What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mostly Mulberry and some Red Oak. Neighbor had a 110 year old Mulberry that went down after standing dead for 10 years then got pushed down by a logging outfit to get it out of the way. Sweet. Kevin

Black Cherry.

Dropped a standing dead this past weekend. 18” at chest height. Was a little scary because it was a leaner too. So far I’ve split over a half cord of it and hauled it back to the house. Still a few more rounds in the woods. Most of it is in the 19% range. Some of it is about 22%. I can tell a few splits in the stove are over 20% currently because they’re not burning well.

All of if is currently under 8” of snow because I neglected to check the coming forecast.

mostly honey locust which I wish I seasoned another year. It's currently about 2 years, it burns ok once it actually gets going but doesn't seem to get going all that easily. Throws heat and coals up good though for an overnight burn. It's pretty messy too with sawdust all over it from whatever bugs seem to love burrowing into honey locust.

It is cold out there! Decided to spice it up a bit!!

Hard maple on the menu for today.

It's not cold out there, it's frigid. Record lows and record low daytime highs on the menu for Maine today. It was 4 degrees and -12 windchill when I woke up. Needless to say, there's a full load of 4 year old red oak going to town right now.

Last edited:
The temps shot up today here in Iowa. The stove may stay cold for a while. The only wood I have burning now is cherry and apple in the smoker warning up the turkey.

I'm just heading down to get a cherry firewood fire going in the Lopi Liberty.

A small load of Gren Biobricks.

20181123_234555.jpg

Freezing rain possibility tonight. Have some pine, poplar, and will be adding a little oak shortly before heading off to bed...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

We were in the 40's today so we have some cherry going, they say we'll get between 0.50 -0.75 of an inch of rain before the snow starts later Sunday so things will be a mess.

First burn last night. It's been cold enough overnight for a while, but I've had some chimney issues, still not 100% but okay to burn. Ash and white oak that's been sitting in the load cart in the basement since last spring. Very dry and a nice start to the season.

I won’t give away your exact location but I’m local to you and we have been cold enough for a while! Hope your chimney issues are better!

Go Trojans and Go Bucks!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Yup another load of ash and maple for me this morning. Loving a nice warm house when I come home.

On a side note our monthly nest thermostat report said our furnace for the month of October ran a total of 4 hours. I don't think that was too bad when only running the stove at night when we were home. Our day time temps were in the 40s for last couple weeks of October and in the 50s at the beginning.

I’m impressed with your discipline to hold off of full time burning. And 4 hours with only night fires is great!

We have a temp of just over 37 tonight so we'll burn more cherry for our overnight fire.

Black cherry, bam-a-lam, whoaoao black cherry, bam-a-lam, black cherry had a child, bam-a-lam, damn thing gone wild, bam-a-lam

Reactions: Chas0218
Our wind chill is 6° right now.
The stove is loaded with red and white oak. It’s all we burn.

Attachments

• 90DDC873-11CE-4E79-86E6-CFEADA292FBF.jpeg
    90DDC873-11CE-4E79-86E6-CFEADA292FBF.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 127
I’m impressed with your discipline to hold off of full time burning. And 4 hours with only night fires is great!
I try, although it can be an uphill battle with my wife. She usually uses the excuse of the kids rooms being cold although they sleep in 1 piece fleece pajamas and fleece sheets. Half the time when their rooms are 65* or higher they have all their covers off sprawled all over the bed. Last year I was a little over zealous and ran the stove too much and burned through a lot of wood. This year I'm trying to stay on the conservative side to see if I can stay under 6 cords.

Have another load of Ash this morning. Only burning twice a day right now, coldest part of the house hits 65* before I fire the old girl up before bed.

Is it bad the wife wears a blanket next to the stove when it's 74* in the wood stove room?

Last edited:
I try, although it can be an uphill battle with my wife. She usually uses the excuse of the kids rooms being cold although they sleep in 1 piece fleece pajamas and fleece sheets. Half the time when their rooms are 65* or higher they have all their covers off sprawled all over the bed. Last year I was a little over zealous and ran the stove too much and burned through a lot of wood. This year I'm trying to stay on the conservative side to see if I can stay under 6 cords.

Have another load of Ash this morning. Only burning twice a day right now, coldest part of the house hits 65* before I fire the old girl up before bed.

Is it bad the wife wears a blanket next to the stove when it's 74* in the wood stove room?

Phew! I like it warm in our home (makes me feel like I’m doing a good job ha!) but 74 in the stove room with a blanket by the stove is a bit much for me and even my wife. I usually am in shorts and a t-shirt when hanging around the house. But we spend a lot of time in the stove room.

Similar scenario here with the kids rooms too. I always tell her they’re old enough to gripe if they’re cold. They do about everything else! Ha

Red oak and ash. It got cold out. Had not burned over the weekend with highs close to 50 and house was 65. Added a programmable thermostat the wife and kids can’t adjust

It’s 73 and climbing.

It was cold here for the holiday, Thursday and Friday, single digits overnight. Burned a mix of black Birch, red oak and shag bark hickory. It did the trick. I’ve got allot of black birch and red oak this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the weather is going to be semi-warm over the next week. Mid to high 30’s. Got used to running the new stove during the “feels like -8*f” cold snap. Loaded up on more sugar maple last night and woke up to an 80*f bedroom at around 2am. Only been throwing a split or two of maple/birch during/throughout the day keeping the house at and around 70. Currently a mix of red oak, cherry and maple. Won’t be loading it again for another 10 hours I suspect.

We'll be in the low 30's tonight so the Lopi Liberty will see more cherry for the overnight burn.