What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A load of oak and elm should keep the place warm until we leave for dinner and come back...then probably a reload before bed.

7 degrees and 25 MPH wind this afternoon at 1PM. A full load of 3 year old red oak is in the menu.

Stuffed her with 12 splits of burr oak...got bad weather rolling in the am. IMG_2496.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Red oak

Cold ashes. Temp almost hit 60 today. That's heat pump territory for sure.

Red oak load. 24 degrees and headed down. Pretty much all I burn.

The wind is fierce and the ground is covered with ice. With the low temp and venturi effect on that tall pipe this load is like trying to throw a saddle on a running horse.

Reactions: Ashful
Half dozen splits of hedge, headed down into the 20's tonite.

Going to bed with pecan, dogwood, osage and persimmon. Saved up the good stuff for tonight, apparently. It may be overkill, but I'll be warm this last Alabama week of winter, damnit.

Oak & maple.WP_20170315_001.jpg

I stuffed the stove full for the first time last night with some well seasoned hedge I had stashed back... I was loving that! Bedtime temp was 75 and at roll out this morning after a overnight low of 17 it was 70 degrees with plenty of coals to load up a hedge/burr oak mix

white birch, with a bit of punky (free) ash.

as much 4 year seasoned oak and silver maple as I could stuff in the huge, old Lopi smoke dragon.
Just had the chimney cleaned and she is ready to roar!

Fully loaded on red oak

Just loaded with oak and a couple of odd sycamore splits that found their way into my pile.
How does sycamore burn? I hear it's not much fun to split by hand. Lots of it around, but I haven't run across any in my scrounging yet.

Virginia Pine (puts out heat quickly) and Water Oak (good coals for quick restart). It was 22 here in Dixie this morning but 71 in the house when I woke up.

How does sycamore burn? I hear it's not much fun to split by hand. Lots of it around, but I haven't run across any in my scrounging yet.
Fortunately, I got this stuff from a buddy with a splitter three years ago. He didn't mention anything about splitting it, but he splits a lot of elm, so it's probably all relative to him. It burns great, though. Being three years old, it takes off pretty quick.

Fire!!!!
IMG_0091.JPG
(Red oak)

Dry but moldy red gifted from churchbud with allergies.
From outdoors right into the stove to keep spores from filling the house.
Two days and nobody sneezin'.