What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In my area of Idaho, all we have is pine. White pine, Doug fir, and lodgepole. Buying a Madison and a Tranquility today, and AMFM-Energy guy has told me that pine is going to be a really dirty burn, but I don't have much choice in the matter. It's all that's available here.

AMFM-Energy guy has told me that pine is going to be a really dirty burn,

Pine has a bad rep. You'll be fine to burn it as long as you allow it the time needed to dry. Drying doesn't really begin until the wood is split so get to that ASAP, new stoves need dry wood.

Many seem to do very well with lodgepole pine especially if you can find it dead standing. Doug Fir is a favorite of those that have it. A summer out in the wind and heat will do wonders, two is even better.

I have family in Twin Falls, the conditions they get there would be good for drying wood quick.

Reactions: Ashful
Ressurection of thread...

Nothing at the moment but we've done a few burns to take off
the morning chill.
The menu this winter is ash, pine, some red, and a huge variety of scrounge mix.
I went by density piling up each section of the wood wall for the changing conditions
and we can grab from the soft, medium, or hardwood with equal ease.
We hit the 40's twice in the last week. Here we go gang! (at least in the Great Lakes region)

Reactions: Rangerbait
I've got about a cords worth of 15% black locust, 1st time burner of that, I have stored in the woodshed in spot that I should hit around the new year or so... drooling just thinking about it, plus I got a brand new cat this season, so come January I'll be doing mixed red oak and black locust

Yes it won't be long. This weeks lows are forecasted to be in the 40's all week except for Thursday night at 39 for a low. I'm ready with 3 year seasoned Maple, Red Oak, Birch and Hickory. All free wood from the neighborhood. My summer LP fill for this summer cost me only $215 for furnace heat and hot water for a 3000 sq ft house in NW Wisconsin, not bad.

I've got Maple and Black Birch at the ready....not enough though and will likely need to buy a cord and some Bio Bricks to help with what surely be an unseasoned cord of purchased wood. Every time I wanted to split wood, the Wife always found another project that she wanted done and I kept telling her "we're gonna end up paying for wood and oil"....she said she didn't care.....wait till I tell her the cost when the time comes....bet I get yelled at<>

Locked and loaded for another winter here. Maple ash cherry and red oak. I don't think I'll be burning just quite yet tho. September is still early. Day time temps are still warm to get through the night.

it was 96 degrees here on sunday. We had a bonfire to get rid of some scraps. I had to test one of my pine pieces to make sure it was good to go this season. It was :)

Fired up the T5 today with some white birch that is god knows how old. It was used as decoration in my sister's fireplace when she bought the house a couple years ago. Lit up and burned great.

Outside temp was about 63...yes, you could say I was bored and just wanted to "see how the stove was running..."

I still have some left over ashes from last winter in mine, still a month away from getting cold enough to light it up.

I've got Maple and Black Birch at the ready....not enough though and will likely need to buy a cord and some Bio Bricks to help with what surely be an unseasoned cord of purchased wood. Every time I wanted to split wood, the Wife always found another project that she wanted done and I kept telling her "we're gonna end up paying for wood and oil"....she said she didn't care.....wait till I tell her the cost when the time comes....bet I get yelled at<>

Wait...we're supposed to ask our wives if we can split wood? Lol

My hoard for this season is all 3+ years old Mulberry, Hackberry, Cherry, Black Walnut, and Ash...and to complement it, I have 4 cords of Poplar that was CSS this past winter, but out in the sun and wind all summer, and is now sub-15% MC. Just need to let the next week of sun dry the past 48 hours of rain off of everything, and get it covered.

Wait...we're supposed to ask our wives if we can split wood? Lol
Not that I asked......I would head to the shed to pull out the splitter and would be stopped because she had other projects that she feels is more important....like painting the deck.....or going thru items in the basement to be thrown in the trash<>

Chilly this morning. It's still too early but it might be getting close. The chimney sweep is here today for a cleaning.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
The shed is full of doug fir on one side and mixed hardwoods on the other. Here the nights are starting to get cool, but still in the 50's and the house holds the heat well enough that we warm up again with just solar gain. But it won't be long now before the T6 wakes up.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Woke to 47F this morning. Our boiler has six zones, and one of them went on this AM. I'll be running on oil, the next few weeks, but will surely be lighting the stoves before Halloween, if this keeps up.

Daily early morning pine fire last week or so now....
Few ultra dry punk-ish scraps now super dry from 2016,
Pallet pieces, etc. etc. "Tis junk burning season. lol

Mines pretty well cleaned out as I've been in and out of the firebox trying to make efficiency improvements. Just some crumbles of soot and fly ash. I Will be getting the wood shed stocked in a few weeks and ready for the cold to roll in.

Burning my pine. The stove is going all day and night now. But, I'm hoping to get a few more warm days so that I can give the stove a good cleaning before the real cold weather starts. Also, I am trying to figure out which CAT I am needing, and still have to order it and install it.

Still empty. 90 degrees and had the air conditioners running today.

Ditto. This weather is great... for July.