What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We hit 18 today for a high, we'll take it.

I hear ya!

At 1:30 we were showing 17 degrees, so I went outside to split & stack the last of the cordwood that I got with my last woodstove purchase a few weeks ago. That's the mixed mystery wood I've been burning.

I hear ya!

At 1:30 we were showing 17 degrees, so I went outside to split & stack the last of the cordwood that I got with my last woodstove purchase a few weeks ago. That's the mixed mystery wood I've been burning.
How's it burning?

Reactions: Todd67
How's it burning?

The wood is burning good. The woodstove will get installed in my detached garage this summer, after I refurbish it and paint it. It's a Fisher Grandpa Bear.
00w0w_4m2t2XIOCmv_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Kinda depends on which crystal ball gazer you tune in to. I've seen three for here that range from 26 to 32, although we're normally near the lower end... Here is a link to my weather station here on the farm: https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ny/east-de-kalb/KNYDEKAL2?cm_ven=pwsdash_cityforecast
We'll see if this makes its way into the north country.
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
432 PM EST Mon Jan 14 2019

NYZ001>008-010>014-019>021-085-152145-
Niagara-Orleans-Monroe-Wayne-Northern Cayuga-Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-
Northern Erie-Genesee-Wyoming-Livingston-Ontario-Chautauqua-
Cattaraugus-Allegany-Southern Erie-

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for western and north central New
York.

.DAY ONE...Tonight.

The probability of widespread hazardous weather is low.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Tuesday through Sunday.

There is a potential for a significant winter storm late Saturday
into Sunday. There is a risk for heavy accumulating snow and strong
winds.

Reactions: Todd67 and jaoneill
We'll see if this makes its way into the north country.
National Weather Service Buffalo NY

NYZ001>008-010>014-019>021-085-152145-
Niagara-Orleans-Monroe-Wayne-Northern Cayuga-Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-
Northern Erie-Genesee-Wyoming-Livingston-Ontario-Chautauqua-
Cattaraugus-Allegany-Southern Erie-

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for western and north central New
York.

.DAY ONE...Tonight.

The probability of widespread hazardous weather is low.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Tuesday through Sunday.

There is a potential for a significant winter storm late Saturday
into Sunday. There is a risk for heavy accumulating snow and strong
winds.
Another weekend storm "potentially" on the horizon. Underground is predicting up to 8" here Sat & Sun, they are the most accurate I've found. You typically get more than we do so the NWS may be on target.....

Capture.JPG

This is what i'm in for over the next few days - and this is in degrees Celsius. Needless to say, I've brought some of my good stash of white birch inside to prepare. Looking forward to seeing how well this stuff compares to the jack pine in this kind of cold!

Another weekend storm "potentially" on the horizon. Underground is predicting up to 8" here Sat & Sun, they are the most accurate I've found. You typically get more than we do so the NWS may be on target.....
Intellicast is forecasting 6-11 inches for our area on those days. We'll make sure we have enough wood in so if we want to hit the trails we can.

Reactions: jaoneill and Todd67
We had 18 this morning, I'll need to take out some ashes before I load the liberty up with some beech,sugar and soft maple.

I see Intellicast has up the snow totals for this Saturday and Sunday to 13-20 inches.

+22 and snowing here now....
It's about the same temp here with a little snow. I took the dog for a walk (I was dressed for cooler weather) so I'm cooling off before we put in wood.

With the colder weather coming after the snow, the brook will freeze up even more which will make the water run on top of the ice and go in any direction it wants so I'm glad we don't live close by.

Have been burning red maple and ash the last few days over the weekend had 3 fires in 24 hours to keep the house warm enough. The heat has been kicking on a little in the A.M.
View attachment 238237
This is what i'm in for over the next few days - and this is in degrees Celsius. Needless to say, I've brought some of my good stash of white birch inside to prepare. Looking forward to seeing how well this stuff compares to the jack pine in this kind of cold!
That's cold, you can keep it up there!

+22 and snowing here now....

It's about the same temp here with a little snow. I took the dog for a walk (I was dressed for cooler weather) so I'm cooling off before we put in wood.

With the colder weather coming after the snow, the brook will freeze up even more which will make the water run on top of the ice and go in any direction it wants so I'm glad we don't live close by.
What are you guys looking at for snow this weekend. They are calling for 3"-5" Saturday afternoon, over 12" Saturday night and another 3"-5" Sunday for me. I'm guessing we will end up with 12"

Have been burning red maple and ash the last few days over the weekend had 3 fires in 24 hours to keep the house warm enough. The heat has been kicking on a little in the A.M.

What are you guys looking at for snow this weekend. They are calling for 3"-5" Saturday afternoon, over 12" Saturday night and another 3"-5" Sunday for me. I'm guessing we will end up with 12"
Today I saw 13-20 inches but I'm sure that will change.

The below temps are from Accuweather for Sunday night the 20 and Monday night the 21 for our area, maybe we should bring in more wood.

NIGHT

-23°Lo
RealFeel® -42°

- 29°Lo
RealFeel® -51°

Partly cloudy; bitterly cold

Same forecast here, 13-20" for the weekend. 8-12 Saturday night and 5-8 Sunday morning.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We have a temp of 25 tonight, for the overnight fire we have beech and sugar maple.

We've been hovering around the freezing mark for the last couple of days...just warm enough to cause fog, and cold enough for it to freeze on the roads. It won't make up its mind. Either way, I just packed the stove with ash and oak, so it's going to be warm in the house tonight.

Well minus 30*C is here. Currently have a mixed load of birch, Manitoba maple and jack pine in the stove. Days like this make me want to be close to the fire.

We had 26 this morning so we loaded up with yellow birch,beech and some soft maple.