What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Let the stove cool off and did another clean out; lows headed for single digits agin tonight. Another mixed load of mahogany, red elm, juniper and pine.
70E67921-9FA4-4557-8095-CF87B6757B7E.jpeg

The recliner got me last night, I woke up about 9:45 p. m. still feeling tired so I never started a wood stove fire, pellet stove or even set the furnace so it would kick on, the temp was 14.7 this morning so I ran the furnace for 10 minutes and started a wood stove fire with some junk yellow birch that only lasted two hours.

The next fire was some yellow birch and ironwood, it's 69 up here with the basement at 75 heading up.

Two years ago I raided our wood dump and s/s four face cord of wood, I'm thinking in another 10 days we'll be through the rest of the wood from our wood dump, that will be the last time it goes in our regular stacks. I'm thinking the rest will go for outside fires or the best of the worst will go for shoulder season wood.

NOAA is calling for a low of -15 tonight for our area.

Yup....... now it's getting down to winter, currently 5 and windy............

12:26 PM EST Monday 10 January 2022
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:

• Barry's Bay - Killaloe
  • Petawawa - Pembroke - Cobden
  • Renfrew - Arnprior - Calabogie
A period of very cold wind chills is expected.

Hazard:
Temperatures from minus 25 to minus 32 degrees Celsius.
Wind chill values near minus 35.

When:
Tonight into Tuesday morning.

Discussion:
Bitterly cold arctic air combined with light winds will bring extremely cold wind chills to the regions beginning near midnight. This is the coldest air so far this season. Wind chills will improve Tuesday morning after sunrise.

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.

Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.

Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

Mon
10 Jan

Chance of flurries
12°F
30%
Chance of flurries

Tonight
Clearing

-20°F

Clearing
Tue
11 Jan
Sunny

5°F

Sunny
Night
Chance of flurries

1°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Wed
12 Jan
Chance of flurries

25°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Night
Chance of flurries

7°F
40%
Chance of flurries
Thu
13 Jan
Cloudy

12°F

Cloudy
Night
Chance of flurries

-4°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Fri
14 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

9°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Chance of flurries

-6°F
40%
Chance of flurries
Sat
15 Jan
Chance of flurries

10°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Night
Clear

3°F

Clear
Sun
16 Jan
Sunny

14°F

Sunny

Yup....... now it's getting down to winter, currently 5 and windy............

12:26 PM EST Monday 10 January 2022
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:

• Barry's Bay - Killaloe
  • Petawawa - Pembroke - Cobden
  • Renfrew - Arnprior - Calabogie
A period of very cold wind chills is expected.

Hazard:
Temperatures from minus 25 to minus 32 degrees Celsius.
Wind chill values near minus 35.

When:
Tonight into Tuesday morning.

Discussion:
Bitterly cold arctic air combined with light winds will bring extremely cold wind chills to the regions beginning near midnight. This is the coldest air so far this season. Wind chills will improve Tuesday morning after sunrise.

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.

Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.

Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

Mon
10 Jan
Chance of flurries
12°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Tonight
Clearing

-20°F

Clearing
Tue
11 Jan
Sunny

5°F

Sunny
Night
Chance of flurries

1°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Wed
12 Jan
Chance of flurries

25°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Night
Chance of flurries

7°F
40%
Chance of flurries
Thu
13 Jan
Cloudy

12°F

Cloudy
Night
Chance of flurries

-4°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Fri
14 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

9°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Chance of flurries

-6°F
40%
Chance of flurries
Sat
15 Jan
Chance of flurries

10°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Night
Clear

3°F

Clear
Sun
16 Jan
Sunny

14°F

Sunny
I just took the dog for a walk, no wind yet here but we're down to 10 degrees.

Down to 1 here now. The real snap is supposed to hit here around mid night with heavy winds from the NW
We're just above 8 degrees with a bit of wind from what I can see from the flags movement, we're getting some snow too.

Loaded this morning full of white oak and black locust. Stove coasted all day. Did an ash cleanout when I got home from work. Reloaded on the morning coals with a few small splits of red oak to warm the house for the evening. Will reload tonight with more white oak and black locust mix. Temp headed for the low teens with subzero wind chills tonight. This new weather pattern has been keeping the Jotul working hard.

After some less-straight pine at 2 pm to get me to now, I loaded with oak.
25 now, 17 for a low, 18 tomorrow.
I hope I can dial in properly to be at 67 tomorrow morning. Learning curve...

A low of 17 this morning. Home was 65 (see learning curve). Have to see the Dr. with my daughter in an hour (and half an hour away or so), and with the max today of 18, I dialed up the stove a bit, but I think I'd need to reload when I'm gone, so I added a knotty piece of maple and oak. Ooph, it was hot opening that glowing mountain, as there was about 35-40% of fuel left.

-21 here this morning. Currently -13 under sunny skies. Betty and Lil' Brother both rolling on on a mixed hardwood diet. House is a comfortable 75 and all is good.
We get a warmup tomorrow so hopefully more dead pine will come down with a fire in the outside fireplace the next day.

Overnight 3/4 load of maple followed by a reload of about 5 more splits of maple at 8 am kept us warm today. Gross 50/foggy/rainy day out there. Fire probably wasn't necessary but it was very relaxing and comfortable. Perk of being far ahead wood wise is you can splurge on the 50/50 days. I won't start it again until the tomorrow morning likely. Maybe before bed we'll see.

View attachment 284002
That is a really nice display of the temp sensors in your house. What app are you using and the hardware that provides all that info? Thank you so much!

Adding pine now to burn down some coals and last to mid evening or so (hopefully) for an overnight reload with oak.

That is a really nice display of the temp sensors in your house. What app are you using and the hardware that provides all that info? Thank you so much!
It's an Ecobee and I love it. I have the Ecobee3 Lite with four remote sensors. IIRC it came with two and I had to buy two additional sensors.

I can view and control everything right from my phone. It allows me to program my ac/back up heat based on different room readings and to be able to make adjustments when I'm not at home.

For example, in the winter I use the dining room, kitchen, and den to determine if the backup heat comes in as they are the coldest rooms. In the summer I use the living room as it's the warmest room.

I know they sell them at Lowe's in addition to online.

Pine done. Reloaded with oak for overnight. 16 F now, minimum of 14 F in an hr, then 24 at 7am, going up to 38 tomorrow... Weird.

Next cooldown Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night.

Nice clean window btw from burning hotter :) (second pic with flame, first pic was door open).

IMG_20220111_214108455.jpg IMG_20220111_214725411.jpg