What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 31.1 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73 with the temps up here at 68. Another load of ash went in the wood stove this morning.

Reactions: stoveliker
It's 29.7 tonight with the basement temp starting at 77 and the temps up here at 70. The wood stove has six splits of ash with two splits of beech for the overnight load.

It snowed a lot today and was quite windy, but it was too warm, so the 3" it would have otherwise been is only a slushy 0.5" on the ground.
I added two splits of ash at 2 pm, and reloaded with ash shorties for a 2/3 load at 9 pm.

33 f outside now, 69 up here.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We had 21.4 this morning, the temps up here were 68 and the basement temp started out at 72.

Another load of ash went in the wood stove before I went out plowing.

Currently 34F with forecasted low of 28F tonight. Stove room at 76F, main living area at 70F and bedrooms at 68F. Loaded the BK at 930 pm about half full of mostly ash with one or two splits of black locust to carry us until 6am tomorrow morning.

Windy here, 37 with a forecast low if 30. Ash for the night.
Tomorrow the stove will go cold as it'll be 50s during the day and 40 or higher at night, until Saturday night.

I was runnin'n low on Ammin, went and got some NIELS last week and been burning them, does that count. They are crazy good, but anyway maybe that doesn't count since not really logs. Kinda like taking a Yamaha to Sturgis telling everyone it's a H-D Hawg. :eek:

I was runnin'n low on Ammin, went and got some NIELS last week and been burning them, does that count. They are crazy good, but anyway maybe that doesn't count since not really logs. Kinda like taking a Yamaha to Sturgis telling everyone it's a H-D Hawg. :eek:
You are good. I'd the metric bike over an overpriced noise machine any day.

This absolutely "counts": you have flame in your stove, heat in your home, AND you do so with dry fuel. That's the winning combo, imo.

More people should do that when they run out of dry cord wood.

Last night we were just above 26, the temps up here were 70 & 71. I loaded up the wood stove with three beech splits and three ash.

This morning was just over 22, the stove received five splits of ash. The temps up here this morning were 68 & 69.

Fresh load of Red Oak just went in. 32F now and much cooler with high winds for 2 days. Down into single digits considering windchill.
Bring on the springtime🔆

It's 32.2 tonight, the basement temp started out at 72 with the temps up here 68 & 69.

I loaded up the wood stove with eight splits, two beech and six ash.

Reactions: moresnow
Finally we are able to burn some cherry that was cut live on the property, early last fall. Reading at 16-20%MC. 8 splits kept the house warm last night during the 12 hour deluge.

We had 31.1 this morning with the basement temp starting out at 70 and the temps up here 67 & 68. Five splits went in the wood stove, one beech and four ash.

I just turned on the pellet stove, the temps up here and the basement are starting at 68.

11°F outside twoandahalf hours ago with the furnace running! WTH??
Found a few pieces of maple tossed in with ol’ oak for this morning’s real heat.
Stay warm folks!

85700450-BC12-4224-9442-50D260334FFF.jpeg

I'm not sure what the temp was outside this morning but the temps up here were 69 & 70. I'm thinking we were in the mid 20's.

I shut the pellet stove off this morning and about 10 a.m., I built a fire in the wood stove with five splits, three beech and two ash.

NOAA is calling for a low of 15 in the morning, the outside temp tonight is 24.4. The basement temp is starting out at 77, the sleeper is 69 and the temps up here at 70.

I shut the fan off on the wood stove and we'll be heating the house with the pellet stove tonight.

I started what I suspect to be the last fire this season; 30 overnight, 42 tomorrow, 29 tomorrow night.

After that it's in the 50s during the day and above 35 overnight. I'll do one hot fire with wide open air to crisp up the creosote (from burning low in the cat stove) in the firebox later when I know for sure I won't be burning anymore. This makes it easier to brush the firebox to clean it for the summer season.

Now it's ash for tonight. And one ash splits shorty and oak for tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Last edited: