What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I could use the stove heat with the low overnight temps but our set up is inefficient for start/stop burning.

When the overnites are in the 30s and the daytimes consistently stay in the 40s we start continuous burning.

Usually that happens mid Nov around here

2nd fire of the year, but first real burn on black cherry, ash, and maple. Getting a nice coal bed for the 30’s tonight. Got wife’s family staying from out of state and I’m not turning the heat on! Lol

The temp will get close to 32 tonight so we're burning some seasoned pine. Our Lopi Liberty is in the basement so this is our second fire today.

We have about six years worth of shoulder season wood because of the clearing we did for the new garage. We usually burn 1.86 cord or 6 face per year but last year we didn't because it got cold real early compared to past years. We had two face cord left from last year.

Had the first fire of the season today. Raining and in the 50’s this morning. Burned enough to take the chill off and get stove top temps up over 400. I rekindled around 6:00 pm tonight. Oak, black birch and beach, all with fungus, just using the nasty wood up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was 19 yesterday, 56º in the house when I woke up. We have been burning for about a week straight here now...

A arm load of super light weight White Pine every 12-14hrs. Have not needed the blower fans. Working perfect. Have not removed any ash yet! Makes it fun this time of year.

Mid 30’s tonight, just a few loads of ash.

3 large chunks of 3 year old maple.

20181021_192330.jpg

Reactions: Jay106n
6-year old manzanita splits and 3-year old eucalyptus uglies that I'm using to cook off thick, 4-year old ponderosa pine knots. This'll be my formula until I get through the pile of those pine knots. I'm also adding an occasional (California) buckeye split (harvested two years ago, but was standing dead for maybe five years prior), just to get a feel for how they behave in terms of outgassing and coaling.

We're still burning white pine that is seasoned one year, it looks like the weather will be warm enough through the end of October that we'll keep burning pine.

Same thing here. Pine. Oh no! What did I do? Pine is bad, makes you bald and gets your teeth fall out.
I had the bald thing going on before we started burning pine but I plan on keeping my teeth.::-)

We're still burning pine until the colder air moves in, we should be around 32 for a low tonight with a high of 44 tomorrow.

Finally got a splitting wedge so I've been able to make a withdrawal from my stash of too-big-to-split white oak rounds that have been lying around for a few years and are mega dry.

On a side note, who the heck puts a 90° grind on the point of a splitting wedge? It was my first time using one, and I sent it about 20' across the yard with my first really solid whack. It wouldn't stick for anything until I took it back into the shop and put a concave grind into the point. After fixing that sillyness, no round was safe as I went around on a splitting frenzy with the big sledge.

The boiler really loved the addition of proper length, fully dried hardwood, after being forced to eat random length off cuts that probably weren't really ready to burn yet. By the time I got back into the house, it had already gotten up to 1200° in the secondary chamber which it normally doesn't do until it's had a few burn cycles to flash off the excess moisture.

More pine in the Liberty today/night.

We've been burning a mix of ash, pine, and poplar for this time of year. The evenings, nights, and mornings have been rather cool, but not cold enough to toss in the three year old oak yet!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Some pine slabs from the sawmill, great for this time of year, quick hot fires

Attachments

• FA8EF5E2-DC5E-4B61-B29D-1526FD8C5251.jpeg
    FA8EF5E2-DC5E-4B61-B29D-1526FD8C5251.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 136
I'm starting out with about 1/2 cord of maple stacked in February, with some 3 year red oak uglies thrown in. 30 inches of rain so far in 2018 has not allowed the maple it to dry as well as hoped. Just gonna rip through it and brush out the flue again, I need that spot for some red oak the powerline guys dropped.

after our cold spell, i'm back to ash.... its been in the 60's all week here!

34F here in Southern Maryland this morning. I just got home from work and the dreaded heat pump kicked on overnight while I was gone. 60F in the house and the Wife wouldn't get it of bed until it's at least 65F inside. Loblolly pine and some branches of beech and red oak that feel down in the yard over the last week. I forgot how hot loblolly burns! I've got over a full cord of it outside in the stacks and in looking forward to seeing how it fares this winter against my hard Maple, cherry, and red oak.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We had a temp of just over 20 this morning so we burned more pine in the Liberty.

Reactions: ThunderMedic
It's been another day of burning pine with the same going on tonight.

Reactions: ThunderMedic