What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Both of my stoves are loaded with cold wood, in a cold house being "heated" with electric resistance heaters. We are almost done with a two day burn ban due to poor air quality like 20 miles away, and at 700 feet lower elevation, in some urban hellhole at sea level. I can't wait to catch up tonight and enjoy a pleasant 78 degrees instead of a very expensive 68. The kids and even the dang dog miss wood heat.

They're loaded with a mix of cherry and a little bit of fir right now.

Reactions: Todd67
Both of my stoves are loaded with cold wood, in a cold house being "heated" with electric resistance heaters. We are almost done with a two day burn ban due to poor air quality like 20 miles away, and at 700 feet lower elevation, in some urban hellhole at sea level. I can't wait to catch up tonight and enjoy a pleasant 78 degrees instead of a very expensive 68. The kids and even the dang dog miss wood heat.

They're loaded with a mix of cherry and a little bit of fir right now.
I didn't realize that your burn bans applied to heating appliances as well. We have burn bans that start in March but that is only open burning of brush and leaves.

I didn't realize that your burn bans applied to heating appliances as well. We have burn bans that start in March but that is only open burning of brush and leaves.

...and people complain about living in New York. We have issues in NY, but not as bad as the west coast. I'm surprised the burn ban includes wood heaters too.

There are fire safety burn bans in the summer that mostly apply to slash burning and issued by the state or the local fire districts. There are also air quality burn bans. These happen anytime, even in the summer, and can apply to any solid fuel burning. Even my pellet BBQ this last summer when the forest fires from Canada smoked us up a bit.

The whole "no other source of heat" excuse doesn't work anymore as they require that you register with them annualy for this exemption and they will require that you install heating equipment before renewing the exemption. They won't even give you the exemption if your income is high enough to have it fixed.

Honestly, there are several locations with these types of air quality burn bans. Alaska, Utah, WA, OR, etc. The theory is good but the way they trigger the bans is total BS. My little apple phone says air quality is good "green" in my location but many many miles away in the city down by the saltwater their air quality is moderate so they ban all burning in the whole huge county since they think people are too stupid to know where they live to any smaller level of detail.

...and people complain about living in New York. We have issues in NY, but not as bad as the west coast. I'm surprised the burn ban includes wood heaters too.

Every place has issues. I don't even have a state income tax.

But yeah, it sucks. 21 degrees outside, no wind, crystal clear skies and stars, 2 years of firewood dry in the shed, 2 modern clean burning woodstoves installed with permits, and I'm hunkering down by a f'n electric wall heater staying warm because some snot nosed city kid in an office couldn't see the mountain from within the city. When on that mountain I look back at the city and see the brown haze cap right on top of it only.

Reactions: Chas0218 and Todd67
Trust me, I'm not bad-talking the west coast. I'm convinced that NY is trying to compete with California when it comes to certain things. Those are some crazy laws there, and we have plenty of crazy laws in NY too.

Reactions: Highbeam
About an hour ago, I loaded up the Liberty with some yellow birch,sugar maple and beech,

Had to leave the cabin for a day loaded up the big King with oak, 32 hours later the Blaze King, still has some life in it cabin still warm

fire.jpg

Nothing until tomorrow morning. We took a break from burning for a few days cuz it warmed up a bit (mid 30f). Our intent was not to burn 24/7 but each year we find it harder not to. Cold spell coming soon so red oak it will be for a couple weeks.

We're heading to -13 according to NOAA so the pellet stove is on and the liberty is loaded up with yellow birch and ironwood.

-9 for us tonight. More mixed mystery wood in the Fisher tonight.

At 8am it's -11 with a -25 wind chill, and the wind is barely blowing! Just loaded the Fisher with more mixed mystery wood.

We had -17 this morning, more yellow birch and some ironwood going in the Liberty.

6*F this morning loaded the stove with some big splits of Ash. Seems like my wood is drier as I'm making my way into the pile more as it is lighting faster than usual.

We had a high of 10 so far back here in the pines, I just loaded up some beech splits in the Liberty.

We had 18 this morning with some snow hitting the ground, sugar maple and some beech are going in the liberty.

More hard maple here.

With this cold weather sticking around I will be done with the hard maple in about three weeks. Will have to break into some of my “heavy guns” wood.
BL, HL and sugar maple.

This coming Sunday and Monday night is supposed to be a cold one for us, looking like -4, and -5. Planning on running the stove hard, might have to do a midnight stoke.

We had -5 this morning for a low, a load of beech went in the Lopi Liberty. We're still burning down the coals from the beech, I'll reload at two with whatever is in the rack with a few rounds of ironwood.

I might put more ironwood in using the sled, we'll see.

I just loaded the stove up with beech and the top row is all ironwood.

We had - 6 when we rolled out of the sleeper so we made some coffee and loaded up the Liberty with beech. NOAA is calling for -15 tonight and on Monday night -18, after this fire burns down, I'll take some ashes out and load up with ironwood.

This is for our area.
WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow, along with dangerously cold
wind chills expected. Additional snow accumulations of 6 to 9
inches for a storm total of 9 to 16 inches. Wind chills as low
as 25 to 35 below zero.

We had - 6 when we rolled out of the sleeper so we made some coffee and loaded up the Liberty with beech. NOAA is calling for -15 tonight and on Monday night -18, after this fire burns down, I'll take some ashes out and load up with ironwood.

This is for our area.
WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow, along with dangerously cold
wind chills expected. Additional snow accumulations of 6 to 9
inches for a storm total of 9 to 16 inches. Wind chills as low
as 25 to 35 below zero.

Just about identical weather and forecast here. Still burning the mixed mystery wood in the Fisher Mama Bear.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Air temperature is 6 degrees, wind chill is 13 below zero. Creek in the backyard is frozen over. Insert loaded with seasoned elm and ash. Some oak on deck for tonight.