What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nothing! This winter sucks! I don't like winter or snow, but I do enjoy cutting wood and burning it. Well it's been so warm and wet I haven't cut near enough yet or felt like ive got my fill of burning. We will prob burn this weekend overnight, but with days in the 60's it's too warm. Hopefully I can get some dry spells in March before landscaping really starts.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Got some elm splits pulling the night shift

Woke up today to an unexpected 2" of snow. I came home to a stove room at 76°, and the stove loaded up with elm and pine. I reloaded with pine, elm, and an aspen log. Secondaries going and everything is toasty.
14879141203801542217602.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ash at the moment. We've had a few nice days in a row. So we are starting a fire at night, with just one reload in the morning, and then letting it burn out. Temps are supposed to drop back down a bit this weekend though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been burning doug fir and locust. This is the coldest Dec-Feb since 1985 and the coldest since we've been in this house. It'll be our first 3 cord year.

This is just getting stupidly addictive, I hate winter but now that I have a stove I want it to stay cold longer so I can burn. :(
Finally temps went back down today so I could throw in leftover ash tonite.:)

This is just getting stupidly addictive, I hate winter but now that I have a stove I want it to stay cold longer so I can burn. :(
Finally temps went back down today so I could throw in leftover ash tonite.:)

I'm with you...although, I haven't even gotten my wood stove installed yet, so I'm glad this winter has been so mild. Ready for a wrath of God winter next year haha!

Reactions: fishki
63F outside now, headed waaaaay down to 55F tonight. ;lol So, I just loaded the stove with cedar kindling and five splits of ash!

"Brush piles & kindling" from wood we have acquired. Got into the 70's today and is in the mid 50's right now.
The wifey is chilly but didn't want a rip roaring fire. Wifey is warm, wifey is happy.

Cold ash. 75 degrees yesterday. Been a crazy winter, but it gives the oak another year to season. I think I'm around 3 cord so far, I'll take that

Cold ash. 75 degrees yesterday. Been a crazy winter, but it gives the oak another year to season. I think I'm around 3 cord so far, I'll take that
Same here, stoves been sleeping for a few days now. Supposed to be cold tomorrow but then get warmer again before getting colder later in the week. This whole Winter has followed the pattern of 4 or 5 warm days, then 2 cold days, then 3 or 4 cold days then 1 or 2 cold days.....but the cold days don't get real cold or last, we haven't been close to 0 this year.

We have abused Mother Nature for years, now she is hitting back...HARD.

I'm not gonna lie, this weather is great for work for me. Finished up a retention pond in Jersey we couldn't finish before Xmas because of the weather, getting ahead on where I'm at now. I'll take 300+ of these days

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Been burning Burr oak 95% of the time this winter and some red elm. Just fired the stove back up after a crazy warm week here in Indiana..70s yesterday with a forecasted low of 21 tonight...lol

78::F yesterday, the last day of one warm week of no burning in Feb; T-storms last night, and this morning awoke to snow flurries with 30's for a high.
This evening burning ash, black locust and a small chunk of Osage. Looks like evening burns this week. Burning the final chunks of bur oak, tulip poplar and spruce. Perhaps it'll last long enough to finish out the season before I need to break into a new stack.

Just loaded both stoves with oak. Got maybe 2 loads left in the rack on the patio, so tomorrow will be spent cutting another cord from 20" lengths down to 17", and then collecting all of the 3" chunks off the ground. Only a half dozen cords to go, on that job.

Going down to 31F tonight, after a few days above 70F... in February!

Some maple, poplar, and oak.
WP_20170227_001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerbait
Poplar and cherry. Gotta run what'cha brung but its cold and could use some more punch.

Got red oak rollin

Yep. 12 overnight for us. Welcome to march. Beech, bur oak, red maple and ash.

A bunch of uglies from some gnarly hedge. Temps dropped again :)

Winter made a roaring come back. 40 MPH winds with 10's tonight, couple of feet of snow Tuesday/Wednesday? The Beast is hungry for red and white oak tonight

The wind really got the trees in the avatar pic swaying.
Six stax dropped along the length so instead of cleaning it up,
to the front of the "burn next" it's going. Got red, ash, and elm
crammed in the box now and maple in the staging area on the porch.
Next is all of the same. lol There's some hard, dark stuff I'm gonna
hold back on till a real chill. Light outer inch, brown center 2/3, deep bark.