What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pine done. Reloaded with oak for overnight. 16 F now, minimum of 14 F in an hr, then 24 at 7am, going up to 38 tomorrow... Weird.

Next cooldown Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night.

Nice clean window btw from burning hotter :) (second pic with flame, first pic was door open).

View attachment 289650 View attachment 289652
Do you have a Nor'easter coming at you this weekend? Accu had it on TV when I was getting the fire going.

Yes seems like it. It depends on the exact path etc whether there will be (a lot) of snow. But that seems not to be predicted anymore, I see.
Friday night low of 10, Saturday high of 17, low of 11.
Wind depends a lot on path again.

I'll fill the rack in the garage so I'll be good (can easily run 2 wks off of that rack).

Yes seems like it. It depends on the exact path etc whether there will be (a lot) of snow. But that seems not to be predicted anymore, I see.
Friday night low of 10, Saturday high of 17, low of 11.
Wind depends a lot on path again.

I'll fill the rack in the garage so I'll be good (can easily run 2 wks off of that rack).
We'll get some wood in before a possible storm too, that will give me more time for plowing if we do get hit. Maybe all these areas I made for snow storage in the woods instead of just off the driveway can get some use.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Yes, I've seen the pics. Better put snow there if you mow them in summer :)

Here I manually shovel. Suburban smaller space.

But it is the first winter with a rack in the garage (with a door to the basement and stove). Before any bad weather i fill it up and it feels good.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Lows headed for 10-15 tonight, mostly red elm tonight with a piece of mahogany and some pine.
16B02532-1B66-496B-B4B1-A678F5BF69F0.jpeg

We had a low of 32 last night with some more red oak and post oak that went in the stove for the overnight. I decided against reloading this morning since it's going to get in the fifties today. We are supposed to have highs in the fifties tomorro then back in the forties friday before some colder air moves in and what's looking like some snow this weekend.

Currently in the 20s out, threw a few more splits of elm and juniper in this morning to carry us over. Highs are supposed to hit low 40s today so I’ll to the “wait and see method” before loading more.

After the second cup of coffee this morning we hit 20.7 with a high just over 29 today. The morning load was all yellow birch, it isn't the best stuff but the temp up here is 70 with the temp in the basement where the stove is at 78.

Reactions: Grizzerbear and MMH
Was using primarily red oak the last couple days during the cold snap but we're back to primarily red maple now.

I was looking out back and I think we've used about 1.5 cords so far this season. What about you guys? @stoveliker ?

Was using primarily red oak the last couple days during the cold snap but we're back to primarily red maple now.

I was looking out back and I think we've used about 1.5 cords so far this season. What about you guys? @stoveliker ?
We used five face cord of pine for shoulder season wood, after we're finished with the stack of yellow birch, that will make 6 face cord of hardwood, 4 of the 6 face cord was iffy hardwood, that will be the last time I raid our wood dump.

Sounds about right - really took off this past week.

Reactions: MMH
It's 27 out tonight with more punky yellow birch, some nice sugar maple with two nice size splits of ironwood going in the Liberty.

Lows headed for low-mid 20s tonight, a full load of pine went in for tonight’s fire. Have been using the “zipper method” that I found on here of course today and tonight to burn down all the built up coals from the last weeks mahogany and elm. Learn something new everyday.

We had a low of 33 last night with a big red oak split and some post oak and hickory that went in the buck for the overnight. It was 34 this morning when I loaded the stove with a decent size post oak round and two splits for the day. We are expecting a high of upper forties today.

Lows headed for low-mid 20s tonight, a full load of pine went in for tonight’s fire. Have been using the “zipper method” that I found on here of course today and tonight to burn down all the built up coals from the last weeks mahogany and elm. Learn something new everyday.
What is the "zipper method" exactly?

Reactions: NickW
My understanding of it is, rake your coals to the middle in front of the dog house (where the air comes in) and they burn down quicker.

Reactions: NickW
We had 26.4 this morning, the dog decided to get the wife up just after 4 a.m. so when I finally got up, she had a nice fire going.

As I understand, and someone correct me if wrong, you take your coals and rake them to the middle in a N/S heap, and lay splits in a N/S direction to each side and all over top etc (or any direction probably depending on what works for your stove). This helps to burn down your coals.

I had been burning mahogany and elm for about a week, so I had a stove FULL of coals. I tried this method for 24 hours (day fire and night fire) and it worked pretty well.

Interesting, I will have to try this. After burning a bunch of loads of oak my coal buildup is excessive and waiting for it to fully burn down isn't practical without losing heat output. Perhaps I will try it this weekend when the temps will be single digits.

Been low 30's last couple of days after some pretty chilly weather. Been burning Aspen during the days to minimize coal buildup. Going back to the icebox tomorrow so I topped off the inside rack today.

Test came back positive overnight, so 3 of the 4 of us were positive. Nobody has serious symptoms, but each has their own special little combination of some same, some different symptoms... Son is back to work following the latest guidelines, younger son who was negative is going to school, wife is working from home enjoying her man-slave making lunch for her, baking and doing dishes.

When I want to get rid of a coal mountain I just take them forward and let the air wash hit them. I'll throw on a pile of bark to give a boost of heat and help burn burn down too. It works quickly and you don't lose heat waiting. If you don't have bark you can use a few pieces kindling, say 2" or less bone dry pieces.

This is a common issue for hardwood burners during cold snaps so it's good to have a technique to deal with excess coals. The best technique though is prevention - once secondaries have stopped open the air back up and let it run as hot as safely possible. You'll end up with less coals and faster reloads.

The house was still warm yesterday evening before I went to bed so I never reloaded for the overnight. Woke up this morning to 32 outside so I lit the stove off with some more charred red oak from a brush fire and post oak rounds.

Reactions: MMH