What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was chilly last night but no fire the wife turned on the furnace but it is supposed to be in the 60's today. I figured it is coming.

I don't get it in the summer the house has to be freezing, and in the winter it's never warm enough.
It seems paradoxical, but residents of colder countries seem to keep warmer houses, and vice versa. Maybe it’s the humidity loss, but places like Russia (the coldest major nation in the world) and Scandinavia tend to keep much warmer homes than those in more mild climates, like Great Britain.

Reactions: heavy hammer
It seems paradoxical, but residents of colder countries seem to keep warmer houses, and vice versa. Maybe it’s the humidity loss, but places like Russia (the coldest major nation in the world) and Scandinavia tend to keep much warmer homes than those in more mild climates, like Great Britain.

That's because vodka goes down better in a warm house... ;)

Scrapwood from around the house is what is being burned now...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

NOAA is calling for a low of 40 tonight so I'll load up with pine for the overnight fire, we heat from the basement with the temp at 76 and the temp up here at 72.

Reactions: MMH
In a few days I have lows forecasted in single digits (5-9 F). Might get a chance to test out this mountain mahogany >>

Reactions: thewoodlands
We're still burning white pine that was seasoned for a year, we should be switching over to hardwood near the middle or the end of the first week of Nov.

What kind of temps do you have (typical for your winter)?
This fall has been warmer compared with our past fall temps but our temps in January & February can get down to -30 to -35. We save our best hardwood (beech,american hophornbeam and sugar maple) for those months. We always have enough damaged trees that we don't cut the healthy ones.

The coldest temps might last for a week at the most and then hit us again for another week at the most. Starting this November I'll record our high and low for this winter which will include Dec.,Jan., & Feb.

What kind of temps do you have (typical for your winter)?
I just found some average temps for our location but they're from an airport 30 miles from here, October - High - 54 Low - 34, November - High - 41 Low - 25, December - High - 30 Low - 13, January - High - 25 Low - 5 , February - High - 27 Low - 5, March - High 37 Low - 16

Those temps are why we need a good inventory of seasoned firewood.

I just found some average temps for our location but they're from an airport 30 miles from here, October - High - 54 Low - 34, November - High - 41 Low - 25, December - High - 30 Low - 13, January - High - 25 Low - 5 , February - High - 27 Low - 5, March - High 37 Low - 16

Those temps are why we need a good inventory of seasoned firewood.

Yeah agreed especially if your seeing those negative temps that’s crazy. Mine seem similar except the extremes we might see negative single digits occasionally. Interesting your comment about logging the temps for yourself got me thinking I’ll do the same

Yeah agreed especially if your seeing those negative temps that’s crazy. Mine seem similar except the extremes we might see negative single digits occasionally. Interesting your comment about logging the temps for yourself got me thinking I’ll do the same
The two airports they get the temps from are both over 30 miles north and south of us, both places get different temps than we do.

We have a bunch of old white pines that help hold the snow on the house lot so once it gets cold, we stay cold back here until March until the sun gets stronger.

The two airports they get the temps from are both over 30 miles north and south of us, both places get different temps than we do.

We have a bunch of old white pines that help hold the snow on the house lot so once it gets cold, we stay cold back here until March until the sun gets stronger.

Yeah that’s the same here my temps are reported from an airport over the hill (20 ish miles) and I think there is a weather station over the mountains from where I’m at (another 20 ish miles) we’re close enough to the mountain range that sometimes we may catch some of the snow but usually always will catch the down valley winds and temps. I’ll have to get a decent thermometer and record the temps for myself and see what I actually have at our place this will make for a good experiment.

Alright, looking for someone to confirm..deny..or even speculate on this for me. I got my hands on some mountain mahogany recently but attempting to find btu of this 33-35 pops up on the internet, however this isn’t from a forestry site nor can I find any actual btu list with mahogany on it. So, I found a formula on chimney sweep(https://chimneysweeponline.com/howoodbtu.htm) which seems logical and intuitive sense. Using this formula I get 36.4 (rounding) mbtu per cord. Anyone chime in on this? Also, if this is even remotely accurate (which I suspect is) I’m a little apprehensive about putting this stuff in my stove! Lol however I saw on here/aborsite that some guy did a distance run with mahogany and almost stuffed his stove full of it. I’m thinking 1-2 pieces mixed with some oak and juniper etc should be safe. Anyone have recommendations? Or just the ol use some common sense. Also, thermometers should be string today so I can run my winter temp experiments. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mountain mahogany's janka hardness is 3,200 lbf. Usually the janka hardness goes along with the BTUs. Red oak is 1200, white oak is 1400, hickory is 1800. Double the density of hickory is going to be some super awesome stuff !!!

With the temps fluctuating between the 30s to the 50s it's white pine. I'm basically doing a fire every morning with 4 splits. That keeps the house at 70 till we go to bed. When we wake up it's low to mid 60s. I love white pine for shoulder season!

Reactions: kvesi122 and MMH
Record breaking cold and snow here the last few days. We have been running elm and box elder for the last few days.

0° outside last night, 74° inside. 64° when i woke up this am with half full stoveof hot coals. Not sure if the furnace kicked on at all, but I'm guessing it did.

Reactions: Threelittlefish

I bet you’re talking about the Adirondack Regional Airport in Saranac Lake. For some reason and no one knows why that area is 10-15 degrees below areas only 5-10 miles away. I’ve never heard a valid explanation as to why. It’s not elevation because at 1663’ msl there is much higher terrain close by. It is up there with some of the coldest places in the country. I live in Wilmington about 20 miles away. We’re cold here but Saranac is a weather anomaly.

It has been a warm fall. 62 degrees right now in Wilmington. Cold front coming through tonight. Some snow showers forecast for Sunday.

Been burning about 3 weeks now. Just 6 or 8 small splits on colder nights to take the chill out of the house. Mostly well seasoned sugar maple. Will have to up my game this weekend with the storm.

TTIWWP

Wind storm here tonight. Powers been off 3 times so far for less than a minute.

But just in case....
20191101_010929.jpg

The CHO (Chief Heating Officer) of the house is cold and it is supposed to get down to 30 degrees tonight. It is currently 31 degrees and the scrapwood is burning just nicely...
13fa250fb4e400b455189c19f16404cf.jpg

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

We are supposed to get up to 75 this weekend... maybe I'll get a chance to bring up the rest of the wood for the season! Loaded up last night with scraps and elm.