What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Going to fill up all oil / gas canisters. If nothing else, hedge against the oil price increase.
Earlier this morning the WC had us getting 8-12 but just before noon they had dropped it to 5-8 of snow. We're set on gas but we'll get more sand for the three point sander, we should be in for more rain and then freezing temps, if we do get ice, we'll be set.

Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
I'm back :) (for a few days).

44 for a high today, but a low of 33 forecast overnight. So I started the stove with some (2") oak splits and oak shavings from splitting around 5.30 pm.

Basement is warming up. Will reload with oak for overnight when it's ready.

Tomorrow 37 hi, 30 low, so I'll keep burning. Thursday 44 hi (so simmering), 30 low, burning.
Friday 48 hi and 40 low, Saturday 48 hi. So I'll let the stove go cold Friday morning.
Saturday night 21 for a low, so I'll start Saturday afternoon.

Then Sunday morning I am leaving for a week at a conference for work, so I'll stuff it then (37 hi), and the family will use the minisplit the rest of the week, including Sunday night at 32... Enough kWhs in the net metering bank for that. The rest of next week seems lower 50s highs and around 40 lows. So perfect minisplit weather when I'm gone.

Burning up the funky junky stuff now.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Burning some 4 year old walnut that was at the bottom of a row in my stack. I will be back to ash and oak soon. I'm hoping I have enough on my porch to last me the rest of the season so I don't have to bring more up. Loving the wood heat and smaller utility bills. I did take a break from burning and spent some time in South Beach Miami Florida last week. I must say I did burn myself in the sun on the beach though!!!

It's 23 out tonight with some ash & ironwood going in the wood stove. The temp in the basement is 75 heading north, we're at 68 in the living room and the sleeper.

Base of locust loaded E/W, random wood shorties loaded N/S above. Temp going to hover around 30 today and snowing until midnight.

Reactions: MMH
Snowing here after some sleet earlier. 1" on the ground, road still clear (but salted).
Oak from yesterday evenings sloppy (had taken ashes out, and my firebox was bigger than I was used to... so I didn't bring enough wood in from the garage) reload still keeping us around 68.

how did you score the ironwood?
We have 136 acres I cut on, after the winter or windstorms we always have damaged trees, that's where I get most of them. Some of the ironwood came from widening a trail for our RTV.

Hopefully we don't have any damage to the ironwood this year, we only burn a face cord per winter so we're set.

We had 18.1 this morning, the basement was 72, the living room and the bedroom were 66 this morning before our first fire.

50 degrees and raining today. Burning scrap pieces of oak and sweetgum just to keep the damp chill off. Have not burned in almost two weeks since its been very warm around here.

Accu is calling for a low of 27 tonight, we'll load up the Liberty with more ash. The living room temp is 69 and the bedroom is 67.

I added 2 small splits at 2.30 today, and reloaded with 75 pct full box of red oak now. It was a dreary day; snow, sleet. 2-3" in the lawn, some slush on the road. 34 F now, a low of 31 F. Tomorrow 44 for a hi, so I'll be simmering the stove for the 29 low of tomorrow night and using the minisplit if needed.

We had 18.1 this morning with the temp in the basement at 72, the living room and the bedroom were 67.

More ash went in the wood stove for our first fire this morning.

ha.. 1 piece takes up the whole firebox, it's been around for years in my yard and it was time to go. i should have cut it with the chainsaw. It's gonna be a smoldering hunk for the next 4-5 hours. i'll try to add "burner" splits around it, but i can't fit any in.

ha.. 1 piece takes up the whole firebox, it's been around for years in my yard and it was time to go. i should have cut it with the chainsaw. It's gonna be a smoldering hunk for the next 4-5 hours. i'll try to add "burner" splits around it, but i can't fit any in.
If it's dry, it was a good thing to do 🔥
It'll last you until tomorrow :)

Yesterday night's load lasted until 6.30 today. I was half an hour too late so I used two small sticks of cedar to get it going again. Then two small splits of oak.

Reloaded now with about an 85 pct load of red oak, most with a 3/4 inch punky layer on the outside.
It's 37 F now and the low will be 30 F.

Tomorrow I'll let it go cold once it's done. Because it'll be 47 or so, so I'll empty out as much ash as i can. Saturday afternoon I'll restart it for a cold 24 F night. But it'll be a half load as I have to leave for a trip for work very early Sunday morning, and I want to stuff the box then so that my family will have a 24 hr burn starting Sunday morning early.

It's 24.1 tonight with another load of ash providing the heat, the basement is 74, the living room and bedroom are 68.

Headed for a low of 26 tonight..20 Friday night..11 Saturday night and 19 Sunday night..then a very nice warm up! Till then the Princess will be fed a steady diet of Locust for a few days...I have been very impressed with the BTU output and long burn times of this locust!