What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Went to bed last night it was 34 and wet snow. Got up this a.m. to 16 and 1" of fresh frozen ???? snow. Total of about 3" of frozen (concrete) snow. Unheard of for this time of the year in Ontario. Snow mobiling non existent in this part of ontario this year.

We had a low of 24.4 this morning with more yellow birch going in the wood stove.

@rottiman , the gates to the snowmobile trails are still locked up at this end. We received maybe an inch of snow today before everything shifted south of us. I'm not sure if we're in for the rain, ice & snow this weekend but if we do get all three, it won't help out the trails much unless we receive a chit load of snow. I'm glad we bought old sleds years ago, if we only get a month of use out of them this year, we might sell them and then next winter we'll receive a ton of snow.

We had a low of 24.4 this morning with more yellow birch going in the wood stove.

@rottiman , the gates to the snowmobile trails are still locked up at this end. We received maybe an inch of snow today before everything shifted south of us. I'm not sure if we're in for the rain, ice & snow this weekend but if we do get all three, it won't help out the trails much unless we receive a chit load of snow. I'm glad we bought old sleds years ago, if we only get a month of use out of them this year, we might sell them and then next winter we'll receive a ton of snow.
You'll get all snow, not sure how much though, 5-10 here but I'm east of you. I have about 80% seasoned red oak this year and that's what I've been burning. Hate to burn oak all year but it's all I got that's seasoned. Next year I have oak, hickory, cherry and ash.

You'll get all snow, not sure how much though, 5-10 here but I'm east of you. I have about 80% seasoned red oak this year and that's what I've been burning. Hate to burn oak all year but it's all I got that's seasoned. Next year I have oak, hickory, cherry and ash.
Terrible problem to have... Let me help you out. I'll load my truck and trailer with aspen and trade you for just a trailer load of oak 😉.

Looks like I will be plowing in the morning with 4-7" of snow coming tonight and early tomorrow. I loaded up a box of red oak after cleaning some ashes out.

20220106_223131.jpg

Going down to -8 tonight, another load of ash in the Strattford II in the northwoods. Before coming up I made sure the boys brought in beech to mix with the ash overnight at home. That makes a really nice fire with a lot of coals yet 8-10 hours later. Usually I'll just open the air a little in the morning and stir things up and let it go for another hour or 2 before doing a softwood load.

30 now. Starting to snow in 2 hrs or so. 3-6" predicted last I looked. After a baby load at 3 when the pine was finished, I now reload with oak for overnight.

Edit: and some pine on top. Oak I had handy was not enough to fill.

16415296528553051764969617152427.jpg

Setting at a balmy 5 degrees right now with a -9 windchill...loaded up the Princess with a load of 20% Oak and 80% locust..stove room is 76 degrees with the bedrooms at 72...I am going to pass on duck hunting in the morning...lol

At least 6" of snow here. And still falling.
Of course the oak from yesterday is still keeping our home warm.

We got down to -45C/-49F two nights ago. Warmed up to a balmy -31C/-24F as of this morning. The BK Princess is loaded same ever with the biggest splits of spruce I can fit (usually 6-9 depending exact size and shape) I get about 8-10 hours of burn out of a load since mine is a non-cat stove. I wish I had some of that hardwood you southerners get! Spruce, pine and aspen are all we have up here. Got about 3 cords of aspen that should be ready for next year though!

-14F overnight. Put a huge chunk of a i think white ash in right before bed along with some red oak splits. House was very toasty at that time (73F in hallway). Woke up at 5am and it was still glowing red so i fill it back up and got it going good again (66F in hallway). I swear wind and 2F is worst then no wind and -14F. Sun is out so house will warm up nicely (south facing/lots of glass). Furnace continues to stay in the off position :)

Some nice cold weather here in WI for most everyone in the state. Been getting into my hickory cord for day and night burns. Burns great, smells great!

Reloaded with some pine until tonight. Windy, snow on the ground (tho the shoveled driveway is clear now, dried out).

I see a 21 F day and 10 F night predicted coming Tuesday. Will be running higher then...

Load of cherry and red oak mix going right now after the morning load of white oak and locust needed refreshed. Snowed 5 additional inches on the previous snow we had from earlier this week. Wind chill is in the low teens currently. Headed for lows in the single digits overnight.

We had 20.2 this morning with more maple and yellow birch going in the wood stove. NOAA is calling for a low of -4 in the morning, we're burning the pellet stove and in the morning I'll take the ashes out of the wood stove.

We were in the low single digits last night, headed close to that again tonight. Burning White Oak and cruised through last night no problem, burning Ash at the moment and will switch back to the White Oak for overnight. Happy to have some freezing temps so I can skid some logs out of the woods without tearing up the trails.

Overnight reload with oak, and 2 pieces of ash and a piece of pine. 28 now, 23 low, 31 tomorrow.