What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Western Red Cedar, lots and lots of cedar! Great for the shoulder season, of which we're having an extended one - it was 13C here yesterday.
Must be nice 13 degrees C! Your whole winter is warmer than my shoulder season!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
We didn't have an overnight fire so this morning we put our first bag of pellets in our Lopi Yankee, it works.

The wood stove has nothing in it.

I put a load of pine in after supper tonight and then we'll burn another load of pine later tonight. We'll put in another two trailer loads of pine tomorrow and if the temp starts to drop enough where we need better wood, we'll start bringing in the hardwood we planned on burning for this winter.

Got down to 2C last night, might have to throw in a couple of sticks of doug fir on top of the cedar. House didn't get below 20C.

Reactions: MissMac
First burn last night. It's been cold enough overnight for a while, but I've had some chimney issues, still not 100% but okay to burn. Ash and white oak that's been sitting in the load cart in the basement since last spring. Very dry and a nice start to the season.

I put a load of pine in after supper tonight and then we'll burn another load of pine later tonight. We'll put in another two trailer loads of pine tomorrow and if the temp starts to drop enough where we need better wood, we'll start bringing in the hardwood we planned on burning for this winter.
My winter pine heard that! :)

Pine, bonfire wood, and uglies for now. Hasn't been cold yet so saving the good wood for now. That being said, the M-I-L is coming for a visit & as she is the ice queen, the temps are falling rapidly, and we have a possibility of snow next week.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: thewoodlands
The bottom row is all pine with the top row consisting of some red and hard maple.

Burned a load of Ash last night and got another going this morning before I left for work. I loving having some hot coals to start a new fire instead of starting from scratch every time.

Since I'm selling my home and my leftover wood...I'm burning some 1.5 yr seasoned maple rounds (bucked limbs) that I would end up giving away for free.
They are def over 20% moisture, but it is free heat.

I have a small pine fire going in the Liberty which should get me through until overnight fire tonight.

We did have two pine fires today but we had some pretty good winds so I let it go cold, we'll set the furnace at 62 tonight.

Maple right now. Our stove puts out some heat and will overheat the house in no time if loaded with hardwood when temps are above 0.
I’m pretty sure it will put out 200,000 btu if we let it. The maple burns up quick, but not as quick as pine. We have ash, walnut, oak, and elm ready for the cold season. It got down to single digits last night and the house was still toasty this morning.
I was working a lot this year, so we didn’t get as much wood ready as we wanted to. Some of it is still a bit green, but we have access to more dry wood so we’re not too worried. We have 6+ cord stacked by the door and ready to come in for the wood rack. I’m hoping to get at least 3 more cord before it drops below 0.

Reactions: Jay106n
Pine/Ash mix going on tonight. Pine burns hot and fast, and the ash lasts!

Put a load of ash in last night. Stove was running around 700* managed to get the downstairs to 75 before bed and 71 upstairs. By the morning I'm looking at 67 when I start another load. The cold temps had her drafting really well and I'm into 24/7 burning until we get a small break in April.

@thewoodlands you guys get a little snow last night? Saw Tughill was supposed to get around 1' or better. We just got a dusting down on the Southern Tier.

Put a load of ash in last night. Stove was running around 700* managed to get the downstairs to 75 before bed and 71 upstairs. By the morning I'm looking at 67 when I start another load. The cold temps had her drafting really well and I'm into 24/7 burning until we get a small break in April.

@thewoodlands you guys get a little snow last night? Saw Tughill was supposed to get around 1' or better. We just got a dusting down on the Southern Tier.
@Chas0218 , we had a dusting of snow overnight but it's actually snowing harder at the moment.

You know....

Pictures are worth a thousand words!

We had 12.5 this morning on our digital thermometer for a low, last night we had maple in the liberty and the pellet stove set at 75, we burned about a quarter of a bag.

This morning we loaded the liberty with four splits of pine on the bottom and maple on the top. We had some nice coals from the first fire so I just loaded it up with pine on the bottom with some cherry splits on top.

Tonight we'll see single digits and tomorrow we'll have a windchill of -6 according to NOAA.

Loaded stove full of Ash prior to me leaving for work this morning....going down to 25f here in Se Pa tonight...not as cold as some of you are dealing with...but cold enough...

Yup another load of ash and maple for me this morning. Loving a nice warm house when I come home.

On a side note our monthly nest thermostat report said our furnace for the month of October ran a total of 4 hours. I don't think that was too bad when only running the stove at night when we were home. Our day time temps were in the 40s for last couple weeks of October and in the 50s at the beginning.