What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
last night i put a big ole maple chunk in. My wife said "that won't fit in there"

but my 4 year old told her it would. he was right :)

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Been burning punky pine again although the last 2 nights have been chilly & I switched to an oak, poplar, & maple blend. seems straight up oak is making the wifey too toasty...

10 degrees tonight. Red Oak and black birch up for the offering.

Been burning some beech and yellow birch due to some wicked cold . . . still burning some of the yellow birch since I've run into a small stash of it in my woodshed, but also burning a mix of maple, cherry, ash and whatever else I lay my hands on . . . variety is the spice of life.

Lovely cocktail of Black Cherry, Red Oak, and Black Birch

Cool. Never heard of anyone burning almond. In fact, never even seen an almond tree, here!

Almond is definitely a regional wood. I almost always bought almond when I lived in California. It is an agricultural waste product there and older trees are removed and so was relatively inexpensive firewood. Almond burns nice.

I was burning some almond from my own property this year. Had to cut down a few trees for similar reasons. I am planting about a dozen more this spring.

Reactions: Ashful
Nothing right now but ashes. Fan on the blower is not working right and it is out of my expertise to fix. Have a repairman coming out tomorrow and it needs to be cooled off so he can work on it. Wifey is not happy right now...

The wood I am burning these days is oak- split March 2012, hazel-split May 2013, silver birch-split June 2014 and holly-split October 2013. So you can imagine how well that burns!

The wood I am burning these days is oak- split March 2012, hazel-split May 2013, silver birch-split June 2014 and holly-split October 2013. So you can imagine how well that burns!

I've been burning red oak that was split in the fall of 2013 this winter. The results - amazing. I actually have to let the stove burn down to almost no coals left before reloading because the house gets way too warm.

my stove has been cold again for the last 4 days... looking like it is in the 60's for the next couple of days too....

Burning down some red maple now, getting ready to load locust and beech for overnight. We got some snow today and colder temps tonight and tomorrow. Then up to the 50's for the weekend so we won't be burning to much.

Poplar, oak, & maple. Blower is working again and wifey is toasty & happy.

Last edited:
Whole buncha ash last two days as that's the abundance.
Saving the red for a cold snap, and the balsa n' punkwood
won't cut it.

Cold and blizzard conditions for se Ct and very cold tonight. Broke out the vintage hickory, 2 yrs CSS. That's about as vintage as I have (most of my wood is lesser dense hardwood).

2 crumpled pieces of newspaper from cleaning the gas and a tiny bit of fly ash....

Beech at the moment. Will be mixed with some Ash, and cherry tonight.

Snowing horizontally right now and wind blowing like it hates me...but still only propane and fake logs in my stove as I wait for springtime to get my wood stove installed.

Got lots of wood getting nice and dry for next fall though [emoji3]

8dc2c9d06f02bf72d4f9fe7f7cd3a843.jpg

Snowing horizontally right now and wind blowing like it hates me...but still only propane and fake logs in my stove as I wait for springtime to get my wood stove installed.

Got lots of wood getting nice and dry for next fall though [emoji3]

View attachment 194424

Update: a huge gust came through and knocked down my stack of well-seasoned hickory. It was 6' high by 16' long, and just a little too much surface area to withstand that amount of wind.

c49cede7bfd0548fd45eb42765ca9e14.jpg

Back to the drawing board on this one...I think it needs a little reinforcing

Last edited: