternative arrangements for Monday should it occur. We can’t emphasize enough that this forecast will likely change. The best that can be done is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, we don’t want you to be unprepared! There’s no harm in being over-prepared.
Check back on Saturday and Sunday for a more detailed forecast once we get more confidence in the track of the storm.
15 gallons of diesel - check
20 gallons of gas - check
Both vehicles full - check
Wife made chili tonight - check
I'll make spaghetti sauce tomorrow - check
We'll make a new meatloaf dish on Sunday - check
Grocery shopping done - check
Great dog food supply in the basement - check
A good firewood supply inside - check
We're in for 12 -18 inches of snow from the forecast tonight - we'll see

Still 74 downstairs in the stove room this morning but down to 65 upstairs. Low teens outside, load of aspen on the coals in the stove. I've discovered that opposite campfires I prefer aspen over pine in the stove and fireplace, but hate it in campfires where I love the pine...

Chuckling at @thewoodlands... sounds like my planned days today and tomorrow food-wise, but we're not getting smacked by this storm.

Chicken fajita stuffed peppers going in the slow cooker this morning and going to split some wood; tomorrow: homemade donuts for breakfast, homemade crunchwraps for lunch (breakfast style - sausage, eggs, hash browns, cheese, salsa - in a tortilla), make zucchini bread in the afternoon, stuffed zucchini for dinner....

13 and very windy here. The oak from last night is gone. I should have taken out some ashes yesterday; I couldn't fit in as much as I normally do. Now I'll have to make do with the space in the stove for a while.

Loaded with pine now. Will run it quite high; it's 66 upstairs, so I want some extra heat.

-21 this morning with a slight breeze. Betty and Lil' Brother both had a nice bed of coals after the all night burn. House was a pleasant 74 at 7 this morning. Currently -13 and sunny. All is good......................

I just reloaded on last nights red oak and post oak coals with more of the same. Its 33 out and windy as all get out with a pretty good amount of snow falling. It's just started to stick and the Nws says a dusting to a inch. Accuweather says 4-8 inches. Lol.....I guess it's wait and see.

Reactions: MMH and rottiman
Any of y'all northerners watching the Bill's and Patriot's game tonight. Gunna be a good one. Man it is going to be cold lol. Like 6 at kickoff I believe. It hurts just thinking of it.

Reactions: rottiman
Any of y'all northerners watching the Bill's and Patriot's game tonight. Gunna be a good one. Man it is going to be cold lol. Like 6 at kickoff I believe. It hurts just thinking of it.
Anyone but the Pats....

Go Pack Go! I think this year is going to be very interesting. Nobody looks invincible and depending on what teams can keep guys off the Covid list or have a bunch on it will play a big part.

Anyone but the Pats....

Go Pack Go! I think this year is going to be very interesting. Nobody looks invincible and depending on what teams can keep guys off the Covid list or have a bunch on it will play a big part.

Yep.....I haven't got over the 2018 season where brady knocked my chiefs out of the playoffs. The man is a legend though. If my chiefs don't make it I am rooting for a Bill's vs Pack bowl game. I like both teams. I agree it's the most level playing field I have seen.

Reactions: NickW and rottiman
@NickW , the wife is cooking a beef stew after I get done the sauce, I better get on the treadmill this coming week every day.