What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yesterday I started burning some mixed cordwood that came with a stove that I bought a couple weeks ago. I think most of it is soft wood because it is light weight compared to my seasoned maple and ash. Some of it is heavy, but most of it is light weight. It might be borderline "over-seasoned", which is why I'm burning it now, rather than later in the winter.It's burning hot, but it's burning faster than my ash and maple. I'm no tree expert, so I'm not sure what most of it is. It's also typical for cordwood around here, that most of what you get from firewood suppliers is soft wood, the less-than-desireable-wood, or "junky" wood.

So today I am burning more of this mix of mystery wood. But my Fisher doesn't care, it's throwing plenty of heat:)

Reactions: thewoodlands
We had 28 this morning and with colder weather coming in we're burning some sugar maple and beech. The ironwood will see the wood stove starting tomorrow for about four days, it will be mixed in with the sugar maple and beech.

We had rain last night with about 1.5 inches of the heavy white stuff, NOAA is saying we'll get 11 inches of snow from this.

Reactions: Todd67
red oak packed tight, 15f

red & white oak+some ash, used some Slippery Elm ( this stuff is paper dry) to get a coal bed established as I had to clean out ashes.

We had 28 this morning and with colder weather coming in we're burning some sugar maple and beech. The ironwood will see the wood stove starting tomorrow for about four days, it will be mixed in with the sugar maple and beech.

We had rain last night with about 1.5 inches of the heavy white stuff, NOAA is saying we'll get 11 inches of snow from this.

We had 30 this morning & 4" of new snow. We had some heavy rain yesterday after dark and into the late night before it changed over to snow. Tonight is the start of a 3 day cold spell.

We had 30 this morning & 4" of new snow. We had some heavy rain yesterday after dark and into the late night before it changed over to snow. Tonight is the start of a 3 day cold spell.
Are colder weather starts on Thursday night, -2, Friday 9 & Friday night - 5, Saturday 11 & at night -9 and close to the same for Sunday.

Nothing like last winter, if we get enough snow then the sleds come off the trailer tomorrow.

We are looking similar in temps. I might have my days mixed up in my post above. It's still snowing and blowing here, probably lake affect snow.

image1.png

Windchill-20 tonight and -24F tomorrow night. All sugar maple on the menu.

A mix of mystery wood tonight.

We had a regular temp of - 10 this morning, sugar maple,beech and some american hophornbeam (ironwood) went in the Liberty.

Reactions: Chas0218 and Todd67
I've never burned ironwood, at least not that I know of. How long does it take to season?

We had a regular temp of - 10 this morning, sugar maple,beech and some american hophornbeam (ironwood) went in the Liberty.
I have a bunch but not very big I think the biggest is around 8" across the rest is around 4". I heard it burns well better than locust.

I have a bunch but not very big I think the biggest is around 8" across the rest is around 4". I heard it burns well better than locust.

My neighbor burns it when he can find it, and he loves it for it's heat output.

I've never burned ironwood, at least not that I know of. How long does it take to season?
I give it two full years, I haven't had any problems burning ironwood seasoned that long. I had oak from my only scrounge ever, it took four years to season and a few splits still spit at me when they went in the stove.

I've never burned locust but here it's great firewood.

Our temp never went over zero today so it looks like another cold night.

I thought oak was a faster-seasoning wood than maple, but I guess not! Two years for ironwood isn't bad.

My least favorite wood is box alder. Season it for two years and it seems to blow the match out when I try to light the paper:confused:

Today it got up to 3 degrees. Burning more mixed mystery wood.

Ironwood is very heavy and hard. Typically an understory tree in a forest setting. Per above 8" is about as big a section of trunk you will get on these. I've never burned it but imagine its near the same as Dogwood, another heavy hard understory tree.

I'm in the hospital talking my wife hot to light our stove on a cold start with Ash and Paper Birch over the phone.

We had 35 this morning so the Liberty saw more sugar and red maple.
Do you burn a lot of sugar maple I'm just wandering because I have a sugar maple on my property that I'm taking down I took some of it down last year so it is seasoned ride along with all the other would I have in my wood shed I'm just trying to figure out every time I put a load of sugar maple in my wood stove to burn the smoke comes out a light gray to dark gray all the other would I throw in there comes out to a very light white to Invisible where you only see heat waves coming out the chimney I have tried various ways various setups on my wood stove it's what people call a smoke dragon I've never burned sugar maple before so I'm trying to get some insight on why it would be causing such dark smoke even though it's seasoned

Do you burn a lot of sugar maple I'm just wandering because I have a sugar maple on my property that I'm taking down I took some of it down last year so it is seasoned ride along with all the other would I have in my wood shed I'm just trying to figure out every time I put a load of sugar maple in my wood stove to burn the smoke comes out a light gray to dark gray all the other would I throw in there comes out to a very light white to Invisible where you only see heat waves coming out the chimney I have tried various ways various setups on my wood stove it's what people call a smoke dragon I've never burned sugar maple before so I'm trying to get some insight on why it would be causing such dark smoke even though it's seasoned
Sugar Maple is equivalent to Red Oak. Red Maple is soft, Sugar is hard.

Maple needs to season for two years, it's full of maple sap.

@SpaceBus , hope you are doing ok, and hope your wife gets the stove going without any issues.

I knew it was the equivalent to red oak just smells a lot better when it's burned lol I however did not realize that it needed 2 yrs to season like oak does it's been only a year sence what little bit I have trimmed off before I bring the whole tree down I hate to because of what it is and it's beautyfull unfornetly it poseses a safety hazard for my house and family preovious owners didn't trim it proper so now the trunk is roting plus both the main croches on the tree are bad one is hollowed out and the lower one is split down into the main trunk about 4 ft hopefully I might be able to get a new one to replant but in a different area of my yard.

Maple needs to season for two years, it's full of maple sap.

@SpaceBus , hope you are doing ok, and hope your wife gets the stove going without any issues.

It's a new stove, she hasn't gotten used to it yet. I didn't have time to leave it properly prepared with loads of dry wood and kindling ready for her. After about half an hour on the phone she got it working. We switched to face time on Facebook and that helped a lot! She's got it up to temp now and it's going well. Hopefully I'll be out of the hospital soon. While in Afghanistan I picked up a blood disorder that causes my immune system to attack my blood. The MIL came over on Christmas, but didn't tell us she was sick. This caused my immune system to go into overload and nearly killed me. I've been laid up in Bangor since Tuesday around midnight. The MIL is making it up to us by dog/house sitting for the next few days so my wife can come see me in the Hospital. She's been forbidden to touch the stove though, because she has no idea what's going on most of the time. I'm willing to pay for the electric heat for a few days.