What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Low 30Fs this morning/afternoon and clouds. Mostly pallet wood (pine) and chunks of white pine i've had sitting around from probably 8 years. Still solid. Have lots of oak (red and white), but saving that for real winter weather.
When are you due for your colder weather?

Good ole @rottiman sent us his cold weather, we had 8.4 this morning with another load of the maples and yellow birch heating the house. Our temp is at 32.6 this afternoon.
Hey, I love to share..................... we started at about 12 here this morning. It started to snow hard about 7 a.m. and lasted about 2 hours giving us 3". The temp climbed up into the mid 20's and is currently @ 26.

Hey, I love to share..................... we started at about 12 here this morning. It started to snow hard about 7 a.m. and lasted about 2 hours giving us 3". The temp climbed up into the mid 20's and is currently @ 26.
We're still at 30.2 tonight, we did get some snow that gave us a quick two inches later this afternoon but with the warmup and heavy rains coming, we won't have any left when Monday is over with.

Forecast shows 7F Monday night. I'll probably have to turn the furnace (nat gas) for the 1st time. 1st year burning wood, but i use to have a pellet stove.
We've had our share of colder nights so far this fall, by the way we're starting out it looks like it could be a winter of snow with rains moving in behind it, that will give us plenty of ice which sucks.

Snow i like and can deal with. Ice on the other hand…….impossible to deal with. Steep driveway to my house makes it me hating ice.

Weather has been so inconsistent here as per usual this time of year. Got a small fire of some half rotted red oak tree I cut up last year. That stuff dried fast this summer. 37F here currently.

Snow i like and can deal with. Ice on the other hand…….impossible to deal with. Steep driveway to my house makes it me hating ice.
The wife likes walking the dog on the trails around the house so when we get ice, it's a groan.

Usually our ice on the driveway doesn't get real bad until late February and March but when we get a winter with snow & rain, it gets bad.

104_0065.JPG

Yes the low Monday evening is supposed to be -7::F so I can hopefully burn up a lot of the scraps I have around.
Yes, and potentially up to 10" between early Sunday and Monday afternoon. I'll be heading back to the northwoods Monday morning in the slop. SE WI isn't supposed to get much snow.

Woke up at 8:30 and reloaded with a full load of maple and oak before looking at my phone and realizing it's going to be 45 today. Whoops. It's now 72 in here and we're approaching coaling. Shorts and t-shirt day inside here!

Remember to always check the weather before loading. I almost always do but was tired and lazy. Being so far ahead on wood though it's no biggie. Another case for getting as far ahead as you can!

Some oak and sassafras. Running it low because it's going to be 46 f but I don't want to restart for tonight. Tomorrow will be crazy: 59....

Some oak and sassafras. Running it low because it's going to be 46 f but I don't want to restart for tonight. Tomorrow will be crazy: 59....

I often run into the "I don't need heat now but I don't want to start from scratch tonight" situation this time of year. I usually end up feeding it a few splits at a time with the blower off just to keep it going. It's a little wasteful but we get some heat and the night load is much more effective. I absolutely hate starting my overnight fire in a cold stove. Sometimes I'll even light a tiny fire and reload on that to avoid it.

Another reason for getting ahead on wood so you can do these things!

I often run into the "I don't need heat now but I don't want to start from scratch tonight" situation this time of year. I usually end up feeding it a few splits at a time with the blower off just to keep it going. It's a little wasteful but we get some heat and the night load is much more effective. I absolutely hate starting my overnight fire in a cold stove. Sometimes I'll even light a tiny fire and reload on that to avoid it.

Another reason for getting ahead on wood so you can do these things!

Yes last time I started the stove cold, I made a fire of 11 or so 1 ft long 2*4s (that is 1/3-1/2 box for me). Gets it hot quick, burns down quick, and reloading at the right time for overnight makes things easy.

Today the stove is cruising very low (mine has a large turn down ratio, allowing to have 11000 BTU/hr output or so, which when heating from the basement is ok). But at 46 now, it's 71 in the home. Slightly higher than we like.

We had 24.2 this morning so I shut the pellet stove down. Since we started burning pine I had promised the wife that I would clean the chimney when we were done burning pine, I did that today, all was good and not much came down in the bag.