What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Last fire of the season; last few weeks it was warm enough for the minisplit to have heating duty, but tonight will be 32 F or so. So I am doing my "stove clean up fire". Started it, got a bed of coals, and added 9 small splits criss cross. 3 cherry, the rest sassafras. Letting it rip on high the whole load.

Then later tonight I'll fill it up with maple and I won't run it low and slow, but keep it on high. That'll clear out all the gunk (from running the cat stove on low) and will hopefully give me a decent temp tomorrow morning. This weekend then giving the stove a good cleaning. Sweep will follow later.

Happy Easter weekend all!

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_200353374_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20210402_200353374_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 86
Been in the 60s and 70s last few days, nights in the 30s and couple in the 40s, just night fires again. Would go with no fire but with the little one we’re not quite ready for that yet. Cooling off again next week lows in the 20s. Still another solid month of shoulder season fires here.

Sad day today, I've decided this season is done. I moved the remaining wood to the wood pile, cleaned the stove, and put everything away. :(

However if we get a cold blast, the wood really isn't that far away. :)

We had temps in the 60's and 70's all week so the stoves have been cold. This week is supposed to be a little cooler so a fire maybe started. I still have some cedar and small locust splits in the garage to burn up if I want to clean out the garage before the end of the burning year.

Nothing but some left over ash.

That will change this evening, when we will be offering a lovely mix of 2019 maple, 2019 cherry, and a touch of 2121 pine, topped off with round of 2019 of oak.

Sounds like a wine list :cool:

My stove has been cold for a couple weeks now, the furnace would run a bit at night. I cleaned my stove all out & wiped everything down but it’s supposed to be 40 tonight with highs this week in the upper 40’s - low 50’s with lows around 32 & breezy all week so I hauled some Elm & Cherry up this evening & will burn at nights only thru Sunday.

Eastern white pine and a bit of beech. I did however have my first day since last Fall with 24 hours of no burning on Saturday . . . almost made it to 48 hours but Mrs. Firefighterjake was cold last night and asked about a fire.

red oak mill slabs just to take chill off This morning. some more his evening as Nick said it going to side to the 30's tonight.

My stove has been cold for a couple weeks now, the furnace would run a bit at night. I cleaned my stove all out & wiped everything down but it’s supposed to be 40 tonight with highs this week in the upper 40’s - low 50’s with lows around 32 & breezy all week so I hauled some Elm & Cherry up this evening & will burn at nights only thru Sunday.
Sounds like we're on the same path, I cleaned my stove and wiped everything down, but with the forecast of highs in the 50's and low's in the 30's, I'm hauling some wood back to the house. That's ok, I just look at it as a practice run for end of season.

Just put in a small load of ash. Supposed to get down to 29 overnight. Was chilly in the house this morning after no fire last night. Small load of silver maple and ash earlier this evening to warm the flue and make some coals.

dang it was snowing when i left the house this morning at 6am central.

Haven't cleaned the pipe yet so fires are still fair game here!

I started the stove back up yesterday afternoon with ash hunks and chunks, and had some medium sized ash last night for the overnight load. Stove was running all day today and tonight still. Will asses again in the morning but honestly night-time temps are all in the 30's till the end of next week and the heat feels really nice after the stove being out for a few weeks. I might just keep it going till around May 1st. We'll see....

Currently 28 out, will be a little chilly this morning with overcast as well. Put another piece of juniper and pine in before work. Forecasting days to warm up but nights will continue in the 20-40 range. Night fires until May is typical.
34992E0B-3DC7-4E1C-A43D-BC7D17715E79.jpeg