What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
4 loads in a King?
That's a lot. Unless they are all as filled as the one in the pic?

Nice pine fire though!

4 loads in a King?
Yea, 4 loads. My large pine trees are quite knotty, and thus split quite irregularly, so they cannot be loaded densely. Plus, they have been dead so long they are somewhat pithy. In addition, I have several fans going on the stove to strip enough heat off to heat my large two story house.

We had a temp of just over 43 this morning, the house was at 67. We haven't had a fire yet with the house temp at 68.

Reactions: MMH
Temps currently 35 out with the feels like at 25. House is 73. Last nights load lasted 18 hours, I just threw in a couple pine rounds to take us through the rest of the day until tonight.

The wife said the house felt cold so I started a shoulder season fire with some pine, I might have another small fire tonight before I call it a night.

Reactions: MMH
Lows headed for 10-15 tonight. I’ll do a full load of pine tonight. Oh and the wiener went back to his spot.

We got right at 4 inches of rain since yesterday evening which is a godsend cause we need it. It cooled off quite a bit from this morning so when I got home I put in a few small splits of hickory and red oak to heat the house up. It's a damp 43 now with a low of 37 tonight so I will put in a small load of red and post oak on the coals to tie us over for the night.

We got right at 4 inches of rain since yesterday evening which is a godsend cause we need it. It cooled off quite a bit from this morning so when I got home I put in a few small splits of hickory and red oak to heat the house up. It's a damp 43 now with a low of 37 tonight so I will put in a small load of red and post oak on the coals to tie us over for the night.
Send it this way, we've been pretty dry.

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
Send it this way, we've been pretty dry.

I hear ya. Seems the whole country could afford a good soaking. This map obviously doesn't take into account this weeks rain but it puts it into perspective how bad the drought is. I read a couple days ago that the Mississippi river level somewhere around the bootheel of Missouri was the lowest recorded in 30 or 40 years. The local weather station is talking about another chance of rain here this weekend. Hopefully it's a pattern change and it will give us both some rain. This map is from noaa.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I hear ya. Seems the whole country could afford a good soaking. This map obviously doesn't take into account this weeks rain but it puts it into perspective how bad the drought is. I read a couple days ago that the Mississippi river level somewhere around the bootheel of Missouri was the lowest recorded in 30 or 40 years. The local weather station is talking about another chance of rain here this weekend. Hopefully it's a pattern change and it will give us both some rain. This map is from noaa.

View attachment 301405
Here in the NE, we welcome dry weather. Usually it is quite the opposite though. This summer though, I only had to cut my grass for most of the summer once every 1.5 - 2 weeks. It was glorious. And even then, it was to knock down some grass that grew higher than others. Now fall is back, the pond is filling back up from the rain and run off. The grass is very green, and the return of warmer weather is causing the green devils to grow again.
Oh I cant wait until I can drain the gas in my tractor, run out what's in the bottom of the tank and carb bowl, and never sit my butt on that thing until April.

Here in the NE, we welcome dry weather. Usually it is quite the opposite though. This summer though, I only had to cut my grass for most of the summer once every 1.5 - 2 weeks. It was glorious. And even then, it was to knock down some grass that grew higher than others. Now fall is back, the pond is filling back up from the rain and run off. The grass is very green, and the return of warmer weather is causing the green devils to grow again.
Oh I cant wait until I can drain the gas in my tractor, run out what's in the bottom of the tank and carb bowl, and never sit my butt on that thing until April.

Yea I probably mowed 5 times this summer. I quit mowing about a month and a half ago and we only got our first frost last week. The downside of no rain here though.....where we normally see 40 or so inches of rain per year....is this is cattle country. A lot of folks are already feeding hay that they need to get through winter and really can't spare and have been for a month or so. I'd say a lot of smaller operations sent their cattle to the sale barns and cut their losses.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We have some cooler weather coming in later tonight so it looks like we'll start burning again in the morning. Friday morning we should be in the low to mid 20's.

We usually burn 6 face cord of shoulder season wood in a heating season, 4 in the fall and 2 in the spring. This year I had 8 face cord ready with a plan of burning 6 in the fall and 2 in the spring but we'll see when mother nature brings in the colder weather and when we'll make the switch to better hardwood.

We also have a pellet stove that we'll use at night when it gets really cold, we usually burn 50 - 53 bags per year but last year since I didn't have enough shoulder season wood up, we burned 63 bags.

Reactions: Bobbob and NickW
Load of ash and cherry in the Stratford II. Supposed to get down to 24 tonight. Doesn't like E/W loads even with the bottom row N/S, so anything over 16" is getting cut in half. Glad I've been cutting to 12" lengths to fit behind the andirons, but have to work my way through the longer stuff in inventory. 16" will fit N/S except right by the andirons, but too close to the glass seems to mess with air flow almost as bad as E/W loads.

We had 40.5 this morning with a load of shoulder season wood going in the wood stove. I was outside most of the day and just started another shoulder season fire, our temp inside is 69 and the basement is 75.

We're at 31.6 tonight with Accu calling for a low of 25 for our area. It's 69 in here with a load of ash on the bottom row and some pine on the top row planned for the overnight load.

Had another small front move through with some scattered snow flurries. Lows headed for 10-15 again, loaded up some mahogany and red elm with a pine round for the night.
Is the mahogany lumber scraps or actual firewood? I actually burn a decent amount of mahogany, but it's always lumber scraps. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else mention burning mahogany in here.

Is the mahogany lumber scraps or actual firewood? I actually burn a decent amount of mahogany, but it's always lumber scraps. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else mention burning mahogany in here.
Firewood; I have curl leaf mountain mahogany in my area. Only natural hardwood I have. I try to use it sparingly and only bust it out when the temps are below 15F.