What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Right now I'm down to coals but the cat is still active and cranking out the heat from a fire started last night at 7:30 pm. That's over 19 hours off a load of small-medium uglies I'm trying to get rid of. That wood had some crazy spirits in there. Here's the joker that came out last night:

Chinook30 2.jpg

My stove spiders have passed on. It got below 50 last night, and I burned off a load of bamboo and sticks out of the yard. Still haven't dipped into the firewood, but it's coming.

I think I may actually start cutting and stacking bamboo for kindling instead of throwing it down the hill. It burns nicely once it's dry.

My stove spiders have passed on. It got below 50 last night, and I burned off a load of bamboo and sticks out of the yard. Still haven't dipped into the firewood, but it's coming.

I think I may actually start cutting and stacking bamboo for kindling instead of throwing it down the hill. It burns nicely once it's dry.
So do rose brambles

It could be hypodermic needles! Or plastic vodka half gallons! Actually, salt is worse. Pistachio shells have a much higher concentration of salt than driftwood. Salt has no easy way to leave the firebox once it adheres to the interior steel, it persists. Salt also attracts moisture from the wood to the steel.

Is it going to rust a hole in one season? Of course not. I just prefer to avoid getting it in there in the first place by putting them in my kitchen garbage.
9 seasons and the old T6 is still looking good, inside and out. Doug fir is what is in its belly tonight and for the next month. 4 splits a night are keeping us cozy.

9 seasons and the old T6 is still looking good, inside and out. Doug fir is what is in its belly tonight and for the next month. 4 splits a night are keeping us cozy.

Yeah, my previous stove lasted 28 years without needing anything but door gaskets and firebricks. It was a 2.3 CF 1988 Seefire EPA approved tube stove. Good stove but not in business anymore under that name. Came from Lower British Columbia. Maybe some other stove maker bought them.

Right now I'm down to coals but the cat is still active and cranking out the heat from a fire started last night at 7:30 pm. That's over 19 hours off a load of small-medium uglies I'm trying to get rid of. That wood had some crazy spirits in there. Here's the joker that came out last night:

View attachment 201238
Cool picture.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bfast250
I know, I got lucky.

When I stare into his "gaze" it seems like he comes alive! Be careful.

I was going to say it almost looks like a Ghost Rider figure to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Reactions: Rangerbait
We burned a half stove's worth of pine last night to take the chill off. I'm not looking forward to the cold but I will admit I like going through the process; there's just something calming about it.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Ran a load of tulip poplar last night when the outside temp dipped into the 40s. Today I'm splitting and stacking a dead red oak that's been down in my yard all summer. Should have put this thing into the stacks back in June, but the heat here in Maryland caused a major lack of motivation until now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

i have a load of maple, elm, and pine waiting for the temps to drop. its been 60 when I wake up in the house, but then it has been 80 outside, so i haven't wanted to get the fire going in the AM!

Reactions: ThunderMedic

View attachment 201238
OMG I see the devil in your stove!! Be very careful as to not letting him out of your locked stove!! Lol

Shoulderwood.

aka pine, poplar, some balsa-type willow, catalpa, scrap 2x4 pieces, etc.
Yes, lotsa cig-butts. LOL

I tellz mama, "See, the house is still a smoke free zone", as the smoke is
sucked right out whilst the firebox door is open.

No pistachio shells, peanut shells, nor sunflowers tho. U guys are funny.

Dust

8 month prego wife likes the house cool this year. I give it another week.....but then again I still have to put new door seals on and clean the stack......................

Ashes. Low of 50 F here tonight, and the next 4, then it's "All Hands On Deck".

Get load up the house this weekend.

Had two fires in one of my stoves this week. Was nice!

Okay, I'm ready for spring, now. ;lol

Reactions: redktmrider
So far we've been able to hold off. I wanted to start a fire a few days ago, but we were scheduled for our chimney to be cleaned. Now the temperatures are back up to the 70's during the day, yea.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk