What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's 27.7 tonight and we have some cherry on the bottom row with the top row lineup of hard & soft maple we had leftover from last year.

It has started to snow but nothing heavy yet, hopefully we get close to five inches, that will make walking on the ice a tad easier.

Ash, sugar maple & cherry just getting lit...

Attachments

• 20210101_234523.jpg
    20210101_234523.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 100
An overnight load of maple. Tomorrow warm enough for the minisplit, but I'll keep a small fire glowing on the lowest possible Tstat setting so that lighting off the overnight fire tomorrow evening will be fast and easy.

The Lopi Liberty is loaded with soft & sugar maple, some cherry splits and one small round of American Hophornbeam.

NOAA is calling for a low of 27 in the morning.

Low of 27 tonight, no wind all day, still ice on all the trees and bushes, burning elm and red oak. Calling for dense freezing fog tonight and tomorrow.

Currently regretting putting a few more pieces of ash in instead of letting the am fire die out. 35 out and we are in t-shirts sweating....annnnnd I still have flames. Whoops lol.

Screenshot_20210104-134358_ecobee.jpg

I have my thermostat programmed to only use the Den, Kitchen, and Dining Room for the display temps as they are the furthest rooms away. They are the best indicators of any need for the backup heat....though we won't need that unless we can't use the stove for some reason. It easily heats the entire house. I usually shoot for 72/73 and then 68 ish on the cool side of the house for max comfort/wood use efficiency.

I should have let the basement stove die out as well last night, it was upper 30's overnight so the house was a little warm with both stoves going good. I was out in the woods with the dogs late last night and between being cold and wet it felt good initially, but ended up being to much. A big load of ash in each.

Low 30s this morning, supposed to stay in the low to mid 30s rest of the week. Burning through a North East Hardwood Sampler Pack, starting to get an understanding on the stove. We are getting 10-12hrs of 4 or 5 splits (16-18"), could probably get longer burns if I cut to the recommended 22" for the stove. Live and Learn and Stay Warm!

37 now, 30 minimum tomorrow morning, 39 during the day tomorrow.

Played tetris with maple.
Nine ~4" splits and two 1.5" to fill some gaps on top.

Poor pic, but good heat.

Video is charring phase in the BK.

IMG_20210105_211338189.jpg 16098995169423946890183134865487.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20210105_212040686.mp4
    5.7 MB
Last edited:
Currently regretting putting a few more pieces of ash in instead of letting the am fire die out. 35 out and we are in t-shirts sweating....annnnnd I still have flames. Whoops lol.

View attachment 271263

I have my thermostat programmed to only use the Den, Kitchen, and Dining Room for the display temps as they are the furthest rooms away. They are the best indicators of any need for the backup heat....though we won't need that unless we can't use the stove for some reason. It easily heats the entire house. I usually shoot for 72/73 and then 68 ish on the cool side of the house for max comfort/wood use efficiency.

I saw this post and thought that the content might deserve a mention in your "timing" thread. I realize it's not about keeping coals alive in preparation for an evening load, but it would be a good addition to that thread for people who come and have questions and read back threads to find the answers. It's something to consider as a possibility when choosing "Option A."

I'm impressed that your little insert does such a good job heating your house. Do you have excellent insulation and air sealing?

In keeping with this thread, I will say that I have a fire made entirely of cedar splits and branches in the stove for the overnight burn. It will actually only drop into the 50's, so not cold tonight and therefore no oak at all. The cedar does suprisingly well and will leave lots of good coals, but an oak fire would be too much when the cloud cover tonight is acting as insulation for the outdoors.

2 hrs later, cat at 2/3 of the active zone, cruising nicely on the black maple.

Attachments

• IMG_20210105_232727530.jpg
    IMG_20210105_232727530.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210105_232718114.jpg
    IMG_20210105_232718114.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 87